Log In Sign Up

Alexander's Birth Take 2

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 29th, 2011, 10:00 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 1,834
Okay, as many of you know we had a horrible time of trying to induce my labor the first time around. It was hours of futile pain. We had our ultrasound on Friday to assess the baby's health and got the go ahead to wait until Monday's appointment to decide what to do. But Monday would be it.

At that appointment we found out that I had not dilated anymore BUT I was 70% effaced. Once you get 100% effaced you tend to really start dilating. The doctor felt that trying for another induction would be profitable. So we decided to try it.

I got fitted with cervidil (a different pre-induction drug than the one that I had before) which gives a continuous flow of the drugs instead of in installments. A large part of my pain last time was getting checked so often for progress and inserting new tablets. They hoped that this would be more successful. The whole pre-induction process takes 12 hours.

While still being treated with the cervidil I lost the rest of my mucus plug and began to have bloody show. Then my contractions started picking up. At the end of the 12 hours I was really hoping to be either 3-4cms because then they would start the Pitocin and break my water. It was a blow then to find out that I only advanced 1/2 a cm (to a total of 2cms) and only effaced to 80%. By this time my contractions were getting very powerful and I was experiencing a lot of discomfort. My nurse was getting very concerned and kept apologizing for suggesting it, but she felt that I should get an epidural.

I didn't want to risk an epidural because it can stall or halt the induction process and i wasn't even there yet! The doctor came in and listened to my concerns and to my surprise she strongly suggested that I DO get the epidural. She said that sometimes getting the epidural and giving me a chance to relax, get some sleep, and focus on loosening up can actually ADVANCE the dilation of my cervix!

And that is exactly what happened. So there you go. My cervix wasn't dilating because I was too tense/stressed.

In about 5 hours I advanced to 4 cms. The doctor felt good about breaking my water. She gets the wand and prods the bag. I felt a wave of water and then a very noticeable "THUNK" sensation right against my cervix. The water immediately quit flowing. The doctor stares. The nurses stare. "What happened to the rest of the water?" The doctor asks. I start to laugh "His big fat head is in the way!" And, indeed, it was. His head was corking the rest of the water. It would remain lodged there the rest of the labor.

A couple of hours after this I was woken up from a nap by a bunch of very strong pressure in my pelvis and in my left side. They gave me a bonus injection of the epidural (done through a pump already connected to me). It didn't work. The pain intensified. It got so horrifically painful that I couldn't even focus on breathing. The pitocin was giving me very powerful contractions right on top of one another. I felt a HUGE desire to push. They check me and I was praying that I was a 10. I was only 5. I could not stop screaming that I *had* to push. They ramped up my epidural again. After almost 2 hours of this I was a screaming, sobbing, quivering mess on the bed. FINALLY someone thinks to check my epidural needle.

It. Was. Out.

I had to get another epidural placed. Peace and tranquility was restored. I immediately went to sleep and didn't wake up again for a few more hours. At around 6pm on Tuesday I was groggy but chatting with my step-mother. I start to feel a horrific pressure in my left side again and down in my pelvic region. I immediately paged the nurse to come and check my epidural needle. No WAY in hell was I going to go through THAT again. She checks it and says everything is fine. I press the pump on my epidural to get a little kick. As she was heading out I thought to ask about how it would feel when I'm 10cms and ready to push.

"You will experience a TON of pressure on your bottom." she replies.

"Huh," I think. "That's kinda what I am feeling now." I shrug it off and press my pump again.

About 20 minutes later I feel like I'm about to have a most embarrassing accident on the bed. I whisper quietly to my Mom "Mom...I feel like I have to go poop REALLY BADLY." My Mom, misunderstanding me, says "I'll page your nurse to bring you a bed pan or something. That's gross."

Carrie, my step-mom, says "I don't think that's what she means..." I press my pump again (I can only do it every 10 minutes, so don't think I'm overdosing at this point!) and paged the nurse. I tell her that I felt like I'm going to have an accident. She comes in and checks me.

10 cms. And baby was ready for me to push! A mere 4 hours after my water was broken.

Instantly my room was transformed as a whole crew of people in scrubs came in wheeling a bunch of equipment. I opted to not get a local anesthetic because it was easier to feel how/where I was supposed to push. I would regret this decision later.

The epidural has made me groggy and all the breathing exercises have made me quite dizzy so much of my pushing is lost in a kind of painful frustrating haze. My Mom and Toby were screaming hysterically that they could see the head and that I was really close. I got excited and demanded them to bring in the mirror. I wanted something to concentrate on. I thought that the head was halfway out or something. To my EXTREME dismay the head was barely even presenting itself. At this point I was so out of it that I almost announced that I was going to go back to sleep and for them to tell me when his head came out.

Anyway, I don't have much room to complain. I only pushed for a half an hour. But I got a nice big rip for it. Which was awful.

The baby emerged and they threw him on my chest. He was slightly purple and was twitching. But was not making a peep. I'm rubbing on his chest and back and saying "Scream baby, scream!" My Mom told me later that she was trying desperately not to panic as well. It felt like forever, but could only have been seconds, before he took his first breath and SCREAMED.

I burst into tears and clutched him to me. From there the next few hours was a pleasant rush of holding and kissing my baby, sharing him with families, testing, etc. When we finally got to lay down and go to sleep I was way too jazzed. I spent a good portion of our first night together holding Alex against my skin and singing to him

Alex is a big baby but he still looks impossibly small to me. He sucks his thumb regularly (yay! No nipple confusion!) and is already doing some impressive feats of turning with his head. I think that's because of all the Tums I downed while pregnant.

He is definitely worth everything

'Scuse the bad typing, please. 'Breast is Best' but not when browsing the internet!

Reply With Quote
May 30th, 2011, 04:27 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 9,490
aww...what an up and down story.....with of coarse the perfect ending HUGS and Congrats again!
Momma to Emma, Elzie, Gretchen, Olive, and Rogan

We aren't to give a baby milk, berries, or peanut butter. We are to introduce new foods one at a time. But it's OK to inject several viruses, bacteria, aluminum, formaldehyde, phenoxyethanol, animal serum, mercury, squalene and more into an 8 week old? I don't think so.
In order to be healthy it is an unfortunate fact that people must be allowed the opportunity to be ill. I trust my body and those of my children to work correctly against the relatively benign diseases they vax for, and do not trust the ingredients in the vaccinations.
Our choice to not vax isn't based in ignorance, poverty, conspiracy theory and rumor. It's research, common sense, fact and evidence based..something the medical community has largely forgot about.
Reply With Quote
May 31st, 2011, 02:28 PM
Pinkee~'s Avatar All girl momma!
Join Date: May 2009
Location: UT
Posts: 9,118
Yikes about the epi!!! So glad in the end it all worked out with no section and you finally got your sweet baby boy! Congrats!!!

Reply With Quote
May 31st, 2011, 04:09 PM
Beth04's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Deland, FL
Posts: 4,056
Wow, sounds like you had a rough labor like I did! Congrats!

thank you gypsystar for my wonderful siggy!
Reply With Quote
May 31st, 2011, 06:04 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 1,834
Originally Posted by Pinkee~ View Post
Yikes about the epi!!! So glad in the end it all worked out with no section and you finally got your sweet baby boy! Congrats!!!
I was so relieved to not get a c-section! But, no matter how he got here, I'm truly glad that he is healthy

'Scuse the bad typing, please. 'Breast is Best' but not when browsing the internet!

Last edited by MerinSun; May 31st, 2011 at 06:12 PM.
Reply With Quote

may 11 bumblebee births

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:43 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0