Log In Sign Up

The arrival of Mia Rose (very detailed, very long!)

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 6th, 2011, 09:01 AM
LuvMyLwAaMr's Avatar *Heather*
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: NY (not the city)
Posts: 1,330
Well the day I never thought would come, came... I went into labor on my own!

For the week prior to Mia's arrival, I had some back pain and cramping, but nothing too much more than what I've had for most of my pregnancy. I got hopeful, but wasn't too confident it would ever turn into anything on it's own. On Saturday 5/28, I was a little more exhausted than usual but just assumed it was because I was overdue, super huge, and overdid it that day. I had noticed later in the afternoon that baby girl hadn't moved all day so I got my heart monitor out, annoyed her quick, and she wiggled all over the place. We had spent the day getting things ready at our house, went back to SIL's pretty late, I fell asleep snuggled on the couch with my 2yr old, no signs of any labor, even the back pain was gone. We woke up at 3:30, I put him in bed, had some ice cream, and crawled into bed at 4, falling asleep quickly... still no signs of any labor.

At 4:30am I woke up with a pretty strong cramp. I sat there contemplating whether or not it was anything to be alarmed about, but assured myself I wasn't going to labor on my own so quit getting my hopes up and go back to sleep. I had a few more cramps so I decided to just send dh a text letting him know I was pretty crampy but didn't think it was anything to worry about and that I would get ahold of him if I thought he needed to leave work. By 5am my cramps turned to contractions 6mins apart but I still had it in my head that it was going to turn into nothing. With only a few contractions 6 mins apart, then getting stronger, I decided to call dh @ 5:15am. I told him I was having contractions 6 minutes apart, didn't think they were going to lead to anything, but maybe he should come home just in case because they were getting pretty painful. I called my mom and told her the same thing @ 5:30am. After I got off the phone with my mom I had a contraction after another 6 minutes, then the next one was 3 minutes... and the next one was 4 minutes... and they kept coming every 3 minutes. For as concerned as I had been the entire pregnancy about not making it to the hospital, here I am with painful contractions 3 minutes apart, a 45 minute drive to the hospital, and not even hurrying to get ready to go... instead I'm thinking about doing laundry just in case I don't get sent home from the hospital (I realize now why everyone thought I was crazy) DH got home, my parents and sister got there, everyone was ready to run out the door, so I decided it was time to get my shoes on and go... so 6am we head out the door to the hospital.

By the time we got in the car, my contractions were coming right on top of each other and getting stronger and stronger... the last place I wanted to be was sitting in a car. I'm pretty sure my mom made the drive in 25-30 minutes. DH called the dr on the way there and when they asked how close the contractions were he said "Ummm she can't tell... they don't seem to stop" Thank goodness they remember how quickly I go, the dr was there in no time. When we got to the hospital, my mom and dh tried getting me to go through the emergency entrance to go through admitting and such, but I refused... I was going straight upstairs and pushing this baby out.

We get up to L&D, they put me in a room, and I was ready to strip my clothes off and change the second I walked through the door. Then they give me the most annoying nurse they have... I'm clearly not catching a break from the contractions and she wants to sit and do paperwork and talk like nothing is going on. All my signatures were a big H and a scribble. I get into bed, my dr pops in to see how I'm doing, the lady with the IV comes in, everyone preps for me to pass out or come close to it, and this amazing lady slides it in like nothing. I told her she was my hero for the day and had her sign my tape I think the anxiety of the IV was adding to my pain because once it was in, I could relax... a little. They hooked up my antibiotics for the group B and this nurse tries telling me that I have to wait to have the baby until I get the entire first dose in... and she wasn't even kidding Yes lady, I am going to keep this baby inside of me, because I have complete control over it. I start getting the urge to push with my contractions, so I let my lovely nurse know... she says ok and doesn't tell my dr. I caught a second to breathe, my mom asks if I'm having another contraction, this nurse pushes ABOVE my belly and says "Oh no... it's nice and soft... no contraction" I was rock hard and having a contraction so I snapped at her and said "Well it sure does HURT for not being a contraction!!!" I'm now stressing over this lady, can feel myself letting the pain and anger take over me so I'm not focusing through my contractions, ready to scream and cry and tell them that I changed my mind and just can't do this. At this point I close my eyes, hope that this nice lady is getting my dr, and tell baby girl "Ok Mia... we can do this... Mommy's going to relax and we can do this" I just kept my eyes closed, breathing through contractions, ignoring whatever this lady is trying to say to me. And still want to push... still no dr... so I tell dh to go find my dr because I NEED to push. Finally the nurse says "Ok, well let me check and see where you're at" ... 8cm... Lady... get my dr because those last 2cm could be gone in 30 seconds.

My Dr comes in, whatever cart they need for delivery is in the hall still, not ready to go, she checks me and says I'm 10cm but baby girl still hasn't dropped... this girl was still way up there, so they broke my water. They tell me to give a couple good pushes to see if we can get her down, but haven't dropped the end of the bed to actually prep for delivery. I give 2 big pushes and everyone yells for me to stop, I tried, but just cried back that I couldn't stop. Now I was nervous cuz they did this with my 2nd too because his arm was trying to come first, so I assumed something was wrong and no one was saying anything. They just told me don't worry about not being able to stop, to just let my body go with it. After the second one, I was able to breath for what seemed like a couple minutes... I've come this far and the thought still pops into my head "great, everything is stopping, I'm not really having this baby today and I'm going home." They tell me to go ahead and push again when I'm ready, I started to but quit after like 3 seconds... I started doubting again that I could ever do it. Closed my eyes, took a big breath, said "Ok Mia... let's just do this and get it over with..." 2 more pushes and my baby girl was out

My baby that I was sure was at least 9lbs was born at 7:12am on 5/29 weighing in at a tiny 8lbs 0.8oz They thought I was nuts when I kept saying how tiny she was... but with both her brothers just under 9lbs, she was tiny to me, dh, and my mom!

They put her right on my belly, let the cord stop on its own before clamping and cutting (I know many of you have talked about this, I forget exactly what you call it...), and the whole experience was just so different than the other two because they kept her with us, did everything right in the room with us, and they never did any of that with the boys, they were always taken away pretty quickly to the nursery for everything.

Now that she was out I asked dh if something was wrong when they yelled to quit pushing... he said it was just because the dr didn't even have her gloves for delivery on yet and nobody was ready for this baby to pop out! They never did get to drop the bed and prep for delivery.

No tearing, no pain meds, quick delivery... Looking back I'd say everything went great, but in the moment I was sure I was going to die and had no idea how I had already delivered 2 children without pain meds

My dr did tell us we were very lucky... she showed us the placenta, and the very short cord had attached right to the side of it, rather than in the center, and it was very close to attaching to the bag of fluids. She said because of the position of the cord on it, had I had a longer labor there was a good chance the cord would have gotten compressed.

The only trouble we ran into was with jaundice. She had 30hrs of phototherapy and has been doing great since... we are all absolutely in love with her

Reply With Quote
June 7th, 2011, 01:52 AM
Pinkee~'s Avatar All girl momma!
Join Date: May 2009
Location: UT
Posts: 9,118
What a great story!! 3rd babies must be the trouble makers My 3rd was my hardest & fastest labor!

Reply With Quote
June 7th, 2011, 06:02 AM
LuvMyLwAaMr's Avatar *Heather*
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: NY (not the city)
Posts: 1,330
Thanks! She was actually my longest labor I still can't believe she's actually here... I haven't really shared her with anyone yet!

Reply With Quote
June 8th, 2011, 01:13 PM
Mommy to girls
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 2,014
Great story!
Kim- Mommy to 5 girls
Reply With Quote

may 11 bumblebee births

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:41 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0