Log In Sign Up

Josie May's drug free birth story!

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 12th, 2011, 10:01 PM
Randijo2's Avatar Mommy of 4
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: IL
Posts: 4,497
On the morning of May 2nd I awoke with contractions 10 min apart for an hour while I laid in bed. I began to wonder, could today be the day?? So I got up to get my oldest 2 kids ready for school in hopes to see some progress. I didn't want to get my hopes up too much because I knew my track record of long drawn out early labors! So when I got up and moved around everything pretty much died down. I was having contractions but very spaced out and all over the place and sometimes nothing for an hour or two. I took Raylea to playgroup and the park hoping to speed something up.... but nope... not much. Later that evening around dinner time I think... Contractions were coming a little bit more regular but nothing painful really. It was chat night and I remember being in chat saying that my contractions were about 7 minutes apart with some pain and I was going to bed because I wanted to see if I could sleep and if things would continue. I had such a hard time sleeping! I just wanted to time them! I remember waking up several times and hardly sleeping and timing them. Once when I woke up they were 6 min apart and I was kind of afraid to go back to sleep because I had a house full of kids and it was the middle of the night! I got up and got online and timed some more and then decided to do the dishes. Once they spaced back out to like 10-12 min, I was like screw it I'm going back to bed. It was so annoying! When I woke up in the morning after getting only 2.5 hours of sleep my contractions were about 7 minutes apart. I got up and got the oldest 2 ready again and hoped (again) that the moving around would get them closer together. They stayed about 7 min apart until around 11-12 in the afternoon I think. I had the DirecTV guy here all freaking morning while I was having contractions and I never let it be known to him that I was. lol I was so glad when he finally left! At that point there were about 6 min apart. As soon as he left I was on a mission to get out walking. My youngest DD was with her dad because I was exhausted from being up all night and was still contracting and knew I would not be a good mommy for her all day! Luckily right before I was going to go walk Eva reminded me to eat! I was texting her and I completely forgot about lunch! So I hurried up and ate a sandwich and then went on my walk. I did a fast paced walk for about 30 min I tried to do lots of circling around so I didn't get too far from the house. I got back from my walk at about 130 I believe. During that walk the contractions picked up to about 2-4 min apart. The ones that were 2&3 min apart were less painful. I knew I was irritating something and it was picking up but I still didn't believe it would stick. Well, after I got home I tried to lay down for a nap before having to pick up my son from school at 3 since I had gotten such little sleep the night before. When I laid down after my nap it took 8 minutes to have my next contraction but it was PAINFUL... then it took 6 minutes... and after a few more they seemed to be coming every 4-6 minutes regularly. I called DH because I was in a lot of pain and didn't think I could drive to pick my son up. But, I was still in denial about needing to go to the hospital. DH normally doesn't get off work until 6pm so I knew I needed him earlier than that and he just needed to get off now. In the meantime... from about 220pm-315pm things were getting pretty dang painful. I was beginning to wonder if I had waited too long and if DH needed to get DS a little earlier than 3 and hurry the heck up. But, I stuck it out and got all our bags completely ready and in the living room so we could leave as soon as they got home. DD got off the bus and DH and DS got here all about 315. We were out the door 5-10 min later and we dropped off the kids down the street at a friend's house and then headed to the hospital. At this point, the contractions were consistently 4 min apart and I was very uncomfortable. I remember whining on the way to the hospital about how I know I'm going to end up needing the epidural and I do not want it. I hate it. We get to the hospital and I did all my registration stuff and then wheel me up to labor and delivery. As soon as they got me to the triage room I was going to be in I just broke down in tears. I don't know what made me do it... maybe nervousness? Hormones? Who knows... I had the nurse and DH worried for a minute though lol. After I got changed the nurse asked a bunch of questions. She asked what I wanted for pain and I told her I guess epidural but would rather have nothing. She hooked me up and explained they keep you in triage for an hour to see how you progress. She checked me and I was 3cm and completely thinned out. That was big for me! Usually I am barely a 1 when I first get to triage. So after 40 min I called her back in and told her that I didn't think I should wait the whole hour because I was very uncomfortable and was GBS positive. She decided to not check me again and just get me into a room. When we got in the room they checked me after a bit... so probably about 1.5-2hrs after I got there and I was 7-8. Right then and there, I KNEW I was doing it natural. I told DH I was kind of freaked out by it all, but glad. I told the nurse there was no point in pain meds at that point because I had made it this far. She was all for it! I was able to stand, move and rock around. And no monitors on my belly!! My nurse was the perfect person to have, she had had 3 natural births herself. I swear I couldn't have done it without her. Her shift was over at 7 and I had Josie at 734 and she stuck around for me. She wouldn't even leave the room because she was worried I would suddenly be ready to push. There was this stupid med student that came in at one point and wanted me to lay flat on the bed and do an u/s to double check the baby's head position. I told him only if it was really quick. He said it would be and then ended up taking forever and I had to tell him to stop. I wanted to kick him in the face. In the meantime the nurse was finally getting my IV in to give me antibiotics for the GBS. Even though we all knew there was no way it was going to be 4 hours before Josie was here. The doctor that requires the ultrasounds to check head position came back in and said she needed to check it herself and I told her it needed to be super fast because I was hardly getting a break between contractions. She seriously took like half a second. I told her the other guy seemed like he was doing a freaking anatomy scan and was NOT fast. He happened to be in the room and I didn't know because my eyes were closed and he apologized. LOL! So the dr checked me again and I think I was almost complete but just had a little lip of cervix left. They started getting the room ready for baby. My favorite position through most of it was standing with DH and I facing each other and me hugging him rocking back and forth. But when I got to where I was almost completely dilated I had to lay down, I was getting exhausted from the pain even though it had only been a few hours in the hospital. I hated laying down but my body just couldn't stand anymore so I laid on my sides and made lots of groaning noises to get through the pain. I held onto DH as much as I could from the bed. My nurse decided to recheck me because I was saying I couldn't take it anymore. She said she didn't feel the lip there anymore and the doctor checked herself and it wasn't. The nurse said I could push if I felt it would help with the pain. The baby was still up kind of high but she knew from her own experience pushing helps the pain. The doctors in the room (there was a resident) weren't too excited with that idea but they allowed it I guess. The doctors in general were not real thrilled that I didn't have an epi, I don't know why, it was stupid. They seemed kind of put off by it. So anyway, I did some pushing to get her moved down and to get myself through the pain. I finally got to where I was feeling tons of pressure and I was ready to push with all my mite to get this over with! With the first couple pushes the bag of water broke and shot out and got on the doctor... haaa haaa... That's what you get. I remember making some growling noises during pushing, DH said it was pretty wild and he was kind of like 'eek should we have done it this way?' lol he didn't like seeing me in pain. I also told them to 'get her out now, I want her out' lol I guess I didn't like all that pressure and didn't want to feel it anymore! I pushed like crazy and I seriously felt like my eyes were going to pop out of my head. And before I knew it, she was here. The nurse hurried up and pulled my gown and bra down and put her right on top of me. DH cut the cord. It was an awesome feeling to have her on me like that. I had never had automatic skin to skin like that. I was so in love and kept telling her it was okay and I love her. Such a sweet sweet moment! She was 8lbs 11.8oz 22inches long. Born at 7:34 pm on May 4th, 2011. She had the thickest longest hair I'd ever seen on a new baby of my own, that was shocking! The first thing I noticed was that she had DH's nose. She's almost his mini - me. Just got momma's lips. Well, that's my story and I'm sticking to it. Miss thang is fussing at me now so I need to wrap it up!!!

Oh and i just wanted to add, I felt like SUPER WOMAN knowing that I did all that with no drugs, it was truly an amazing feeling!!! Even the rest of my stay in the hospital I had no pain meds.
Randi -
Mommy to Madelynne - 10, Cohen - 7, Raylea - 3, Josie May 5/4/11

Reply With Quote
June 14th, 2011, 08:44 PM
Mommy to girls
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 2,014
Great story Randi! Sounds like an awesome experience!!
Kim- Mommy to 5 girls
Reply With Quote
June 19th, 2011, 04:23 PM
HippyMomOf4's Avatar Hippy Mom Extraordinaire
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Tulare, CA
Posts: 13,686
Send a message via AIM to HippyMomOf4 Send a message via MSN to HippyMomOf4 Send a message via Yahoo to HippyMomOf4
great birth story! Yay for a natural birth

Reply With Quote
June 22nd, 2011, 11:19 PM
Pinkee~'s Avatar All girl momma!
Join Date: May 2009
Location: UT
Posts: 9,118
Im kindof shocked they didnt get you on the meds before they did. With my Alex that was one of the first things they did.

Amazing story! Congrats momma! Its kindof funny reading this story makes me think of the saying "I am mom! Hear me roar!"

Reply With Quote
June 23rd, 2011, 07:23 AM
Randijo2's Avatar Mommy of 4
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: IL
Posts: 4,497
Originally Posted by Pinkee~ View Post
Im kindof shocked they didnt get you on the meds before they did. With my Alex that was one of the first things they did.

Amazing story! Congrats momma! Its kindof funny reading this story makes me think of the saying "I am mom! Hear me roar!"
I think they just kind of knew it was not going to be enough time period.
Randi -
Mommy to Madelynne - 10, Cohen - 7, Raylea - 3, Josie May 5/4/11

Reply With Quote

may 11 bumblebee births

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:06 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0