Log In Sign Up

Brenna Rose entry into the world

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 8th, 2011, 07:25 PM
tyggrlili25's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: San Diego
Posts: 18,724
Send a message via AIM to tyggrlili25 Send a message via Yahoo to tyggrlili25
Friday night on the 10th I was having contractions all night long. They hurt enough to wake me up and they were regular but never got closer or stronger. I was finally able to fall asleep around 7 am on Saturday morning and when I woke up again the contractions had stopped completely.
Saturday morning the 11th I would get a contraction here and there. Few and far between and they weren't hurting like they did the night before. So we decided to do some walking. We went to the farmers market and walked around but I had all of one contraction the whole time..and again nothing to painful. Throughout the day this continued and they would be painful but again they were random. No closer together and not really lasting a long time. So I basically said okay...well lets go to the zoo and walk around...either they continue like this and its tolerable, it gets things moving, or it stops again. I am okay with any of those options.
So we get to the Zoo around 2 pm and we start walking around. The contractions were starting to get longer, stronger but I didnt have a watch/clock so I had no idea how close they were getting. Towards 4:30-ish I noticed they were definitely getting closer together. We decided to leave around 5:30 and by then we were guessing they were about 5 minutes a part. Got into the car to leave and head to the in laws to see if they would keep coming or stop again. They were about 5 to 4 minutes a part by then.
Hubby downloaded an app on his phone to time contractions and they were anywhere from 2-5 minutes apart and strong but they were only lasting about 30 seconds. Of course you hear the usual "don't come to the hospital until you are 5-1-1 (5 minutes a part, lasting 1 minute for 1 hour). So I sat on the exercise ball, walked around, did pelvic tilts...whatever I could do to keep them coming and get them to last a bit longer.
By 8:30 on Saturday evening I was in incredible pain..and I finally got the 511..that they require to check in. Only by then they were 1 to 2 minutes a part, lasting a minute plus some. So they were right on top of each other and by now I was feeling tremendous back labor and told hubby its time to go now!! The hospital is only 5 minutes from the in laws house. We left and said goodbye to Kaylee...that was super hard for me. Kaylee kissed and hugged me and said "Bye Momma love you...bye Brenna see you tomorrow!" Of course as we drove off Kaylee was not concerned at all about staying her first night away from Chris and I..she has this weird attachment to our new car lol...(totally different story but really funny)...so all she said was "wheres my new car going?" lol

Onto the birth story -
We arrived at the hospital around 8:40 and checked in. They asked how my contractions were and if my water had brok yet. They sent me into triage to check me out and get some back story. Hooked me up to the monitor and checked my cervix. I was ONLY 1 centimeter and 70% effaced.....are you kidding me??? I was feeling really discouraged about going natural since that was the status and I was having incredible back labor...but I pushed on for a bit. After about 10 minutes on the monitor the nurse said with your contraction pattern being this fast and furious and being GBS + we are going to admit you, start you on antibiotics and see where it goes. I get into my room...which is HUGE and gorgeous lol. Get hooked up to the IV's and and machines. The doctor covering for my ob came in and introduced himself and said as long as things went well I wouldnt see him again. I guess they only attend more serious deliveries and the the midwives take care of deliveries if everything looks good. Which I loved. Everything seemed so relaxed. I tried to labor as long as I could and by 9:30 I am just in so much pain with the back labor and figured it was going to be a long time being only 1 cm dilated that I ask for the epidural. The anesthesiologist came in and did the epi around 10 pm and they checked me again...couldnt believe I was already at 5 cm and 100%. So of course I felt kind of like a failure for asking for the epi but nothing to be done now. I was able to relax a little and I eventually asked them to turn it off since I had made that much progress on my own in such a short amount of time. The nurse said she could tell by the monitor on my contractions that it was working hard and we would have a baby here really shortly. 30 minutes later I asked them to check again because I starting to feel some pressure. I was 6-7 cm dilated and the water bag was bulging a little bit.
They left dh and I alone and told me to call them if I felt my water break or if I felt unbearable pressure/urge to push. I think the epi slowed things down a little because I didnt feel anything until about 11:45.Brenna's heart rate kept decelerating so I needed oxygen for a little bit and that helped her. I thought I felt some warm trickle of the water..and the nurse came in to check and said yes she thinks it broke too and to call her back when I felt the urge to push. I called her back in at 12:10...I felt MAJOR pressure but no pain. They went to check me and apparently the bag hadnt broken completely there was just a leak so she broke the bag since it was bulging out and Brenna's head was RIGHT there. They called the midwife in and she checked and was like "Whoa okay...don't sneeze, cough or laugh cause she will be born!" hehe. So the nurse prepped everything and the doctor got her gown thing on and sat to the side of the bed and told me whenever I felt pressure to push. I felt a contraction and pushed with it and her head was born with an easy push...the midwife asked me to stop. Brenna's cord was around her neck, under her arm and around her torso..she was alllll tangled in it so she unwrapped her and told me push again and she was out in two pushes. She was born at 12:25 am on Sunday June 12th. Midwife placed her on my belly and they cleaned her off. They eventually took her to check her sugars and do all the measurements and stuff. She weighed 5 lbs 14 oz and was 19 inches long. The placenta came out within 5 minutes and apparently it was perfect timing for Brenna to be born because the midwife said if she were in there any longer the placenta would have started to deteriorate. The midwife said I tore slightly and needed two stitches so she stitched that up and dh held her for that, especially since I was super shaky. Brenna's Apgar score was 8 then 9. They requested a complete blood count for her and it was high so they needed to do a repeat it in a couple hours.
After about two hours they took us into our postpartum room.
I couldnt believe how different this experience was compared to Kaylee's birth. It was so relaxed..there were THREE people in the room when I delivered Brenna. The nurse, the midwife and DH. With Kaylee it was like 15 people at LEAST and it was so high stress. Anyway we were able to go home Monday afternoon and so far she has been perfect. She sleeps great and eats well..very low key so far.

Reply With Quote
July 27th, 2011, 09:02 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Virginia Beach ,VA
Posts: 3,789
AMAZING hun! I am glad she came when she did and you didn't have any complications ! She is adorable !

Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:28 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0