Log In Sign Up

The VBAC of Aubrey Nicole LONG

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 1st, 2011, 11:44 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ottumwa, Iowa
Posts: 1,412
On July 22nd my Dr. made the decision to induce me for postdates. He wanted to induce me that night after an ultrasound showed that I was on the lower side of amniotic fluid but my DH had a gig and I really wanted him to be able to be there for the whole labor/delivery, so he agreed to wait until Sunday night. At that appointment I was still closed.

On July 24th, we drove to the hospital to begin a pitocin induction. After we got there I was checked and I was fingertip-1 cm dilated. (yay!) through the night they begin upping the pitocin in small increments. I was handling the contractions very well and so was baby. <3

We were checked again the next morning at 730 and I was only 1 cm dilated. I began to cry because I knew since I was VBACing that I had to make progress or they would have to perform a c-section and I didn't want that at all. The nurses and Dr. were very happy with the progress I made because the baby had moved down more. (I didn't want to hear that because I was so focused on still being only 1 cm dilated.)

Around 1030, they came in and checked me again and I was only dilated to a 2. Again they were very happy because my cervix was shortening and baby had come down more, but I was so stuck on the number I cried for an hour. My DH and I walked for about an hour until I just couldn't handle the contractions anymore, I asked to get into the tub knowing that it would probably slow my labor down but needing a break.

At 230 the pressure was so intense that I just knew that I wouldn't be able to withstand labor any longer. I asked to be checked. I was at 4 cm and had bulging waterbag. She asked if she could break my water, but told me that things would only get more intense after she did so that she would wait until after I got my epi. I really didn't want the epidural though and my husband reminded me how badly I wanted this natural childbirth so I told her to go ahead and do it. Sweet relief!! After she broke my water the pressure lessened (Thank God!!) and the contractions became bearable again.

At this point we tried getting on the birthing ball. The baby was facing the wrong way so I began to start feeling my contractions in the back as well. I got on the bed in hands and knees position and tried to get baby to turn. No such luck. I asked to get back into the tub and stayed in there for hours.

(I don't really know the times anymore since there was no clock in the bathroom so I'm just gonna guesstimate)

Around 5 p.m. I thought I was ready to push and called and asked to be checked. I was only dilated to 5 cm. I was so upset because the pain was unbearable. How do women do this naturally I asked myself? LOL. I finally broke down and asked for some Nubain for the pain. I ended up falling asleep in the tub for the next 1 hour 45 minutes. I don't think I would have been able to make it through without the power nap, but I felt like such a failure for taking the medicine. I had been hellbent on doing it as naturally as possible and I just couldn't do it.

I woke up and begged for more Nubain around 650p.m. They told me that I had to wait until 715. I cried. My body was pushing but when they checked me I was only 7 cm. My nurse told me to try hands and knees through a couple contractions but I couldn't. I kept telling them "I'm pushing" and they kept telling me to breathe through the contractions and not to push because I would make my cervix swell up. They checked me again and I was at 8.5. My DH had just left to go outside and smoke before delivery. Luckily, my dad had texted him that it was happening now and he had to get back up there.

I guess while I was in the tub there was 4-5 nurses preparing the room for delivery. I had 5 people help me out of the tub, and it took 15 minutes. The contractions were right on top of each other and I didn't want to walk. I was freezing because I had been in the tub for 3ish hours so they were also trying to dry me off.

I made it to the bed and laid down. 9 cm...1 contraction later 9.5 cm with an anterior lip. The Dr. tried to push the anterior lip back while I had another contraction. (She is a very brave Dr. because that hurt like h-e-double hockey sticks!! ) I was ready to push. I made them give me another shot of Nubain, which I deeply regret, but I wasn't having them talk me out of it.

I started pushing. My first was a "pathetic attempt" according to my husband. And my body didn't want to wait for contractions anymore, it just wanted to push this baby out. The nurse got me calmed down and I grabbed my legs and pushed 3 times through the next contraction. I had a hundred people screaming "push, push, push, more, more, more" at me and I gave it everything I had. My nose spontaneously started runny (which my husband told me was a bloody nose) and I just picked up the baby blanket and wiped my nose. The next contraction came and I pushed 3 times and baby was out.

They told me husband to tell me what the baby was and he said, "I see a leg." DOH!! Then he told me we had a little girl and they put her up on my chest. I can only remember saying that she was so small. The nurses assured me she was normal sized and that she was perfect. Because of the medicine that I had taken right before delivery she was very whiny and fussy. After they told me it was from the Nubain I was very upset. My poor sweet baby was upset and it was over something I had taken for myself. I felt so selfish.

But anyway, here are the stats:
Born at 7:53 p.m.
Weight: 7lbs 9.8oz
Height: 20" (which at her pedi appointment at 4 days she was 19 3/4" but I know it's not an exact science so whatever.)

I was so surprised she was so tiny because my son was a 37 weeker and he weighed 7lbs 4.5oz. I had totally expected and 8 or 9 pound baby. I am so happy that I got my VBAC and even with the 2nd degree tear this recovery had been much easier and better. I love that I can pick up my almost 2 year old and get down and play.
Reply With Quote
January 20th, 2012, 02:34 AM
justjaQ's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Sterling Heights, MI
Posts: 19,640
congratulations. you did a great job.
msjaQ- 28, pantheist AP detroit mama to:
timothy michael, august 31, 2003, 12:02pm, 8 lb. 4 oz., 21"- 38 wks.
melissa may, april 7, 2006, 1:31pm, 7 lb. 10.5 oz., 19.5"- 36.5 wks
nicholas michael, january 31, 2010, 5:12pm, 5 lb. 11 oz., 18.25"- 37.1 wks
damon michael, january 21, 2012, 1:31am, 6 lb. 14 oz., 20", 38 wks
rainbow baby left me at 6-1/2 weeks on 09.08.12~ never forgotten, sweet child

Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:23 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0