Log In Sign Up

Joshua's Birth Story

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 25th, 2011, 01:43 AM
jdt's Avatar
jdt jdt is offline
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,897
Here is Joshua's birth story (sorry it's a bit long):

Since I had gestational diabetes the dr. had scheduled me for a growth ultrasound to check baby's size. This was on Aug. 4 @ 3:40 pm. Earlier in the week it was discovered that Joshua had turned breech again so the dr also wanted to check to see if he might've turned again. If he was still breech then since my dr was the on call dr in labor & delivery I would go down and see him so he could perform an external version.

My husband and I get to the ultrasound and everything is looking good. The technician is showing us his hands, feet, etc. We did find out he was still breech. At the end of the appt I had asked the tech how big he was and she brushed off my question by commenting that the dr had to take a look at the report and he'll get back to us. I didn't think too much of it, even though i had seen measurements of just over 34 wks on the screen. I was too busy looking at the pictures and being upset that he was still breech.

So at just after 4ish we headed down to labor and delivery to see my dr. Luckily a room was available so they got me in and hooked me up to the monitor. My dr came in about 15 mins later and had a chat with us. It turns out that instead of Joshua being the correct size or overly big he was too small. He diagnosed me with IUGR. He then told us some more about it and then started talking about him being breech but he had to run out of the room suddenly as someone was having their baby. Turns out we had to wait an hour as he delivered two babies during this time.

When he came back he began talking about what we can do since Joshua was breech. From the sonagram it was found that my placenta was laying on top therefore doing an external version was risky since it could cause placental abruption therefore leading to an emergency c section. He said he advised against an external but would attempt it if we wanted it We declined the version due to the risk. He told me that basically with him being breech, me having diabetes, and having IUGR that it was best that the baby come out sooner than later and suggested a c section. He did know that I was seriously against a c section and he did give me the option that I could wait until labor started and try and deliver him vaginally but if anything went wrong then an emergency c section was needed. He did advise us in his opinion that I get the c section and that I do as soon as possible for the reasons stated plus baby would probably thrive better outside the womb rather than inside.

The dr left the room so my husband and I could talk about it. A part of me wanted to wait it out and try and have him vaginally, like my girls, but my husband kept telling me that even though he understood I didn't want a c section he said an emergency one would be worse and he didn't want me to go through that. Plus we figured if he could grow better outside rather than in it would be best to get him out. So c section it was.

My husband went and got the dr and we told him our decision. Based on when I last ate and drank he said that he could do the section around 1 or 2 am on Friday morning. My jaw dropped. I was not expecting it so soon. I didn't know how to react. The dr did have 2 sections already scheduled during his shift so since he wanted the baby out asap he said I would have to be admitted right then and there so that they could put me on the schedule. I was pretty dumbfounded. I wasn't prepared for this. I said well i want to see my kids before this happens. So the dr says that's fine. They can get picked up and brought to the hospital. So stupid me thought that meant I could go with my husband to see my kids and the dr. says no your husband not you. You're staying.

So I got admitted. My husband stayed with me for a little bit to make sure I was alright. He left at around 7:30ish. The dr came in one more time after my husband left and had noticed how often I was contracting on the monitor so he decided to check me. Turns out that I was in early stages of labor. I was already 2 cm. Dr. said either way the baby would've came that weekend.

In the meantime a nurse came and asked me a ton of questions. Then a little later the anesthesiologist came in and talked to me. She asked me the standard questions of when I last ate and drank and if I had any questions or concerns. Well at that point I burst out crying. I just was so upset and disappointed that I had to go thru this. Then I was scared to death of the spinal. I probably cried for about 10 mins. The poor lady just sat there and kept talking to me and hunted for tissues. I felt a little better when she had told me that she had 4 c sections and she was fine.

At about 8:20ish I was moved to a different room. At 8:30 my husband and daughters came and visited me. During this time my dr came into the room and told us he had great news. He didn't realize water didn't count for the time allotment needed before surgery. Since my last solid food was at 12:30, I could get my c section earlier. So instead of 2am it was now scheduled for 10pm. OH WOW did I flip. I did not want my girls there no matter what. So we had to hurry our visit so my husband could take them home and then hurry and come back. It takes about 40 mins round trip so we finished our visit and my husband took them home. The dr and nurse assured us they wouldn't start the surgery until he came back.

After my husband left it was all prep time. The anesthesiologist came back in and started an IV. She was very kind to me and kept reassuring me. Heck she even found my vein on the first try without sticking me a bunch. I was still in a kind of limbo not quite believing that I had to have a c section and that my baby was about to be born so soon. By 9:45pm I started texting my husband to find out where he was as I could tell they were just about ready and were just waiting on him. He finally gets back and they have him put the blue outfit on over his clothes. We wait in the room for a bit then at about 10:15ish the nurse comes and gets me to bring to the OR to get my spinal. My husband would be called in after.

Getting the spinal was awful. I had no idea what to expect as I never had an epidural. It felt odd and it hurt. At this point I started crying again. I started feeling a certain tingling over some part of my body which I guess I wasn't suppose to since the anesthesiologist had to adjust something. It probably took about 10 mins just to get the spinal done. The dr was in the room during the last half of this as he was ready to go but I wasn't. Finally I was laid down and the tarp was pulled up. At this point I couldn't feel my legs and I started to panic. Within minutes I had this odd weird tingling sensation in my chest and I started thinking I'm not going to be able to breathe. At this point I lost it. I started crying hysterically. My husband was finally brought in and the dr began.

Throughout the entire procedure I was crying and crying. I couldn't breathe right b/c at that point my nose was stuffed up but I didn't want to blow it. It got to a point I was so hysterical i was started having an anxiety attack. I was put on oxygen and the nurse gave me something in my IV to calm me down which ended up making me extremely nauseous. Then she gave me anti nausea medicine. Finally we hear the dr say ok here comes the baby. Well we waited and waited and I didn't hear him nor did I get to see him. I just realized that all of a sudden the dr started issuing orders and his body was scooting up closer to my arm. It felt like an eternity but finally the baby was out. We didn't hear him cry for quite a bit. I was so drugged up but I knew something wasn't right. Finally we hear him start crying and I felt so much better.

I honestly cannot remember how I got from the OR back to my room. I was heavily drugged and out of it. We did find out that somehow when the dr went to take him out his head got stuck and the cord was wrapped around his neck. As the dr told me earlier him being breech was a blessing a disguise. I am happy that I took the dr's advise and didn't wait and opted for the c section. If I had waited and with the cord around his neck I may not of had a son today.

Joshua was born on August 4 @ 10:57pm. He was about 2.5 wks early from his due date.
He weighed 5lbs .8 oz and was 17" long

It was not the birth I had wanted. By far this was the most traumatizing delivery of all my children. I have to admit I was ticked at the dr for not scheduling more growth u/s as the IUGR may have been caught earlier and maybe something could've been done. I am happy though that it was my dr that performed the c section and knew me and my history.

Overall I am thankful that the end result was a healthy baby boy.

Thanks for letting me share Joshua's birth story.
Reply With Quote
August 25th, 2011, 07:22 PM
Posts: n/a
Thanks for sharing! You did great even with the birth not going how you planned. Joshua is one lucky little boy!
Reply With Quote
August 26th, 2011, 10:25 AM
~Angela~'s Avatar Mommy to 3
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 5,518
What a story. I'm sorry you had such a rough time, but SO GLAD your little boy is doing well! Congratulations!
Reply With Quote
August 27th, 2011, 03:14 PM
wingqueen26's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Northeastern Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,450
what a cutie. i also had an unexpected a c section. i can relate.

thank u quantum leap for my siggy

Reply With Quote
January 16th, 2012, 11:52 PM
justjaQ's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Sterling Heights, MI
Posts: 19,640
congratulations, he's a doll! thanks for sharing your story!
msjaQ- 28, pantheist AP detroit mama to:
timothy michael, august 31, 2003, 12:02pm, 8 lb. 4 oz., 21"- 38 wks.
melissa may, april 7, 2006, 1:31pm, 7 lb. 10.5 oz., 19.5"- 36.5 wks
nicholas michael, january 31, 2010, 5:12pm, 5 lb. 11 oz., 18.25"- 37.1 wks
damon michael, january 21, 2012, 1:31am, 6 lb. 14 oz., 20", 38 wks
rainbow baby left me at 6-1/2 weeks on 09.08.12~ never forgotten, sweet child

Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:29 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0