Log In Sign Up

Savannah Lynn's Arrival

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 9th, 2011, 01:32 PM
teacher.123's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Illinois, USA
Posts: 3,194
I went in for my induction on August 22nd. I was 41 weeks and 1 day. I was also 3cm dilated, 50% effaced, and -2 station.

They stated my pitocin at 11:10 am and increased it every 15-20 minutes. At 3:20 pm they checked me and I was 5cm and 60% effaced. I had been having contractions all day, but at this point is where they started to become uncomfortable. I wasn't ready for the epidural quite yet.

at 7:30pm they broke my bag of water and the fluid was clear. At the same time she tried to place an internal monitor, but she couldn't get it in. OMG I was in so much pain. When she took her hand out I felt a huge gush of warm fluid release. I hated that feeling. Every time more would leak out I felt like I was peeing the bed. My contractions started to really get painful and the nurse knew I was almost ready for my epidural. She came in shortly after and said there is talk about a possible emergency c-section and if that happens, it would be a while before I could get my epidural. So, I decided to get it right away at 8:15pm. GOOD THING! As he was preparing to do the epidural, he got paged for that c-section!

at 10:10 pm I progressed only to 6cm, 70% effaced, -1 station. They got the internal monitor in at 11:00pm and increased my pitocin every 20 minutes again.

at 1:00am I was 6cm, 80% effaced, -1 station. At this point I didn't make much progress. They told me that after the water is broken, I should dilated about 1 cm every hour. I was stuck at 6cm. The resident said my doctor was on her way in and she would check me.

She came and checked me, she agreed with residents cervical check as well. She told me that it was time to do a c-section. The chances for infection were increasing and I was also GBS+. At that point I couldn't even get far enough along to try to push.

The c-section was OK. I didn't feel a thing! Not even any tugging or pressure. They wanted me to get up on my elbows and help slide myself onto the operating table, but my elbows even felt numb. The doctor used a needle to test how numb I was and after surgery I realized I had dots of blood all the way up my belly from the test. He even asked the nurses to take off my leg weights so I can try to lift them. The nurses thought he was crazy. I heard them say, "Are you serious!" LOL....I was very numb. I was effected badly from the medicine. First of all I threw up on the table. The nurse held my head to the side and the bowl tight to my cheek. I remember hearing Savannah cry and I smiled and Adam showed me a few pictures, but otherwise I couldn't even think about my baby. I was shaking so bad. My teeth were clattering so bad, I though for sure I was going to crack a few!

Adam got sick in the room and almost fainted. He watched them make the first incision and when they told him he would stand up for a picture it was a bloody mess. It was when they just finished pulling Savannah out of me and were suctioning her air way clear. In the picture you can see her right by my incision with the umbilical cord clamped and cut. Then you see the other half of the cord with the clamp hanging out of me! I think it is a totally cool picture, but imagine seeing your wife like that in real life! When they told him to walk around to the warmer for pictures Adam started over and then told the medical team he needed to sit down. At least he knew what was happening and didn't pass out. Someone went to get him some cranberry juice and someone else took the camera and got us a bunch of nice pictures.

By the time I got into recovery, my shakes went away. Savannah latched onto my left side right away and nursed almost the entire time in recovery. She gave me a very sore and cracked nipple just from that. Currently, I'm 17 days PP and I'm not producing enough milk for her. I've talked with a lactation consultant and many nurses. Savannah's doctor put me on Reglan to help my supply and still nothing. Yesterday we decided I will try and nurse every other time, because I was having to supplement after every time we nursed. Due to having to supplement (she lost weight), I feel she is having nipple confusion. Sometimes she doesn't nurse as well anymore. She latches, but I don't feel is is actually swallowing. Then I have to go pump. I might end up pumping only, not sure. I do know I want her to get the breast milk for a little while longer, even if it is only an ounce every 4-5 hours. Some is better than none I guess. After supplementing, she gained 4 oz in 2.5 days. The doctor was happy about that.

Overall, I had a good birth experience. Savannah is healthy and that is all that matters. We stayed in the hospital for 4 days. I have lost 24 lbs and have 8 more to lose to reach my pre-pregnancy weight. Hopefully I can feel up to taking some walks that are longer than just once around the block!

Thanks for reading!
Born Aug 23rd at 2:36 am. 8lbs 8oz 20.5 inches long.

Right after surgery and in recovery.

Day 2

Last edited by teacher.123; September 9th, 2011 at 01:38 PM.
Reply With Quote
September 9th, 2011, 05:56 PM
inlove08's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 4,304
Aww congrats mommy!! Ya having a c section unexpect one that that is not very fun. )

Thank you Vicki.... for my beautiful siggie!!!
Reply With Quote
September 9th, 2011, 06:52 PM
mico's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Posts: 2,347
I'm sorry that you had to go through a C-Section, but you are right, Savannah is healthy, and that is the most important thing! I can't wait to watch her grow up through pictures!

Thank you brie_91 for my Siggy!
Reply With Quote
January 16th, 2012, 05:58 PM
justjaQ's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Sterling Heights, MI
Posts: 19,640
congratulations! she is beautiful.
msjaQ- 28, pantheist AP detroit mama to:
timothy michael, august 31, 2003, 12:02pm, 8 lb. 4 oz., 21"- 38 wks.
melissa may, april 7, 2006, 1:31pm, 7 lb. 10.5 oz., 19.5"- 36.5 wks
nicholas michael, january 31, 2010, 5:12pm, 5 lb. 11 oz., 18.25"- 37.1 wks
damon michael, january 21, 2012, 1:31am, 6 lb. 14 oz., 20", 38 wks
rainbow baby left me at 6-1/2 weeks on 09.08.12~ never forgotten, sweet child

Reply With Quote

birth story

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:21 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0