Log In Sign Up

Peyton's Birth Story

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 30th, 2011, 07:00 PM
Babymakes8's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,249
We were scheduled for a c-section on September 19, 2011.

On Sunday, September 18, a good friend of ours came down to spend the night and take care of our 5 older children on Monday morning - getting the oldest 4 off to school and entertaining our 3 yr old.

We were up at 4 am on the 19th. I had packed mine and baby's bag several weeks before, and we had loaded them in the car the night before. Car seat was already installed, too.

We left by 4:30 am because we had to be at the hospital by 5:30 am. We arrived, and went up to the third floor. They said I was the only one scheduled to come in at 5:30 am, so they knew who I was, but surprised to see me because we were supposed to check in through the ER. Ooops. They said no problem, they'd notify the ER that we were there.

So then they start to get me prepped. First they hooked me up to monitors to watch for contractions and baby's heart rate. She was NOT cooperating, but they eventually found a good spot to pick up a loud reading.

Then a lab tech came in to get blood. My doc uses a plasma wash on incisions after a c-section, so they needed to draw 30 cc's of blood. Usually when I need to get blood drawn, I ask them to use the vein in my left arm because that's where they have the best success. I also ask them not to tell me when they are going to stick me, so I won't tense up because when I tense up, it hurts worse.

So they go to get my blood, and the girl who stuck me didn't get one drop. I was NOT happy that I would have to be stuck again. She blamed it on the butterfly needle, said it was defective. Then I got even more upset, because she had messed up my vein enough that my i.v. would have to go in my right arm, and I prefer that in my left, too (I'm stupid I guess). So they decided to put my i.v. line in, and draw the 30 cc's that way. They didn't get the full 30 cc's. GAH! They were worried they'd blow my i.v. out if they pulled anymore, so they had to stick me AGAIN to draw out another 10 cc's to finish the 30.

Then the lab tech tells me, "I really am good at my job."
I replied, "Your resume says otherwise. Poke me again, and you're fired." (I was tired and cranky, but trying to keep a good attitude, so it was said in a joking manner and everyone laughed.)

Then they had another nurse come in to shave me - and she caught my skin!! I told her she was fired, too, but I got a chill and started shivering violently so she brought me a warm blanket, and I laughed and said thank you, you've redeemed yourself and are now rehired!

Then our pastor came in to pray with us. By this time it is 7 am. Section was scheduled for 7:30 am. Pastor leaves, and my "team" come in to meet me. I meet my nurse, Peyton's nurse, my anesthesiologist, and her assistant. They are telling me everything that is going to happen, and talking me through my concerns and fears (even though this was a repeat c-sec I was still nervous.

They wheel me into the OR and get me up on the operating table - I hate that room. It seems so cold and uninviting.

Anyway, they get me prepped, and I had told the anesthesiologist the same as the lab tech, don't tell me when the poke is coming. She didn't, and I am serious when I say I didn't feel her do the spinal block at all! I was also taking slow, deep breaths, and drawing within myself while praying for God to keep me calm and relaxed through the spinal being administered.

Things went quick after that. My feet were starting to get numb right away, so they laid me down on the table and gave me anti-nausea meds in my i.v. and my doc came in and got me all prepped up. The nurse went out to get my Dh and then the blue drape went up.

My husband sat on my left side and tried talking with me, but all I was focused on was listening for my baby's first cries. About 15 minutes in, my anesthesiologist tells us they are about to pull the baby out. My husband had asked them NOT to invite him to stand up and see, because he didn't want to see me cut open again. Then we heard our daughter trying to cry, and they said they only had her head out - but she was working on screaming. We could hear her gargling on some fluid, but they said her crying - even tho she almost sounded like she was choking - was a good sign.

She was fully delivered at 8:05 am. They handed her off to the nurses and she screamed the whole way. I asked if it was a girl, and my Dr. said she was 100% a girl (my Dh said he wouldn't believe it until she was delivered lol). Then I asked if she had hair, and they said yes, a headfull of dark hair. My anesthesiologist pulled back a little bit of the curtain so I could see across the room - I could only see baby girl's head full of dark hair!

She continued to scream through her apgars and whatever else they were doing. I remember saying, "boy she is mad" and my doctor said, "Of course she is mad! We just evicted her!" lol

Then they brought Peyton over to her daddy and he got to hold her right next to me for 20 minutes while they were closing me up. She hadn't stopped crying until they handed her to daddy.

Then they said it was time to take her to the nursery and my husband went with her. I had a moment of panic, and started to feel nauseated. They gave me more anti-nausea drugs in my i.v. and my anesthesiologist told me I needed to relax and not panic - because my bp was starting to go up and so was my heart rate. I did the slow deep breaths again, and told myself that they were almost done.

Then they were done - and by 8:45 they were rolling me into recovery. They said it would be about an hour, and then they'd bring baby girl in for me to hold her. Not even 10 minutes later, Peyton's nurse comes running in the room and asks my nurse if she can bring her to me. She said they couldn't even bathe her, because she was not calming down and seemed to be ravenous.

So I got my baby almost immediately after getting into recovery! She latched on right away and had a good latch! She was with me for almost an hour, nursed on both sides, and then they took her to get cleaned up. As soon as her bath was done, they brought her right back to me.

She weighed 7lbs 3.3 ozs, 18 inches long. Dark blue/grey eyes, and a head of dark brown hair (but it's a little lighter now).

Reply With Quote
October 4th, 2011, 01:31 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: El Paso, TX
Posts: 1,153
Congratulations! Glad everything went well.
Reply With Quote
October 5th, 2011, 11:26 PM
Leogirl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 3,163
Congrats! I'm glad you had such a great experiance!

Reply With Quote
October 6th, 2011, 04:57 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: NB, Canada
Posts: 5,592
Yay! Glad it all went so well.

Thanks to Mom2*Lauryn*Jacob* for this beautiful sig!

Reply With Quote
January 12th, 2012, 07:35 PM
justjaQ's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Sterling Heights, MI
Posts: 19,640
congratulations on your new little girl.
msjaQ- 28, pantheist AP detroit mama to:
timothy michael, august 31, 2003, 12:02pm, 8 lb. 4 oz., 21"- 38 wks.
melissa may, april 7, 2006, 1:31pm, 7 lb. 10.5 oz., 19.5"- 36.5 wks
nicholas michael, january 31, 2010, 5:12pm, 5 lb. 11 oz., 18.25"- 37.1 wks
damon michael, january 21, 2012, 1:31am, 6 lb. 14 oz., 20", 38 wks
rainbow baby left me at 6-1/2 weeks on 09.08.12~ never forgotten, sweet child

Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:08 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0