Log In Sign Up

World's Longest Induction (and an equally long birth story!)

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 8th, 2011, 02:01 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Northern KY
Posts: 10,208
Warning, this is going to be LONG. Enjoy!

Final NST (11/28)
Duncan passed the NST with flying colors, as usual. My fluid check was less than stellar and the US tech asked me how I would feel about being induced that day as opposed to Thursday. I told her that I had made it this far and I did not want to be induced any sooner than the 1st. She talked to the peri and he was fine with that, especially since I was already on bed rest.

Final OB appontment (11/30)
I went in to have the doctor check my cervix. I had been at barely 1cm for 2 weeks and was really hoping that I had made some sort of progress. My BP was amazing and the doc joked that maybe the induction would not be needed. I told him I was fine with that, and he just laughed. Told me that he forgot I am the only patient who fights an induction, even at 39 weeks. He checked me and I was still 1cm. They scheduled me to be admitted that night for cervical ripening.

Pre-Game (11/30)
Dh and I took Stella to my parent's house and headed to the hospital at 7pm. I got all weepy as we were leaving Stella since it was the last time that we would be seeing her as an only child.

We arrive that the hospital and were shown my room. We got super lucky and had one of the huge rooms, nearly 2x the size of most of the rooms on the unit. My admitting nurse was awesome. I told her about my concerns with the IV and she suggested that we have IV therapy put my IV in. I was thrilled that she understood my concerns. She got me all hooked up to the monitors and IV therapy got my IV placed (first try and not in my hand!) The nurse told me that I would probably be getting cytotech since that is what the group that I see usually uses. She then got a call that another patient of hers water had broke and went to check on her. That was the last I saw of that nurse! Another nurse came in, with a student to place the cervadil. Turns out the docs changed their minds. Having that placed was super uncomfortable. I had several different nurses throught the night as everyone I got ended up having another patient deliver and had to attend to them. After that everything was set for the night, I went to sleep and DH went to work.

The Main Event (or so we thought!) 12/1
Woke up after getting a decent night's sleep. It amazes me how uncomfortable L&D beds are considering how much time you spend in them. They removed the cervadil and checked me. I was still a solid 1cm but very stretchy. I was feeling very discouraged at this point. At about 9:30 they started me on the pitocin. The doctor came in and talked to me a while later and told me that the plan was to increase my pit every 30 min until I was maxed out. I was contracting every 5 minutes, but nothing that I was feeling.

As the day went on I started to feel the contractions, but nothing substantial. Just enough to be irritating. I moved from the bed to the chair and back about a million times since both were equal in their extreme amount of uncomfortable. I was starving, bored and uncomfortable. Not a good combination. Again I had several nurses through the day. I did not mind since I was not doing much of anything anyway. After nearly 8 hours after last being checked I asked when they were planning on checking me again. The night shift nurse came in, checked me and gave me the super awesome news that I was still at 1cm. The nurse tried really hard to be reassuring, telling me that my cervix was super stretchy and more dialated towards the outside, but funneling to 1cm closer to the baby. She left to let the doctor know what the situation was. She came back about 8 and told me that she just needed a good tracing on the baby (he had fallen off the monitor) and then I could come off the pit and eat and walk around. That was the best news I have ever heard!

I ate dinner, walked around the unit for a while and then took an ambien and went to bed.

The Main Even (for reals!) 12/2
I slept like a champ and woke up to being 3cm! Finally some stinking progress! They restarted the pit about 9ish. The doctor who was on was the same doc that wanted to induce me at 37 weeks for pre-e, but I refused. She walked in and said "You were right, you were not ready to be induced!" She gave me the option of breaking my water when they started my pit, or waiting a bit to see what kind of progress I made. I opted for the latter because I knew I was slow going and once my water was broke I was on the clock as to how long they would let me labor. They put me in a horrible, uncomfortable position in order to keep the monitor on the baby and told me they would be back around 11ish to break my water.

At 10:30 they came in to break my water. I was terrified as I had my water break naturally with Stella. The doc checked and I was still at 3cm. The doc head to nearly reach my tonsils to break my water. Duncan was still up wicked high and she had a hard time getting to my water. It hurt so freaking bad. Not the actual breaking of the water, but the process of getting to where she needed to be. She was only able to get a pin prick in the sac and there was almost no fluid that came out. She placed an internal monitor on Duncan and it was back to waiting. Thank goodness for the internal monitor. They were having to move the external one constantly since Duncan would not keep still.

Once my water was broke the contractions started getting ugly. I was contracting every 3-5 minutes with my contractions lasting 2-3 minutes. If I was sitting completely upright I was more comfortable, but I was having to breathe through them and really concentrate on managing the pain. About 1:15 I had had enough and told my nurse that I was ready for the epi.

I was nervous about the epi since my last one had hurt pretty bad when they put it in. This time was awesome. I felt nothing but the prick of the lidocaine. The nurse from anesthesia was great. After about 15-20 minutes I was feeling no pain at all.

Things get kind of blurry for a while after this. I think it is because there was a lot of time doing nothing at all. My nurse, Tabitha was kick ***. She checked me at some point during the afternoon and I had made it to 6cm. I was having some increased pain on the left side of my pelvis. It was getting progressively worse as time went on. My nurse noticed that I was having to breathe through the contractions and called anesthesia to give me a bit more medicine. The anesthesia nurse explained that it was what they call a hot spot and they may have to dose me again. After that was all done I called my friend who was in town to take pictures of the birth and told her that she could head to the hospital if she was ready. The nurse told me that I should call her when I was 6-7cm as I would probably go pretty fast from there to 10.

My friend arrived about 6:30 and messed with her camera to get the settings right with the lighting. It was great having someone else to talk to aside from DH! My nurse had me get in the Queen of Sheeba postion, with my bed really high and my legs really low in the hopes that gravity would help bring the baby down. She checked me at about 7:15 and I was at 9 and 100% effaced. I was super pumped, my nurse was kind of bummed! She wanted to deliver my baby so bad since we got along so well and she got off at 7:30. She told me that had she not promised her kids that they would go to a movie she would stay. She told me that she would see me on Sunday and she would be sure to be my nurse.

My night nurse, Lori, was equally as awesome, but kind of quiet. She kept me moving from postion to position to try and get the baby to come down lower. We had to get another bolus of the epi medicine during that phase. The anesthesia guy told me that I could have the epi redone, or keep getting doses of medicine as needed. I was so far and did not want to epi redone, but I also did not want pain. I opted for redosing if needed. Lori checked me about 10pm and I was complete, but Duncan was still really high. I started pushing about 10:15pm. I farted on the first push and had to stop because I was giggling. I have the sense of humor of a 12 year old boy. A couple of pushes in I was in intense pain on my left side. Another bolus. While I was getting the bolus my nurse called the doc to let her know where I was. The doc was in the room next door delivering a baby. Once I was good and numb again I gave a few more pushes and we were ready for the doc.

The doctor walked in an said "Do not look at my pants!" I was on my back and did not see, but apparently she was pretty blood covered. She watched me push once and said "Ok, we are ready. Let me go change my pants and we will have this baby." Again, I went into a fit of giggles.

When the doc was all gowned and gloved I pushed about 3 rounds. Things then got really tense. The doc called someone and all of the sudden there were 4 or so new people in the room. One of the new nurses told my friend that she was not allowed to photograph the birth. I was pissed as no one had mentioned a thing about that to us earlier and she had been taking pictures of everything delivery involved up to that point. (She put the camera on silent and kept taking pictures! I love her!) One of the new nurses literally pushed DH out of the way and took my leg. The doc told me to push, then immediately to stop. She called for scissors. She told me that the baby would be "stunned" when he came out and would not be coming directly to me when he was out. She did something (turns out it was my awesome episiotomy) and looked me dead in the eye and said "You will get him out on this next push, ok?" The next push was insane and long and painful and then he was out, along with most of my fluid which must have been behind him! This all took maybe 30 seconds. The doctor had to rub him for a while before he started to cry. He was purple as could be. Finally I heard him cry and was so relieved!

As I was laying there getting stitched up I could hear all of the nurses ohhing and ahhing over how cute he was. They asked me what his name was and I told them I did not know yet since I had yet to see him. My friend brought over her camera and showed my a pic she had just taken of him. I saw a freaking picture of my kid before I got to see him! Once I was all stitched up and they were sure that all was well with Duncan I finally got to see him. It probably took a total of 5 minutes, but I was anxious! I told Dh he looked like a Duncan to me and he agreed.

Once everything was calmed and I was holding my little man I learned that Duncan had the cord around his neck tight when he came out and his shoulder got stuck. That was the reason things got so tense and the reason that I was cut the way I was. Down and then to the side. The doc had to cut the cord, so DH did not get to, but with good reason. I also learned that as soon as Duncan came out he pooped all over the floor and then when he was under the heater he peed on one of the nurses! (The one that DH did not like!)

So there it is. LONG!!! Thank goodness they let me have that break on Thursday night, or I am sure I would have ended up with a section. I feel like I am missing a lot, but I don't think that I am. Eh, I will reread this later and see what I missed!

Reply With Quote
December 8th, 2011, 03:19 PM
ratladee's Avatar Madison Marie, My Sweet P
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Fort Leavenworth, KS
Posts: 3,387
That sure sounded like a marathon!!! You did great though, congrats!

Reply With Quote
December 8th, 2011, 03:19 PM
kristen121's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 4,513
What a story. Thanks for sharing and congrats on your new little man.
Mommy to two sweet girls: Emma Marie (December 9, 2008) and Hadley Annabelle (November 29, 2011)

Reply With Quote
December 8th, 2011, 03:41 PM
I love my family!!!
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 743
What a story!! Thank goodness all is well now!! Great job mama!
Reply With Quote
December 8th, 2011, 05:28 PM
sugarloafbaby's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Ohio
Posts: 3,101
wow, such a long induction! glad you and duncan are doing well!
Mommy to 2 girls , 6/26/10 & 12/31/11

Reply With Quote
December 10th, 2011, 05:56 PM
Snookums's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 3,918
Great birth story! Sorry it was so long for you but I am glad you got that break and that you were able to progress through it and avoid a section! (and I'm lol @ Duncan peeing on the nurse your DH didn't like )

Reply With Quote
December 13th, 2011, 04:48 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 3,754
I loved reading your birth story!! The end of your induction was really similar to mine I feel like. I kept having to get "bolused" and Leila had the cord compressed against her neck so DF didn't get to cut the cord :/ Glad Duncan was healthy and it sounds like you had a wonderful staff during the whole LONG event!
Reply With Quote
January 11th, 2012, 12:49 AM
justjaQ's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Sterling Heights, MI
Posts: 19,640
congratulations! he's adorable!
msjaQ- 28, pantheist AP detroit mama to:
timothy michael, august 31, 2003, 12:02pm, 8 lb. 4 oz., 21"- 38 wks.
melissa may, april 7, 2006, 1:31pm, 7 lb. 10.5 oz., 19.5"- 36.5 wks
nicholas michael, january 31, 2010, 5:12pm, 5 lb. 11 oz., 18.25"- 37.1 wks
damon michael, january 21, 2012, 1:31am, 6 lb. 14 oz., 20", 38 wks
rainbow baby left me at 6-1/2 weeks on 09.08.12~ never forgotten, sweet child

Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:19 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0