Log In Sign Up

Anna Rose's Arrival

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 12th, 2011, 06:30 AM
Super Mommy
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 510
I worked a full day of work on Tuesday, December 6th, teaching five classes in a row. I had mentioned to a coworker earlier that morning that I felt a bit crampy and had some brownish tinged mucous. She was very excited and said she went into labor that night with her first after those signs. I laughed and left to go to an appointment with my midwife, figuring we were just getting one step closer.

My appointment with my midwife went well - she commented that there was definitely bloody show, I was 3-4 cm dilated already, 90% effaced, she could feel the baby's head and the sack of waters. She wouldn't put a date/time on it, but she felt confident this baby would be making an arrival sooner rather than later. She tried to schedule me an appointment for Friday, just in case, but they were full. No worries - I had one already scheduled for the following Tuesday just in case.

My husband came home around six and I told him all about my adventure and suggested we might have a baby in the next two days. He was excited and headed off to help make dinner. I headed to the bathroom, only to find quite a bit of blood. Now, I figured this was from my internal, but since its on the list of things to call your midwife about at 39 weeks, I did. I spoke with the midwife on call, who agreed that it probably was from the internal. She asked how else I was feeling. I mentioned being crampy and she suggested I time those and if they reached the magic 511, call her back. I sort of laughed and said all right. Surprise - those pesky little cramps were 4-5 minutes apart and 30 seconds in length. Huh. How about that - guess it was the start of labor!

By 11 pm that night, I was at that magic 511 and in a fair amount of pain. I had reached that point where I couldn't talk through the contraction, though I could keep walking. I had tried a hot bath to relax, laid down, stood up, breathed - all those things. After two more calls and discussion with the midwife, we decided to head into the hospital. I very quickly called in for my substitute to start the next day and posted grades - hey, gotta cover all bases! My husband was just sighing as I finished up these tasks. We had no issues getting there and arrived on a very quiet Labor and Delivery floor - seriously, there was no one else around! A couple was just being discharged to go home and rest as we were being brought in. My midwife did a quick internal and said I was still where I had been that afternoon. She wanted me to stay for 2 hours (which would be around 2 am) and if there were no changes, to go home and rest - planning on us coming back the next day at some time. The nurse leaned in and told me to definitely walk if I wanted to stay!

Well, we walked and walked. After about an hour of walking, I was at the point where I had to stop for each contraction because they were bothering me so much. As we finished a lap, the midwife on call suggested that we do the check now, at 1:30 am - I think she saw my face. I was so convinced we were going to be sent home. All I could think about was what the heck I'd do at home! Lol. I changed and laid down so they could do the internal. Just as the midwife was getting ready to check me, my water broke. Her and the nurse both blinked a few times and tested the fluid - sure enough, we were making progress. My husband's comment was, "This means we stay!" A quick check revealed I was now dilated to 5 cm and fully effaced. Anna was definitely planning an arrival!

The midwife asked if I was planning on an epidural. Let me tell you, all of you ladies that do natural birth, I give you so much credit! There was no way I was going to make it till morning with the pain I was in - I absolutely wanted that epidural at that point. Lol. The anesthesiologist arrived shortly after as they were finishing getting me settled. The whole procedure was quick and painless - she was wonderful! She explained everything she was doing each step of the way and pretty soon I was settled in for the night - well, if you can call 2:30 am in the morning nighttime still! My husband and I dozed on and off until about 6:30 am. Good news - fully effaced, fully dilated, fully ready to go! The midwife on call decided they'd let me labor down a bit since my contractions were still 4-5 minutes apart - plus, my actual midwife came on duty at 8 and she figured I'd want her to deliver! Sounded like a plan - back to dozing.

Around 8 am the new nurse came in to introduce herself - she was very excited to be helping us deliver as her son was turning 7 that day. How fitting to bring a new baby into the world on a day so special to her! My midwife came in with a big smile a short time later, laughing at how she had hoped she'd find me there after our visit yesterday afternoon! They checked my contracts and decided around 9 am to give me some pitocin since they still weren't getting closer and they were afraid I'd exhaust myself with the contractions so far apart. I still didn't have a huge urge to push either. At about 9:45 am, I was feeling ready to push. So, we got started.

I pushed and pushed and pushed... At about 11:30 I told my midwife I was NOT convinced this child was really moving at all. She told me to keep going, she was making progress but had turned herself a bit so we were still working on getting her head under my pubic bone and that's what was taking so long. By noon, I was getting quite cranky. I really wasn't convinced that she was ever going to arrive. At that point, they brought in the mirror so I could see that she was actually descending - that helped a lot. My husband through the whole thing was great - coaching me and telling me she'd be here soon, just to keep pushing. By 12:30, we could clearly see her head. And then, on the second to last contraction, I pushed enough that she crowned - and the danged contraction stopped before I could push more. I literally sat there for about 4 minutes, with the baby partway out before I could push again. My midwife just kept saying, "Breath, breath... She'll be here in a few. It's coming, I promise. You are going to push with everything you have next contraction and we'll have a baby, okay?" Finally, the next contraction started. One push brought out her head, the next her shoulders and on the third my midwife told me to reach down and she handed her to me to pull up on top of my chest. (How cool that was!) Anna Rose entered the world yelling at 12:40 pm after about three hours of pushing. Her very proud daddy cut the cord and watched as they cleaned her (and me!) up. Then we got some great family time together.

Overall, it was a great experience. I'd love to do a little less pushing if we have another, but she was worth every minute of it.
Reply With Quote
December 12th, 2011, 07:23 AM
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Roswell, GA
Posts: 310
great birth story. Im happy our went well for you.

In the mood for some romance? Hot, sexy romance, check out my debut novel Claimed By Desire available from amazon, barnes and nobel and the itunes ibookstore.
Reply With Quote
December 12th, 2011, 09:29 AM
I love my family!!!
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 743
Great job mama!!
Reply With Quote
December 12th, 2011, 09:53 AM
kristen121's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 4,513
Glad all went well. Congrats.
Mommy to two sweet girls: Emma Marie (December 9, 2008) and Hadley Annabelle (November 29, 2011)

Reply With Quote
December 12th, 2011, 02:00 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,271
Great story. Glad went well for u
Reply With Quote
December 13th, 2011, 06:57 PM
Snookums's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 3,918
That's great! Loved reading your birth story

Reply With Quote
December 14th, 2011, 08:54 PM
justjaQ's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Sterling Heights, MI
Posts: 19,640
msjaQ- 28, pantheist AP detroit mama to:
timothy michael, august 31, 2003, 12:02pm, 8 lb. 4 oz., 21"- 38 wks.
melissa may, april 7, 2006, 1:31pm, 7 lb. 10.5 oz., 19.5"- 36.5 wks
nicholas michael, january 31, 2010, 5:12pm, 5 lb. 11 oz., 18.25"- 37.1 wks
damon michael, january 21, 2012, 1:31am, 6 lb. 14 oz., 20", 38 wks
rainbow baby left me at 6-1/2 weeks on 09.08.12~ never forgotten, sweet child

Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:25 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0