Log In Sign Up

Fiona's birthstory - long with pictures - may be a little TMI

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 12th, 2011, 01:27 PM
babyB No.1's Avatar Super Mommy
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 516
We got to the hospital at 6pm on 12/1/2011, registered and went up to the 3rd floor which is the maternity floor. We were shown to our room (room 3218) which happened to be the same room we were shown during the birthing class. I was happy about that since I had secretly hoped to get that room.
I got changed into the hospital gowns and the nurse hooked me up to the monitors for another non-stress test. The machine I was hooked up too kept stopping due to paper jams but since every machine was is use, we had to make due and just keep re-starting it. Three babies had been born that day which is a lot for our hospital. My doctor popped his head in to let us know he was there but needed to deliver another baby via c-section before tending to us. To use his words, he didn't want to start something he couldn't finish. Due to the machine constantly getting stuck, we didn't finish the NST until 7:45pm but everything looked perfect and baby was doing well.

At 8:30pm our friend Beth came to the hospital. Aside from my husband, she was the only one I really wanted there – for many reasons. I wasn't sure how my hubby would handle the birth of our daughter, I wasn't even sure if he would be able to stay in the room or if he would have to step outside. He was not sure himself and also kept telling me he would not cut the cord. Cutting the cord was something I did not want the hospital staff or doctor to due. It was going to be done by either my hubby or myself. I knew this was a ones in a lifetime event so I really wanted the birth documented. Being unsure about how my hubby was going to handle the birth, I really did not want to rely on him to take pictures on top of it all. When Beth offered to take pictures for us, I took her up on it right away.

By 10pm the doc came back and inserted cervidil to rippen my cervix since my body was still not showing any signs of labor. The cervidil almost immediately started contractions for me. Since I was now having contractions, the nurse started my IV just in case at 10:15pm but did not yet start any fluids.
To make the contractions easier to take and help move things along, hubby, Beth and I started walking in circles around the maternity ward. Regardless how much we walked or squatted, things did not progress. Each time I was checked, the answer was always the same. "You are at 2 cm."
After 7 hours of contractions and little to no progress, the nurse decided to remove the cervidil at 5am and instead suggested to try and labor in the wirlpool tub. This sounded like an awesome idea to me and off we went. At 7 am I decided to get out of the tub for a while and the nurse again checked for progress. To my surprise, I had made no progress at all. It was starting to seem like an impossible task. How was I supposed to give birth when my body was not willing?
My doctor had gone home for the since since he had worked all day at the office before spending half the night at the hospital with us. When he returned in the morning, he explained to us his thoughts and a suggested go forward plan. Basically he thought that since I was doing this without pain medication, my body was too tense to allow for progress and he really thought I needed to relax. He suggested Nubane which I was given by 10 am. With this, I was able to rest some and even dosed off for a bit. Unfortunately, I was now so relaxed that the contractions had stopped and I still had not made any progress.
At 1:45pm the doc decided we needed to start things back up and I was started on pitocin which was increased every 15 minutes until my contractions were 2 minutes apart. The contractions were very VERY painful and the nurse assured me it would get worse.
Even with all this pain and contractions every 2 minutes, by 3pm, I had only progressed to 3cm. While checking me, the nurse broke my water. This made me angry because I could feel her doing it and felt cheated since I never consented. I wasn't told or warned that she would be breaking my water. She just did it and acted as though it just "happened". According to my hubby, I very much so verbalized my dislike. When she had told me it would get worse, well she wasn't kidding. It seemed like the contractions went from a 3 to a 10 on a 1-10 pain scale.
However, breaking my water seemed to get things going. By 3:30pm I was 5 cm and so I was finally able to get the epidural. I didn't really want one but I wanted to allow my body to progress and the last 17.5 hours indicated that I needed help.
The anesthesiologist came by 4 pm but we were not ready for him. So by the time I actually had the epi, it was 4:50pm. The nurse told me to lay back so she could check me and said I was 8 cm. And suddenly all this commotion started in the room. (I found out later that the nurse had lied and I really was 10 but she didn't want me to start pushing yet). All I remember was this feeling of intense pressure and it felt like my body was pushing even if I was not trying to.
My doctor was at the office taking care of patients so the midwife I had been seeing for regular check ups came to the hospital since she was finished with her patients. Throughout my entire pregnancy I had hoped for my doctor to deliver our baby girl but to be honest, at this point I no longer cared. This baby needed to be born and frankly I would have done it with a complete stranger.
As soon as the midwife arrived, I started pushing. Daddy was holding my left leg and I saw him peek down there when Fiona's head was coming out. He confirmed she had hair =). They kept telling me I was doing great pushing. By the third contractions, I was able to feel her head come out with my hand. Once her shoulders had passed, the midwife had me grab under Fiona's arms and pull her out onto my belly. Essentially I got to deliver my baby girl! Fiona cried right away. Her daddy did cut the cord and I must say he was awesome throughout the entire birth. He sure surprised me. I am actually glad that the midwife delivered Fiona - she was super supportive and positive.
Fiona was born on Friday 12-2-2011 at 5:05pm after a 19 hour long labor. She was a little peanut weighing only 5 lbs 12 oz and measuring 18 inches long.

My placenta was delivered inn pieces (not good). A couple of pieces were missing and the midwife kept trying to remove them but hand but was not successful. I had torn a little so needed a few stitches. This whole "clean-up process" seemed to take forever.
Thankfully I passed the missing pieces of the placenta a few hours afterwards when I was sneezing after having tried to go to the bathroom.

The side effects from the epi really hit me and I was itching all over the place but mostly in my face. The itching was going to be the least of my concerns though. For the next 40 hours, I would not be able to go to the bathroom on my own. Although I was drinking plenty, and could feel my bladder filling up to the point of real discomfort, I was not able to empty it. As a result, I was given a catheter 3 times to empty my bladder. The second of which was left in for a few hours and I had to walk around with a pee-bag. To try and allow me to go on my own, I was given pain medication every three hours. Finally after lots of trying (sitzbaths, peri-bottles, spending hours on the toilette concentrating, and plenty of crying) I was able to go.
We were released from the hospital on Sunday afternoon 12-4-2011. Fiona had lost some weight as expected but not too much. She was 5lbs 8 oz.
We gave Fiona her first sponge bath on Tuesday night 12-6-2011, which she did not enjoy that much but I am thinking this was partially due to my inexperience.

Our first doctor visit was on Wednesday 12-7-2011 which Fiona passed with flying colors. She didn't really cry at all during the visit, not when getting undressed by daddy or dressed by mommy or anytime in between. According to the nurse, Fiona had already grown 1 inch now measuring 19 inches and gained 6 oz, weighing in at 5lbs 14oz. The weight gain made me very happy since this meant that she was getting enough breast milk. Having gained her birth weight back plus some in only 3 days was just amazing. After watching me feed her, the nurse practitioner/lactation consultant told us we were doing great and she would not change a thing. After the doctor visit, Daddy, Mommy and Fiona stopped at Grandma and Grandpa house for the first visit.

On Friday 12-9-2011 we tried another sponge bath. This time Fiona managed to pee on my pants and her towel. Later that night her umbilical cord fell off during a diaper change.

Just born

23 hours old

6 days old first sort of smile =)

7 days old

9 days old

Last edited by babyB No.1; December 12th, 2011 at 01:32 PM.
Reply With Quote
December 13th, 2011, 08:49 AM
nartist's Avatar baby2
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: kelowna,B.C.
Posts: 683
Glad u are all healthy. Great story, she is beautiful!

Thanks KILIKI for my siggy!
Reply With Quote
January 6th, 2012, 09:03 PM
justjaQ's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Sterling Heights, MI
Posts: 19,640
aw, she's adorable- congratulations!
after my first two kids were born, i too was too swollen to pee. it hurt terribly. they gave me a catheter the first time, but refused to with my daughter. that was just awful, and i'm sorry you went through that too.
msjaQ- 28, pantheist AP detroit mama to:
timothy michael, august 31, 2003, 12:02pm, 8 lb. 4 oz., 21"- 38 wks.
melissa may, april 7, 2006, 1:31pm, 7 lb. 10.5 oz., 19.5"- 36.5 wks
nicholas michael, january 31, 2010, 5:12pm, 5 lb. 11 oz., 18.25"- 37.1 wks
damon michael, january 21, 2012, 1:31am, 6 lb. 14 oz., 20", 38 wks
rainbow baby left me at 6-1/2 weeks on 09.08.12~ never forgotten, sweet child

Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:21 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0