Log In Sign Up

Asher's Arrival - super long with pictures

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 15th, 2011, 04:46 PM
OurSweetLabs's Avatar I LOVE My Boys!!
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 11,014
My c section was a very different experience than my previous vaginal birth. When they did my spinal I felt like a lightning bolt went down my left leg. It felt like Tommy was away from me forever before they would let him back. Thankfully the c section went well.
Asher arrived into the world on December 2, 2011 at 1:14 pm. He weighed 7lbs 11oz and was 20 in. He came in with a wonderful cry. My first thoughts and words were that he looked just like David and he really did. I know most of the time you can’t recognize a newborn, but I would have known he was mine anywhere. Tommy held him beside me while they finished up on me. After trying so long and having all of the complications during pregnancy I was so thankful to be able to lay my hands and eyes on him. When we were taken out of the OR into our room to recover David was able to see him with my parents and sister in the hall way. During recovery my blood pressure shot up very high then dropped way low even for me. It took a little longer for it to stabilize than they liked, but thankfully it evened back out to normal after several hours. I had to have several doses of medication for nausea. After a few hours the nurses let my family in. David was in love with his little brother, but not a fan of all of my new accessories.
When my dressing was removed that night we found out that someone had ignored my alert about my adhesive allergy, and much to my dismay larger portions of skin around my incision were either covered in blisters or missing skin all together.
On Saturday the pediatrician noticed that one of Asher’s testicles was very swollen and called in a urologist. The urologist came to see him late that afternoon and told us we should follow up with him when Asher was ten days old.
On Sunday I was given Percocet for pain, the first dose made me feel funny, but by the time the second dose was in my system I was sick. My blood pressure again shot up, I couldn’t hold up my head and was seeing spots. The doctors started running all sorts of tests and blood work on me, a smart nurse realized that I was having an allergic reaction. When the medicine worked its way out of my system I started feeling better and my blood pressure went back to normal. I was then given Lortab which again I had an allergic reaction too. At that point I decided that Motrin was all I was willing to take.
On Monday before I was released the pediatrician came back to see Asher and told us there was a pediatric urologist that he wanted us to see and they would call us in 2 or 3 days to set up an appointment.
Tuesday morning at 8:00 we got a call from the pediatric urologist they wanted us to come straight in. My Dad came and picked up David and we headed to the Doctor. When we got there we were sent straight back. The doctor was great; she talked to us and asked what we had been told and how Asher had looked at birth and since. She talked us about things that could be wrong. She reviewed the ultrasound that had been done and wanted a new one by someone who specialized in pediatric ultrasounds so we were sent across town to the main hospital. We were told to go straight from their office to the hospital. We only waited about 15 minutes before being taken into the ultrasound. We were asked to wait for the radiologist to read the results. The phone then started ringing in the room and the tech came in and gave it to us. The Doctor was on the phone, she told us her partner would be coming down to meet with us about our options. Someone called us and asked the last time he had nursed (30 minutes before while in the waiting room) and I started to panic. Within 10 minutes her partner was there and telling us they wanted to take him immediately into surgery. We were put into gowns and hair nets and taken up to the operating room. We waited outside the doors and talked to more doctors and signed the papers. It was so hard handing him over. The surgery lasted a little over an hour. A wonderful nurse called us in the middle to let us know he was doing ok. Thankfully we were sent to a pediatric urologist who was able to make repairs right then rather than waiting for the situation to get worse.


Donna - Mom to David and Asher

Last edited by OurSweetLabs; December 15th, 2011 at 04:52 PM.
Reply With Quote
December 15th, 2011, 04:54 PM
kristen121's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 4,513
Wow, sounds like it was one thing after another. Hope everyone is doing well now.
Mommy to two sweet girls: Emma Marie (December 9, 2008) and Hadley Annabelle (November 29, 2011)

Reply With Quote
December 15th, 2011, 08:36 PM
I love my family!!!
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 743
Oh my goodness!! Glad all is well now for you guys!! Good job mama!!
Reply With Quote
December 15th, 2011, 09:01 PM
Hoping for baby #2
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 2,134
I would be terrified! Im glad you and him are both on the mend now. Welcome to the world Asher!

Reply With Quote
December 16th, 2011, 08:56 AM
KCMomma's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 4,821
Oh goodness Donna...that made me cry!! I'm so glad YOU are ok and Mr. Asher is now too, but how flippin scary!!! He's adorable and I'm so glad everything is good now.

Thank you Julka for my beautifully, perfect siggy!!

Reply With Quote
December 17th, 2011, 02:23 PM
Super Mommy
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 510
What a tough start for everyone - but I'm so glad to hear that it ended well!! It sounds like everyone was in place for what needed to happen - I'm sure it is a relief to all of you that everything ended well!
Reply With Quote
December 17th, 2011, 10:37 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,271
Glad to hear everyone is doing better! Hes a cutie!
Reply With Quote
December 18th, 2011, 08:49 AM
Aidan~N~Haileys Mama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 8,780
Wow what a rough start! Glad you are ok and Asher is doing well!! Congrats hun!! He's precious!

Reply With Quote
December 22nd, 2011, 12:27 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 3,754
Oh gosh. That sounds like a stressful first couple of few days. I am so glad you are doing well now though. I hope you both have a smooth recovery!
Reply With Quote
December 23rd, 2011, 05:33 PM
Posts: n/a
Aww Donna!. I am glad that everything is ok now. Thank you for sharing.
Reply With Quote
December 28th, 2011, 01:33 PM
stucklikeglue's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: sunny state
Posts: 2,424
he is soooo cute!

Reply With Quote
January 1st, 2012, 08:30 PM
brwneygirl's Avatar MommyX3
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Illinois
Posts: 746
Thanks for sharing your story. Some scary stuff, but glad everything is ok now. What a cutie!!!

Reply With Quote
January 1st, 2012, 10:55 PM
justjaQ's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Sterling Heights, MI
Posts: 19,640
congrats on your new little boy. he's beautiful.
my youngest son had to have surgery for an abscess on his groin last year; it's so scary. i hope everything is well with asher, now!
msjaQ- 28, pantheist AP detroit mama to:
timothy michael, august 31, 2003, 12:02pm, 8 lb. 4 oz., 21"- 38 wks.
melissa may, april 7, 2006, 1:31pm, 7 lb. 10.5 oz., 19.5"- 36.5 wks
nicholas michael, january 31, 2010, 5:12pm, 5 lb. 11 oz., 18.25"- 37.1 wks
damon michael, january 21, 2012, 1:31am, 6 lb. 14 oz., 20", 38 wks
rainbow baby left me at 6-1/2 weeks on 09.08.12~ never forgotten, sweet child

Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:00 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0