Log In Sign Up

Charlie's Story

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2005 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 16th, 2005, 10:49 AM
Molly's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Georgia
Posts: 6,760
Send a message via Yahoo to Molly
After being on bedrest for a week, I was sick and tired of laying around. Can you believe it? So I was READY (finally) for Charlie to be here. However, I didn't expect it, for some reason. I was going to the doctor twice a week for monitoring of my blood pressure and the such. On Oct. 20 the doctor suspected I would be induced sometime the following week, but sent me home for more rest... Monday was my next routine appointment. Fortunately I insisted that Mike come home from work to go with me.

My doctor sent me to L&D for more monitoring and to measure my amniotic fluid (again). The monitoring didn't go very well, but more telling was that my fluid had dropped from 12 on Thursday to 5 on Monday, which was a concern. So the induction started that evening with Cervidix (sp?). Mike went home to get all our stuff - I really didn't expect to stay!!

At about 3:00 am contractions started - and I got no more sleep. At about 4:00 I felt a little leaking. I mentioned it to the nurse who thought it was just the gel. Well, when I was checked at about 8:00 am, my water had definitely broken, and that was probably what happened at 4:00. So I showered and ate, then started pitocin around 9:30. I had a long three hours of contractions (I know - only three hours, but they hurt! I'm very intolerant of pain). My midwife said I could have the epidural anytime because I was 3 cm already. So by 12:30 I gave in and the anesthesiologist became my very best friend. I never screamed or got mad at Mike, which I'm glad for. I'm sure the Christmas music he played for me helped!! He really was wonderful through the pain, and I couldn't have asked for a better "contraction" time, considering.

So, after the epidural we were able to nap for a bit. However, during contractions Charlie's heartbeat would drop, so they put me on oxygen to help him out. I hated that mask! I also got very worried, but they kept a good eye on him. Then about 5:00 I was just sure something was going on. Yep - he was on his way, but he wasn't quite low enough. So I waited upright for about 30 minutes, and he was definitely coming. I pushed for about an hour (although it didn't seem that long). Charlie's blonde hair was first to show!! Mike was able to watch and was just amazed at it all. Finally out came his head - with the umbilical cord wrapped around his neck! No problem - the midwife got that fixed right away. Then out came the rest of him like a big blob of rubber. I swear I'll never forget how that felt. After Mike cut the umbilical cord he came straight to my arms, and I did not say "Ew!!" I'm very proud of myself.

Charlie got cleaned up and the such, but was having some issues breathing so he had to go to NICU for a few hours. We were able to have Jessica (Mike's daughter) come in and have a quick family picture taken first. Everyone else had to wait to meet him.

Later that night, around 11:00, Charlie was finally able to come to my room. I can't even explain how I felt when I saw him again. I'm still surprised I slept at all - I just stared at him for the longest time.

We were in the hospital until Thursday evening when we were both cleared to go home. Charlie did not need any more anitbiotics!! Yay! We had to go back for biliruben tests for three more days, but that got better, too.

Everyone is so right when they say having a child will change your life. I never ever knew I could feel this way about anything or anyone!!

Did I forget anything??

I did, but I added it...
Reply With Quote
November 16th, 2005, 12:59 PM
Proverbs31Mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: NJ
Posts: 6,722
Yaaay!! COngratulations on your motherhood experience! That is what happens when you become a mom. You begin to wonder where all those feelings have been before and how possible it is that you can fee sooooo much of them! I cant define them either but reading your story reminded me EXACTLY how I felt when I held DD the very first time. Glad Mike didnt say Ew! I expected my DH to say so but he also didnt. He was actually surprised that the cord is soo white and not gross as you might think!

Congratulations, and great moments are on your way with Charlie!
Kel: Blessed mom to:
Precious - 7 yrs old
Trinity - 5 yrs old
Jordan - 3 yrs old
Children are an inheritance from the Lord. The fruit of the womb a reward.
Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:35 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0