Log In Sign Up

Ethan's birth story....

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2005 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 24th, 2005, 10:55 AM
sunshinealyssamichelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Illinois
Posts: 5,402
Send a message via Yahoo to sunshinealyssamichelle
I know I've been referring to my mother's death a lot but it does have to do with the birth of Ethan.

On Thursday, November 3 my mother passed away of a massive heart attack which took us all by surprise. My blood pressure and blood sugar were up and the protein in my urine kept coming back and then decreasing, coming back and then decreasing. So, on Friday the fourth, we went to the docs office in which they did my seventh non-stress test. They checked my cervix which was not dialated. My blood pressure was sky high. I was 37 weeks that day. They sent me over to the hospital to triage to be monitored. I was very emotional and could not stop crying. But, everyone was informed of my mother's death before I went to the office and to the hospital. All of the nurses and doctors were absolutely wonderful. They were so sincere. I was in triage for what seemed like ages when the (handsome) doctor came in and informed me that it was extremely risky for me not to be induced that day. So, they settled me into my room in special obstetrics unit and hooked me up to all kinds of monitors and had me on my left side all day. I was so upset because I felt that I needed to be with my family during this time to make arrangements for the funeral. My mom was one of my best friends, so it was extremely stressful for me not to be at home helping out. However, everyone was aware of my situation thanks to my wonderful (and prepared) husband and mother in law (who drove up from St. Louis-6 hours). So, about 8 p.m. on Friday, the doctor came to put cervadil in to see if they could soften my cervix to begin dialation. They took it out at 8 a.m. on Saturday morning and checked. I had not dialated but my cervix past a fingertip, but it had softened. They moved me into my childbirth room and started pitocin. To my surprise, my family showed up one by one for the next couple of hours. My contractions started coming but irregularly. They pumped up the pitocin from 2 cc's to 20 cc's all day long. My family came in, three at a time and held my hands and supported me. I was in my breathing routine, concentrating on relaxing my body, squeezing hands and listening to the t.v. The funniest part of my whole labor was that there HAD to be a football game on the television for me to listen to or else I could not concentrate. When one game was over, I begged them to find me another game. Let me mention that I hate football, except for Notre Dame football-and they won that day.
The resident doc came in about 2:30 p.m. and checked my cervix. He tried to break my water but was not successful. It hurt so bad because I was contracting the whole time. It took the res. doc about ten minutes inside.
He called my doctor to see if she could come in to break my water. At 3:45, she broke my water. It felt sooooo gross! I have to say that my husband was a trooper the entire time! My family was there to support me, watch football and be together during this most bittersweet time. At about 8 p.m. I asked for something for the pain. They gave me Nubain, which is the best non-narcotic pain killer ever! They put it straight into my i.v. Two seconds later, I felt like I was completely drunk and the room was spinning. My husband was talking to me and expecting me to answer. My dad, husband, sister and brother were in the room with me when I looked at hubby and said (in a drunk-ish voice), "I feel like my mouth is drunk." They thought it was pretty funny. It knocked the pain off for about 2.5 hours. The doctor came in a couple times to check me and I had dialated to 3 cm's. At 3:45 a.m., 12 hours after she had broke my water, doctor came in to check me and tell me that for whatever reason, my body was not dialating past three cm's. She was a little concerned seeing as I had been in labor for about 16 hours already. Ethan's vitals were good, though. I was getting tired, although my family said I looked like a pro for labor. So, we opted for a c-section. The guy came in to give me my epidural. At this point, I was shaking from the pain. I held up straight to receive my epidural. They let me rest for about ten minutes and then wheeled me into the section room. There were a total of 12 members of my family that were at the hospital with me darn near all day Saturday and remained until Ethan was born. They prepped me for surgery. I closed my eyes because I was scared and immediately saw my mother laughing, smiling and crying at the same time. She looked so happy that I relaxed completely. The nurses brought my husband in in his scrubs (and he looked so cute-I noticed after everything settled down). He sat down beside me. They cut me open and began pulling and tugging on everything to get Ethan out. I felt so much pressure on my bladder that it kind of hurt. About five minutes later, they put a mirror up because they brought his head out. I started crying when both my husband and I saw his cheeks. (He has his momma's cheeks). He was born and immediately started crying. My husband got to go check him out and play with him while they were stitching me up. He said that Ethan was stretching and stretching the whole time. He was born at 4:32 a.m. on Sunday, November 6 weighing in at 8 pounds (at 37 weeks) and was 20 inches long. We stayed in the hospital until Thursday and immediately went to the viewing and the funeral. Every single nurse and doctor that had taken care of me at some point in the pregnancy came to visit us in the hospital, giving their condolences and complimenting us on our beautiful baby. Besides losing my mother (one of my best friends) I wouldn't have traded this experience for the world.
I went back to the doctor 2 weeks after his birth and lost 34 pounds! We are at home and things are going great! He is such a good little little little man. (That's what my husband calls him). I'll post pictures soon on the main board.

Alyssa, Mom to:
Ethan, November 6, 2005
Lexi, August 20, 2007

Reply With Quote
December 1st, 2005, 01:36 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 27,278
I'm sorry this has been such a bittersweet time for you and your family.

Congratulations on the birth of little Ethan... your "little little little man."
Reply With Quote
December 1st, 2005, 04:35 AM
Join Date: May 2005
Location: florida
Posts: 217
Congratulations to you on the birth of your little one
Reply With Quote
December 7th, 2005, 07:36 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Chicago suburbs
Posts: 18,750
Congratulations on Ethan!!
I am sure it was a wonderfu and very difficult time in your life!
You have a precious baby boy!
Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:43 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0