Log In Sign Up

Parker's Birth Story...long

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2005 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 25th, 2005, 07:53 AM
Jennsniffer's Avatar Super Mommy
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 672
Hey guys! I miss you all soooooo much!!!

I have a second on the internet so I thought I'd post her birth story and a few pictures.
Here it goes..its long so if you don't want to read it skip to the end for the good stuff...the pictures.

Parker’s Birth Story

Friday 11-04-05


I went to my scheduled Dr’s appointment and everything looked really good except my blood pressure. Again it was uncharacteristically high, (I had been on bedrest due to preeclampsia). The Dr. did an internal and I was dilated to 2…she stretched me to a 3….ouch.

She said, “Well, I think its time to get this baby out of here. I want you to go home and do what you need to do and then head right over to the Hospital. I want you there in less than two hours.”

So off to home I go…calling DH, my mom, and my friend Melissa so they know what’s going on.

12:00 pm waiting in Women’s Evaluation Unit at St. Johns Mercy

We arrived at the hospital about noon. I filled out some release forms and then they put us in an evaluation room where we waited, and waited and waited. A nurse came in and did my family history, drew blood, and told us that there were no available beds in Labor and Delivery and as soon as one came available they would be moving me.

We waited until 5:00pm for a bed.

5:00 pm finally on our way up to Labor and Delivery

Once we were in L & D things happened pretty fast. They put in an IV, did an internal exam, got me some freaking Jell-O thank god (I hadn’t had any food since 9 am) and hooked up to the fetal monitor.

A Dr. came in to check on me and when she was looking at the fetal monitor she looked at me and asked, “Are you in any pain at all?” I shook my head ‘no’ because I wasn’t at all. I was too happy that I had Jell-O. She said, “Are you sure because you are having some pretty intense contractions and they are coming every two minutes.”

I was amazed b/c I couldn’t feel them at all. I concentrated when she told me one was coming and I could feel my stomach tighten but that was it. Then they hooked me up to the Pitocen and I started feeling them a little bit more. Still tolerable though. Then the nurses came in and broke my water…that was a weird feeling I had no idea there was that much fluid up there!

After my water broke I really started to feel the contractions. I was going to try for a natural birth but screw that!

8:00 pm Epidural….very nice.

I now am a firm believer that the Epidural is a gift from god.

8:00 pm – 1:00 am

Now that I was comfortable I slept on and off for several hours. The nurses kept popping in and checking my progress and taking my temp and blood pressure. Everything was going really well. At 1:00 am I was dilated to an 8.

Since I was dilating so fast my Doctor requested that they “labor down” which basically means that they give me another full dose of the epidural to slow down the labor process.

4:00 am dilated to 10

YAY finally they tell me I can push. I can feel lots of pressure and I’m excited b/c THANK GOD it’s almost over!!!

Two nurses come in and hold up my legs and we start pushing.

They keep telling me they can feel her head “right there” and assuring me that everything is going great. I can feel lots of pressure but b/c of the second full dose of anesthesia I couldn’t feel where to push…it was all numb.

I pushed for two hours and I wasn’t allowed to push the button to release more pain meds in the epidural because I was having trouble feeling everything. So after about an hour I’m starting to be in some really intense pain. I kept pushing and pushing and I never felt the baby moving down just staying in the same place. I was exhausted and not feeling good and I couldn’t push anymore.

They kept taking my temperature and it was getting high. At around 6:00am it was 101.7.

At 6:30 am my Doctor finally got to the hospital. She did an internal check and she gave me a look and I just knew what she was going to say. She asked the nurses to leave the room and she looked at me and said, “You and I discussed this and I think you know what’s coming. The nurses have been telling me that you were a +2 possibly a +3 and you were progressing, but you are still at a -1 and the baby is stuck right in the birth canal. It also feels like she is OP (face up) and that might be a problem. Now we could let you continue to labor but your temperature and the baby’s heart rate is telling me something is wrong. If we let you continue to labor it might turn out ok, or it might mean jeopardizing your life or your baby’s life.”

So right there I decided that the risk was not worth it. So they told me to stop pushing…which was awful because the epidural had run out and her head was lodged in the birth canal. I was crushing DH's hand and yelling, “Please hurry please hurry please hurry…” to the anesthesiologist who was on her way.

7:00 am in the operating room

Finally I’m feeling better b/c I’m numb from the chest down…lol. DH was super sweet the whole time I couldn’t have asked for a better coach. It went so fast, I had no idea they had even started when I heard Parker cry for the first time. My doctor said, “It’s a girl! And oh my god look at her HAIR!!!” and I saw someone carry her to the lights and exam table.

After a few minutes DH carried her over to me so I could see her and I couldn’t believe how beautiful she was. She had so much hair! I didn’t get to see her long b/c they had to take her up to the nursery.

They sewed me up and sent me to recovery.

8:00 am – 1:00 pm waiting in recovery

I was stuck in recovery FOREVER. All I wanted was to see the baby and because I still had a high fever they weren’t letting me out of recovery. I was getting really frustrated and then my friend Nikki walked in and I was so grateful b/c it kept my mind off of wanting to see the baby.

She stayed with me until they finally took me up to the postpartum room.

DH was waiting for me there and he said that he didn’t come down to recovery b/c the nurses kept telling him that I was on my way up. He was starting to get worried.

Not too much long after they got me into bed and cleaned up they brought in Parker…yay!

The rest of my stay in a nut shell…

I still had a high fever and they loaded me on three different antibiotics every three hours through my IV. To put it in perspective the nurse said that the fridge in the nurse’s station was so full of my antibiotics they couldn’t fit anything else in there.

My doctor thinks I have an infection in my uterus and that is why my fever wouldn’t go down. They said I couldn’t leave the hospital until I had a normal temperature for 24 hours. So I had to stay for 10 days instead of the normal 3-4 for a C-Section.

So, that’s my story! I am still on antibiotics and if my fever reaches 100.4 or higher I have to go back to the hospital. Yesterday it got up to 100.1 but thank goodness not any higher. Parker is doing really well. She isn’t too fussy and she is nursing like a champ.


Ok...now for good stuff.

Reply With Quote
November 25th, 2005, 01:00 PM
Erin's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Iowa
Posts: 5,880
OMG! She's so freakin' cute!!!

That must have been the longest 10 days of your life! I hope Parker stayed with you.

Reply With Quote
November 25th, 2005, 07:01 PM
Jennsniffer's Avatar Super Mommy
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 672
Thank you! Your little one is adorable as well...I just love how tiny they are!

Yes she stayed with me all day during the day and she came in for feedings at night. They wouldn't let me room in with her at night unless I had someone staying with me and DH had to stay at home @ night b/c of the dogs. They brought her in for feedings though so I could nurse. She probably could have stayed with me though b/c nurses were hooking up antibiotics every hour or so, so I was awake anyway..lol.
Reply With Quote
December 1st, 2005, 12:54 AM
HavensMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Iowa, USA
Posts: 2,271
Send a message via Yahoo to HavensMommy
WOW! Sounds like a pretty intense birth experience, Jen! In the end you have a beautiful, healthy baby girl and I"m sure it was all well worth it!
<div align="center"></div>
<div align="center"> Many THANKS to MomToLucy for my ADORABLE new siggy!</div>
<div align="center"></div>
Reply With Quote
December 1st, 2005, 04:38 AM
Join Date: May 2005
Location: florida
Posts: 217
OMG look at all that hair! Haha and I thought my daughter had a decent head of hair. Shes beautiful!!! Congrats!!!!!
Reply With Quote
December 1st, 2005, 02:12 PM
_Rebecca_'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 11,150
She is so beautiful. Ten days in the hospital wow! I glad that everything is well now!
Reply With Quote
December 5th, 2005, 12:58 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Over the Rainbow
Posts: 3,950
Send a message via Yahoo to chelle2k
She is so cute! Congrats on the beautiful baby. Sorry you had to go through a tough time though.
Reply With Quote
December 6th, 2005, 02:05 PM
mom2Silas&amp;Aidan's Avatar Super Mommy
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Nashville, Tennessee
Posts: 515
She is adorable!! What a labor/delivery experience you had. I hope you are feeling better.

Silas 2/02, Aidan 6/04 and Savannah 11/05
Reply With Quote
December 7th, 2005, 07:27 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Chicago suburbs
Posts: 18,750
Parker is just adorable!! I love her hair!
I hear you on the epideral being a gift from God... I feel the same way!

Glad you are home now with your baby girl!
Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:41 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0