Log In Sign Up

Joseph Elliott's Birth Story

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2005 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 25th, 2006, 10:14 PM
Bluebunnygirl1's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 10,133
Today is Joey's birthday so now seems like a good time to finally getting around to writing his story!

Josephs birth story really starts on October 24th, 2005. My daughter Jessica, then 6, was home from school that day because she was sick. She was running a fever but had no other symptoms and I didn't think the fever was high enough to take her to the doctor yet. I was scheduled to be indued the next day. Jessica was supposed to be staying at her friends house while I was having the baby but since she was sick I called my mom to help.

Later that day (the 24th) Jessica's fever began to get higher and higher. When it reached 102, I was still feeling indecisive about what to do but decided to err on the conservative side and took her in to her pediatrician, who fortunately was the doctor who was staying late that evening and was on call that night. The pediatrician ran a blood test and urine sample trying to figure out what was wrong and there was sugar in Jessica's urine. So we had a diabetes scare but a second blood test determined it was not diabetes. So the Dr ordered a culture on the urine and gave Jessica an amoxicillan sample and sent her home.

Then next morning I was scheduled to go to the hospital at 7 AM to see if I could be induced. I hadn't slept all night because I was worrying about Jessica and of course, about my own labor and delivery. So around 5:30 AM I went up to check on Jessica, hoping that her fever was down and she was better, but now her under arm temp was 104!!! I got on the phone calling the pediatrician's exchange and since she was the doctor on call they put me right through to her. I told her what was going on and when she asked if Jess had any new symptoms I said "Yes, she says her back hurts, she thinks she slept on it funny" So the pediatrician said she wanted to see her again and asked if I could bring her and my mom with me when I went to check in at the hospital at 7, she would see Jessica while she was there doing her rounds.

So, we all drove to the hospital together, Jessica's doctor met us at the door, I was admitted to LDRP and put on the monitors, I found out later from Mike that Jessica had wound up being admitted to Pediatrics down the hall with a kidney infection!

Turned out I was already dialated to a 3 so my doctor went ahead and broke my water at 8:00 and said we would wait until noon to see if I would go into active labor on my own. In the meantime, I was allowed to walk to Pediatrics and visit with Jessica but I kept having to go back to my room every half hour or so for my own checks. LOL I never once went on my own, they had to keep coming to get me! As the morning went on, I was riding back and forth between the rooms in a wheelchair.

I didn't go into active labor on my own so at noon I was started on the Pitocin which caused hard, regular contractions. My doctor said I could have my epidural whenever I wanted so I asked to get it right away, before it *really* got bad. On the first try the epi didnt work all the way, I had what they called a "window" an area in which I could still feel everything. My anesthesiologist was determined to get it right, kept trying and trying and finally took it out completely and restarted it and so finally it took all the way (yay!) and so from about 3:00 on I felt no pain. The bad news is, I felt absolutely nothing, my legs were totally completely numb so that I was unable to walk or even move!

So I laid around and watched tv and made lists of things for Mike to bring from home when he got a chance. Mom stayed with Jessica in her room and Mike was going back and forth between us, spending more time with her than with me because I was comfortable and she needed him more than I did.

I was about halfway through watching "A Series of Unfortunate Events" when my Dr came in to check me at around 6:30 and I was 10 cm, 100% effaced and the baby was nearly crowning! Where's your husband? They asked and I didn't know, I thought he mightve gone home to get the stuff on my lists! So I called his cell phone and he was in Jessica's room so he came running.

I remember asking the nurse to turn the movie off, I didn' want to be watching "A Series of Unfortunate Events" during delivery LOL! I didn't want a mirror but my doctor encouraged me to have it because she said it helps you push more effectively if you can watch what you are doing. So I had the mirror. While I was right in the middle of pushing one of the bulbs in the surgical light over my bed exploded! It was soo wierd!!! Everyone stopped what they were doing to stare up at this light (it had a plastic guard over it so no glass came down on us or anything, thankfully!) and then they remembered, oh yeah, we've still got a baby coming here! And in under 10 minutes of pushing, my precious little Joseph came into the world!

Joseph Elliot was born at 6:49 PM on Tuesday, October 25th. He weighed 8 lbs 13 oz and was 21 inches long. We stayed in the hospital for 2 nights and then on the 3rd day, Jessica, Joseph and I were all discharged and we went home together.

Reply With Quote
October 28th, 2006, 07:22 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Chicago suburbs
Posts: 18,750
OMG. What a crazy time for you. I would have been SO worried about Jessica!! I assume it was somewhat of a relief to have her at the hospital with you. How wonderful that everyone got to come home together. I am so glad you decided to have her illness checked out.

Sounds like a pretty easy delivery...Joseph knew you had enough going on, he made it easy on you. That's too funny about the light exploding.
Reply With Quote
December 14th, 2006, 08:45 AM
tonyarn's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Marion, Iowa
Posts: 14,544
LOL! I finally read this. I knew some of the details, but not everything. LOL! Everything bizarre always happens to Amy!

Benjamin 2/2/09

***site contains pictures***
I have 3 angels waiting for me in heaven.
Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:47 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0