Log In Sign Up

Brady's birth story

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2005 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 7th, 2006, 04:11 PM
Hotcha's Avatar Regular
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Florida panhandle
Posts: 54
Send a message via AIM to Hotcha Send a message via Yahoo to Hotcha
Believe it or not, this is the edited down version!

On Monday, August 22 I began having contractions throughout the day. They weren’t consistent, but they didn’t feel like Braxton Hicks either. I can’t explain how I knew the difference, but I just did. (I’d lost my mucous plug on 8/21—well, parts of it. Over the next 2 days, more came out. Yuck.)

Monday night, contractions kept waking me up, but I could tell they weren’t regular, so I kept going back to sleep. Around 4am, I couldn’t sleep through them anymore and got up to go time them. Using an online contraction timer, I logged the contractions and found they were consistently 3-5 minutes apart. I took a shower and had DH call. The midwife on call said to wait until their office opened at 8:30 to come in and get checked out there since I was only 1cm at my last appointment, but if the contractions got really bad to call her back.

We got to the office at 8:30 were told I was only 3 ½ cm dilated! And that was after she “helped me along” some. She said to go walk around for 2 hours to get the hormones going, but that didn’t help. We were sent home and instructed to come back at 3pm if the contractions got stronger.

The contractions got stronger and we went back at 3. I was 5cm dilated and 80% effaced. They did the paperwork and I was a direct admin (rather than having to go through triage). My midwife didn’t even bother asking how I wanted to do things, she simply asked what kind of pain medication I wanted! The word “epidural” flew out of my mouth so fast!

We got to the hospital and got settled in and the contractions were SO BAD. I checked in at 3:45pm. They started me on an IV of fluids that I had to have before getting the epi. Rather, they tried to get the IV going. They couldn’t find a vein and had to call in someone to do it They had one in, but I didn’t take after a while. I’ve counted like 7-8 places they tried! Ouch! I have bruises all over my arms. I was severely dehydrated and have small veins to begin with, so that made life fun! Apparently, I wasn’t too much of a b*tch though. The L&D nurses were soooo amazing! Especially the one assigned to us at that point.

The epi man came and I farted on him. How embarrassing. I think I did it more than once, to be honest. Oh well! I got my epidural and life was good. I remember feeling the cold sensation running down my back that everyone talks about. It was like ice water! Slowly, I felt the epi kicking in. It was awesome. I could still feel the pressure from the contractions, but the pain was gone.

At that point, my water still hadn’t broken. I was Group Strep B positive, so my midwife wanted to wait until the 4 hours after I’d gotten my antibiotics to break my water. She was planning to do that at 9pm. I remember it was about 7:30 then. I sat back to chill and go to sleep until 9. I started to notice the pressure getting to be stronger and stronger. During a particular strong contraction, my water broke. The nurse called my midwife around 8pm and she got there around 8:30.

My midwife said there was a small amount of meconium in the amniotic fluid and had the nurse call the NICU team. Freaked me out! I was told I could push any time I felt the urge. I remember saying then that I wasn’t ready to have Brady. Everyone laughed at me, thinking I meant I wasn’t ready to push. I quickly clarified that I wasn’t ready to be a mom! That made everyone laugh more.

The urge to push was so weird. Between contractions, I kept saying I couldn’t push. But once one came, it just felt so good to push. I started pushing around 8:40, if not a little later.

I don’t know exactly how many contractions I had before Brady was born, but I think it was five, max six. I remember pushing and feeling Brady in the birth canal. It was so weird. At that point, I was hoping I didn’t have much longer to push b/c it felt like I’d been at it for a while.

The actual birth felt exactly like it was… I felt a head and I felt a body. It was so weird!!

I didn’t hear him cry and I got so scared. They assured me he was fine and that he didn’t need to be crying. The NICU team swept him away to the little station they had in the room and DH was by his side. It seemed like forever until I could hold him. I was assured he was doing well. DH was w/ the NICU team (a lady and a guy) and they were keeping him informed about everything.

The NICU lady nurse came over and told me what was going on and said that Brady might have to stay in the NICU for a while, but that they were still checking him over. Turns out that he didn’t have to after all.

Brady was “normal” size, but I never felt that I was pregnant enough to have a baby that big in me!!

His stats:

Born: 9:09pm, August 23, 2005
Weight: 7lb 4oz
Length: 19 ¾ inches

Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:03 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0