Log In Sign Up

Keegan Riley's Grand Entrance

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2005 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 16th, 2005, 05:59 PM
writinghoosier's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Indiana
Posts: 4,342
Keegan’s arrival… for better or worse

I want to warn you that there is some not so fun stuff in here… please keep in mind that neither my body nor Keegan was ready for this delivery. My water broke prematurely, and my OB has no explanation why. So not only did we need to get Keegan here, but none of the “pre-labor” stuff had taken place… Keegan wasn’t engaged and my body wasn’t producing any of the natural hormones… so this is not a “normal” delivery by any stretch of the imagination!

I also have a little back story…

First, I need to mention that my cat, for some unknown reason, developed some mysterious illness last week. This was interesting because we had just had his yearly exam, ALL the blood work, etc., and nothing had shown up that would indicate he would be running a 103.9 temp five days later. So, we started him on two rounds of antibiotics every day. Now, on Sunday morning, September 11, Louis was scheduled to work the day shift at a hospital he works PRN at, so we set the alarm for 6:15am to get up and give him the meds together. (Normally I don’t get up until 9 when he works the day shift.)

September 11, 2005 (You know it’s bad when you have to start with the date…)
6:15am: As I propped myself up to get out of bed, I felt a gush and looked down to see a medium sized wet spot on the bed. I thought (rather calmly), “Oh {insert another word for crap}.” I called to Louis, who is in the bathroom that I needed him to come back to the bedroom. When he got back to the room, I said, “Either I have totally lost control of my bladder or my water just broke.” He didn’t know what to say and after fifteen minutes of constant leaking, we both knew what was going on. I called my OB on-call line and as luck would have it, the OB who had been treating me for hypertension was on call. He called back and told me to meet him at the hospital at 8am.

Okay, so we get everything we need ready and it’s only 7am, so I decide that Louis is taking me out for breakfast, since, if this is it, I won’t be eating once I get into the hospital. I “manage” the leaking and we went to breakfast before meeting my doc at L&D. The nurse knew we were coming in and I don’t think she believed that I was in labor. But they did the strip test and she dropped it into the “pool” before she actually inserted it and said, “It’s already blue.” My doc showed up a few minutes later to do a speculum exam, which also indicated that my water had broke. So, he did an internal only to find that he couldn’t even reach my cervix, it was still so high… so needless to say there was very little chance that I was dilating and oh… the internal hurt like crazy!. We decided to wait until 12:30 to see if my body would kick in on its own. It didn’t. And so begins the part that I should warn you about! (It ends up amazing in the end, but the next paragraph or two might be a little scary.)

We start the pitocin around 12:45 after yet another painful internal that showed no change. The labor kicked in and within three hours, I was experiencing some pretty wicked back labor, and while I have never had a child before this one, I now believe everyone who says back labor is no picnic. After four hours, I was only 1 centimeter so, as per the pain management plan Louis and I had come up with, I asked for a shot to nubane to see if I could relax enough to get my body to dilate more. It worked… I was now at 2cm, and the pain of the back labor was getting worse. So, I asked for the epidural.

Now, I specifically asked the MD how long he had been serving up epis… he said three years… I think he was a liar! I should mention that my contractions are now 1 minute apart and coming hard and fast. So let’s recap… back labor, 2cm. contractions 1 minute apart, and Elmer Fudd pushing on my back. The epidural didn’t hurt. It also didn’t work. No, I take that back… it dulled the pain sort of, but not really and within an hour, I was asking for my mother and clinging to the side of the bedrail like it was the only thing between me and the water below the Titanic. I kept trying to breathe through the contractions, but it wasn’t working too well. In fact, I was trying to convince the nurse that I really wanted a C-Section more than anything in the world and that I had no idea what I was thinking doing anything else.

So the nurse called the staff doctor who was on call for the evening and he came in to ask if I wanted another epidural, which I flat out refused, thinking that there was no way I could sit still through another epidural. But Louis made me realize that the first epi hadn’t taken effect and that the new guy knew what he was doing. After some pleading, I gave in. The nurse gave me another shot of nubane and added some anti-nausea med to it, to help me deal with the nausea I was having. Thank God for her. Not only did the nubane make the pain less noticeable, the anti-nausea made me sleepy and I slept through most of the insertion of the second epidural. Louis was allowed to work with me while the epi was being placed, since he’s an RN and I am so glad that he did.

(Now, I should mention, this is where it begins to get amusing… because the combination of all the drugs made me a little loopy… I was talking about buying land to build an ice cream factory and apparently was talking in my sleep… it’s odd, because I don’t remember any of it, or anyone laughing.) Bottom line, the second epidural took and while I have an even greater respect for women who go natural, God willing, I will never be one of them. Basically, its 11:45, I’m still at 2cm, feeling nothing. At 1:00am, I am 8cm, 100% thinned out, sleeping like a baby, and almost ready to begin the pushing. At 1:44am, the nurse tells me it’s time to push. I ask what station the baby is at, to which I am told -1. I asked if we should wait until it was in a positive position, but she seemed pretty intent that we needed to get this baby out. (Turns out, my blood pressure was 197/120 and Keegan’s little heart was getting to the point that he couldn’t take much more. No one bothered to tell me this stuff until the next day… now it made sense why everyone was looking a little worried and why no one would give me details… but again, being loopy, I just went with the flow.)

So, I bucked down and prepared to push. The nurse told me that it could take up to an hour to get him into position to deliver. On the first set of pushes, Keegan’s head was crowning. After the second, I was told to stop pushing and wait for the doctor. Two pushes later and my 4 pound, 11 ounce little prince took his first breath at 1:54am on September 12, 2005. So a total of 8 pushes and he went from -1 station to born… I tried to explain to them that I had watched all the birth stories and baby stories, and I KNEW how to push.

I didn’t get to hold him right away, but Louis did get to cut the cord. They took Keegan over to the warmer and started examining him. Even though he was early, and even though he had been through the ringer, he needed no help in breathing. In fact, his 1 minute and 5 minute apgar score was a 9. I couldn’t take my eyes off of him. His name means “Little fiery valiant one”… I think it suits him perfectly. (And I will never again name a child with the name involving the name “little” again!) Eventually, I did get to hold him for a few minutes and he was the most beautiful thing I had ever seen… yes, I am his mother.
(Yes, I know I need a new signature!)

Reply With Quote
September 16th, 2005, 06:40 PM
Posts: n/a
Did they ever figure out what made your water break? An Infection maybe?

Other than that, I want to buy shares in your ice cream factory.

At least everything came out alright and you have a beautiful little boy to lavish all your attention on!
Reply With Quote
September 16th, 2005, 06:56 PM
Madeline410's Avatar Maddie
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Twin Cities, Minnesota
Posts: 48,199
Send a message via Yahoo to Madeline410
What a great story!! You are a very strong person for going through all that... congrats Sarah! I am so happy you are home and Keegan is with you. You should make a post on how to push lol!! I'd love to know what you did!

95% of kids aren't in their car seats safely.
Click here to see how your child should look!

A rear-facing child is 75% less likely to die in a crash. Click here to learn more!

Are you installing your car seats correctly?
to watch my installation videos,
click HERE!

Reply With Quote
September 16th, 2005, 07:12 PM
Kelly's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 21,788
Wow....what a story. I'm glad you both came out of it ok.

Reply With Quote
September 16th, 2005, 07:40 PM
cindymat's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Indiana
Posts: 6,810
Did you get to take him home with you? I assume so since I didnt read otherwise.
Congrats congrats!! You made it!! I agree with the natural childbirth part----whoever does it willingly is a total SUPERWOMAN in my eyes.

Yay!! I am so happy you have your little prince!

Reply With Quote
September 16th, 2005, 07:41 PM
glasscandie's Avatar What I make is what I am
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Near Washington, DC
Posts: 15,982
Send a message via AIM to glasscandie Send a message via Yahoo to glasscandie
I've been waiting for you story for days!!!! You don't understand how excited I got when I saw it was posted lol Just had to get that out there.

What an amazing birth story. You must be one strong woman to go thru all that anxiety and stress, and must be *very* in tune with your body to have gotten him out that quickly!!!! I can only hope I could do the same! And glad he wasn't born on the 11th! You made it by an hour or so! lol
I predict a riot.
Reply With Quote
September 16th, 2005, 08:05 PM
jamie1005's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 4,823
Congratulations Sarah! I'm sorry your labor was so hard and unpleasant but now you have a beautiful baby boy! I'm glad Keegan was happy, can't wait to see pics!

Reply With Quote
September 16th, 2005, 08:31 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: May 2005
Location: VA
Posts: 4,035
Wow what a story! I'm glad you both are OK. Congratulations.
Reply With Quote
September 16th, 2005, 09:01 PM
~Cupcake~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 14,294
Well written Sarah! Heartwarming and entertaining I am so glad he arrived safely! He is so sweet

Reply With Quote
September 17th, 2005, 05:04 AM
Shalini's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 4,899
Wow, u're strong to have gone thro' that ... Glad everything worked out and Keegan's home with u ! I agree with Madeline, u have to post how to push

Reply With Quote
September 17th, 2005, 07:19 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 13,269
I'm so glad you guys are home and doing well. Can't wait to see more pics, he's soooo adorable!!! Congratulations!
Reply With Quote
September 17th, 2005, 07:59 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: UK
Posts: 19,038
Congratulations girl, im just happy to hear both you and your little baby are fine!
Reply With Quote
September 17th, 2005, 01:09 PM
Cherish's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Lakeland, FL
Posts: 1,425
Send a message via AIM to Cherish
congratulations!!!!!!!!! what a great story!

<blockquote>Stephie1012 threw 1 snowball at me! </blockquote>
Reply With Quote
September 17th, 2005, 08:23 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 2,530
Its funny how, once you're done, even a very rough birth can be marvelous. Once you see the baby nothing else that happened matters at all.

You, and others who are reading this story, need to know that an induction is a much rougher ride than a naturally occuring labor. Especially in a situation like yours where nothing was really ready. And, when everything is out of whack that way that's the right time to bring on the careful and considered use of the various interventions.

Its so good that Keegan made it through everything with flying colors!
Mary Beth

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/">
Reply With Quote
September 17th, 2005, 11:14 PM
lilangel91284's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Blaine, MN
Posts: 5,971

When do you plan on opeing that ice cream factory? HEHE
Im so glad that you and Keegan are doing well. Ive been waiting for your story all week.
Reply With Quote
September 18th, 2005, 06:27 AM
little_hunnyb's Avatar Super Mommy
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 573
Send a message via AIM to little_hunnyb Send a message via MSN to little_hunnyb Send a message via Yahoo to little_hunnyb
Congratulations!!! Great story...glad you both made it through...
Wife, mom, daughter, sister and friend
Step-mom to Selene 12 years old
Mom to Sirus 3 years old
Soon to be mom ???
I am hoping for a girl!
6 weeks & 3 days pregnant
Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:50 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0