Log In Sign Up

Beatrice Bean - 10/15/2005

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2005 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 15th, 2007, 05:34 AM
nadine's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 4,361
Send a message via MSN to nadine
It was a dark and stormy night.....
No, actually Beatrice it was a Beautiful Friday morning. A sunny, warm mid-October day. I kissed your daddy good-bye as he left for Houston to go to a conference for church. While I was taking a shower that morning I thought to myself, "Wouldn't it be crazy if the one day Scott is gone of the entire pregnancy I have the baby?!" I laughed and thought how impossible that would be -- you weren't due to arrive for five more weeks! And although I had some complications along the way, I never felt better. In fact, I felt like conquering the world. This was going to be a perfect day.

I had to go to school to pick up a bunch of papers to grade and then headed to the nearesst Motherhood maternity store to buy my last few items of clothes. I had gained alot of weight and needed one more pair of pants and a couple shirts to make it through the remaining weeks. I remember walking through the parking lot and thinking to myself, "I wonder if these bags are too heavy for me to carry?" I had a condition called placenta previa which meant I couldn't lift anything over a several pounds and I wasn't supposed to have too much physical activity. But I knew the bags weren't that heavy, and besides, I felt like I was in a movie that day. Everything seemed so absolutely perfect in the world and I was so thankful to be alive! I treated myself to a wonderful lunch and headed home for a brief nap.

Daddy wouldn't be home until the next afternoon, which was okay with me because I had about 6 hours of grading to do. So I headed to Starbucks with my papers and a red pen. I didn't want to just stay home by myself and work. I ordered a Jones Diet Cherry Soda for a special treat and eyed the sugar free pumpkin bread. I had gestational diabetes which meant I had to check my sugars after meals so I thought I'd wait on the bread until later that night for a reward. So I settled in and graded and graded and graded and graded. The time flew by and then daddy called me at 10:25pm to say he had a terrific night and to check on me. I told him I had a perfect day all by my lonesome and would see him the next afternoon. I had 2 more papers to grade and thought it was the perfect time for a pumpkin bread treat. As I walked up to get it I thought I better quick RUN to the potty first.

Okay ladies. If you've read this far, you'll see I was trying to write this as a letter to Bea about the night she was born but I've realized too late that I will heavily edit this version because I don't want her to know all the gory details unless she's a grown woman and interested...so I've got to switch storytelling modes. Sorry if this is a mess. And yes, the rest of this is TMI!!!!!!!

Anyway. I ran to the bathroom and felt like I was totally peeing my pants. I whipped my pants down and sat on the toilet in one very fast move and peed and peed. Just then I looked down and said, "OH SH*T!!!!!!" "OH LORD, HELP ME" (Sorry Lord it was in that order!) My pants were soaked with blood and the toilet was Full of blood. I hadn't spotted one single spot the whole pregancy despite having previa the whole time. I rushed back out to my phone. I didn't care what anybody saw @ the Starbucks. I called Scott and it went straight to voicemail. twice. As soon as I hung up the second time he called back and I told him I was headed to the ER. He Freaked and told me I needed an ambulance. I told him I'd call my BFF Barbara to pick me up and take me. I told him Not to call Anyone until I knew what was going on. I called my friend Barbara and she and her husband were on their way. I called my doctor and they called the doctor on call at the hospital. I sat in my car and waited and waited and waited in between counting baby kicks and talking with Scott on the phone. He was desparate crazy. He had no car as he had ridden with others. He was trying to find a rental car. My BFF and her husband took forever to get to me because the main freeway was all but shut down with construction. Finally they picked me up and as we were approaching the hospital the doctor called and practically Yelled at me that I had to get to the hospital NOW!!!

I bled at 10:30pm. I walked into Labor and Delivery at 11:45pm. What should have been a 20 minute drive took an hour and 15 minutes!!! I knew I should have just driven myself. The nurse took me straight to a labor room and looked at my soaked pants. She left for 30 seconds and came back and walked me to the bed. As she was helping me sit down she told me I was going to have this baby now and they would prep me for a c-section. I went into shock and was shaking shaking shaking all over. I knew it was serious but I thought the WORST that would happen is that they would give me some sort of shot and I would be on bedrest at the hospital for a couple weeks. I never in a million years dreamed during that hour and a half that I'd be having a baby. I was clueless and didn't realize what had really happened -- the placenta had ruptured.

As soon as the nurse said I would be prepped, the doctor came in snapping her fingers saying "Let's go! Let's go!" as about 8-10 people swarmed around me hooking me up to monitors, putting in IVs, giving me a spinal. It all swirled so fast and all I knew was the doctor was snapping her fingers and my BFF was holding my hand telling me everything was as it should be and that God knew the day and the hour for our daughter to be born. He wasn't surprised. Then she got in scrubs and headed with me into the surgery room.
We weren't in there but a few minutes and they began the surgery. I thought that a spinal or epidural meant you didn't feel a thing but I felt all sorts of pressure pokes and was trying to tell them I still felt something but before I could really say anything I heard a baby cry and they showed me this tiny little girl with blond hair. And now I was really in shock!!! We got to the hospital @ 11:45. Our daughter was delivered at 12:15, 5lbs 5 oz. She was perfect.

My BFF took pictures and left with her while they sewed me up. I felt so sick. As they wheeled me back to the room I was stunned because the lobby was packed!!!!!!! I had been the only one to come in that night. They didn't have any other deliveries going on. But now the lobby was FULL of my friends and BIL & SIL. Scott had called everyone he knew and they all rushed to the hospital on a late late Friday night. I felt so loved. Scott was madly rushing back from Houston. My mom was rushing from work. Scott's parents were in Baltimore with their cell phones off for the night. But my friends, who are just like family, surrounded me with such love.

My room was a zoo with everyone in and out. My mom arrived @ 1:15 and Scott arrived @ 2:30am. We had three names to choose from but once we both met her we knew she was Beatrice Bean! And we were so in love. I thought Friday was a perfect day. I was wrong. My perfect life didn't really begin until 12:15am on Saturday, October 15, 2005 when Beatrice made her glorious entry into this world.

And then I was up for 40+ hours straight. And that's a whole 'nother story.

Thanks for reading!!!!!!!!!!!! Happiest Birthday Beatrice!!!!!!!!

Reply With Quote
March 4th, 2008, 03:57 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 9,141
Oh Nadine!! I have tears streaming down my face after reading about BEAUTIFUL Beatrice Bean's arrival into the world. What a HUGE range of emotions!! And what a story to tell!! She is one SPECIAL girl!!!

Reply With Quote
March 5th, 2008, 09:34 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Chicago suburbs
Posts: 18,750
I agree! I've read it before but it always has the same affect on me. So many different emotions! She is a very special big sister now! And she had one heck of an enterence into this world!
Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:44 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0