Log In Sign Up

Abby Kimiyo's birth story

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2005 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 25th, 2005, 12:10 AM
lauren in hi's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 27,499
Okay, on 9/19 I awoke around 2 a.m. not feeling great...backache and stomach cramps. Had a feeling something might be happening, but managed to get back to sleep till 4 when I had the same aches & pains. I started contracting around 6:30 a.m. and had 'em 10 min. apart for 2 or 3 hrs. I called L & D just b'c I had to get my ride & call DH, etc. and they said when they were 5 min. apart to call. I did, and they told me to wait till I had them for 2 hrs. straight & I did. Oh, and I was definitely having bloody show from before then, too.

My FIL came over and after I had called L & D again, I started getting ready. We got to the hospital around 12:30 p.m. They were really busy and had us in a temp. room in the hallway...at least there was a curtain! When they were able to check, I was 2-3 cm. They told me to walk around for an hour to try to bring me up to 4 cm. b'c they wouldn't admit me otherwise. So my FIL & I went walking around a bit and came back. We had to wait a while and then they said they had a room open up so we could go in there. At that point, my mom & Brant had both come, too.

They didn't check me right away, and when the nurse came back at 6:20, she said I was still a 3 but she could "make" me a 4. Sounds scary, but it wasn't painful, and I am so glad 'cause they were turning some other women away & I knew I'd have to come back at some point. It was a waiting game from then. I forget what time I had the epidural, but I got it when I was 6 c.m. For me, the worst part was having to drink the liquid antacid first! (I hate liquid meds.) It was so great having it. Brant kept wanting me to get it, but I was trying to wait 'cause I had a feeling it might wear off, plus I didn't want the catheter for my bladder in too long b'c I was scared of contracting a UTI. I was in pain, but it was manageable enough.

But, I got stuck at 9 for a while and they had put me on pitocin from some point before that, and then they upped it. My epi started wearing off and they had to top me off. It did that again later, even after they gave me more meds. At that point I figured I would just wait since I wasn't feeling everything yet anyhow, and my legs were completely numb.

Of course, I didn't sleep that night. I tried, but I really couldn't. I ended up having a fever & having to go on antibiotics. My water broke at some point, and then when the nurse examined me, they found I had another bag of something...I forget what they called it, but another nurse ended up breaking that bag of fluid as well. Both sets of parents ended up going home to feed their pets (& ours) and coming back later on at like 6-ish on the 20th. I was still a 9 until around 8:30 or so and then I started pushing at around 9:10 a.m. and Abby was born at 10:21. The 2nd half of my delivery was when the epi had really worn off except on my legs, and I was so glad it didn't take longer than it did.

Everyone was so amazed that I was able to have a normal delivery 'cause she was 6 lbs. 14 oz. (I won't go into detail, but she did some major damage on me coming out.). In a way, I'm glad my labor was long because we thought 9/20 just had a nice ring to it. And my birthday is on the 22nd of Dec. & Brant's is the 24th of Aug. so having her on the 20th just makes a nice little pattern. Plus, my mom's is the 20th of Jan. and my BIL and a good friend of mine are both born on Oct. 20th.

My hospital stay was another story...I am glad we are home and that we have our little bundle of joy at last. It was the best having Brant around because he was a really good coach and helped the nurse w/ the delivery up till the crowning which is when they had the dr. and another nurse come in to help. I could not have done it without him afterward, either, as they would not take Abby at all (& I could barely move!) and we had to squish into a semi-private room w/ another couple & their baby.

We've been home since Thurs. around lunch time, and my mom has been staying w/ us. It's been an adjustment, but things are getting easier. Both Brant & I are enjoying parenthood; we can't believe Abby is finally here!

Reply With Quote
September 25th, 2005, 09:32 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Posts: 2,628
Wow Lauren you are superwoman that is such a long labor! Congratulations on your little girl!

Reply With Quote
September 26th, 2005, 11:12 AM
lauren in hi's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 27,499
Originally posted by Sarah1981@Sep 25 2005, 10:32 AM
Wow Lauren you are superwoman that is such a long labor!* Congratulations on your little girl!
<div align="right"><{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thank you, sweetie!

Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:31 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0