Log In Sign Up

Ernest's long birth story

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2005 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 13th, 2005, 05:14 PM
CeiCei's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Mobile, Alabama
Posts: 9,482
Send a message via AIM to CeiCei Send a message via MSN to CeiCei Send a message via Yahoo to CeiCei
Well, Monday night around 7 or 8pm my contractions got a little more intense than they have been for several weeks, but they weren’t painful. They were strong enough to where I had to actually breathe through them. I couldn’t sleep at all that night and something told me that I would have my baby before the week was out. I still didn’t think I was that far dilated yet. I even timed my contractions and they turned out to be 12 to 10 minutes apart.

On Tuesday I had to take my son, Cordell (the 17-year-old), to his dentist appointment. Well, that turned out to be a big problem on it’s own. Not only was I not in the mood to take the bus, but we get there only for the lady to tell me that his appointment was at 8am and she couldn’t see him. I scheduled this appointment three months ago and was told that it was at 9 am 3 times before I hung up. Anyhow, back home on the bus we went. Once I got home I really needed to lie down. My sister dropped my niece over so she can go to work. With my son home I asked him to keep an eye on her for a little while I lay down. Well, I couldn’t do that because just then the pain got so bad I was almost in tears. These pains finally began in my back and I knew I was going in active labor. This was around 10:30am. I got up and started timing my contractions. They were about 3 to 5 minutes apart now. At this point I called the hospital and was told by a nurse that maybe I should eat something like a cheese sandwich or cereal to see if the contractions slow down before I came in.

I did as she suggested, but no luck. I called Ernest at work and told him that he needed to find someone to cover him because I will need to go to the hospital soon. I also called my sister and told her to be prepared to leave work early.

Around 2 or 3pm everyone was at the house. My husband, sister, brother-in-law, niece, and my son. Ernest suggested that we wait just a little while longer before going to the hospital. That way they couldn’t send me home if I am not dilated enough. We all just sat around and watched “Tyler Perry’s Madea's Class Reunion”. Occasionally, I had to get up and walk through my contractions because they had gotten extremely painful. A few times my husband massaged my back to help relieve my discomfort. Finally, around 7:30pm I decided to take my butt to the hospital.

Once we got to the hospital we found out that it was an extremely busy night. The emergency waiting room was filled with both pregnant women and children. Hardly any seats were available. It took me about a half an hour to get my initial admission done and was taken to the Labor & Delivery holding room. It seemed that the both the triage and the actual L&D sections were completely full. I sat in this room with about 4 other women. 2 who were admitted and waiting to go into L&D. The other two were waiting like me for triage. We waited so long that my sister got everyone something to eat. By the time I got done with my two slices of pizza they decided to call me to triage. This was about 9pm.

In triage, the baby’s heartbeat sounded real good, my contractions were 3 to 2 minutes apart, and I had dilated to about 3cm. I started to have a very hard time with my contractions because there was no gradual upside to them. They just hit me and hit me very hard, then taper off slowly. Just when they were going to send me home my water broke, so I had no choice but to stay.

It was around 11pm when I went to the L&D section. By then the pain was so bad I begged for Demerol. Still trying not to have an epidural. The nurse was trying her hardest to make me take the epidural, but I was determined to just take the Demerol until I couldn’t anymore. At that point I was still able to handle the pain.

Then around 1 or 2 am the contractions got even worse. They would continue to hit me hard and only taper off just a little. They felt continuous. I had no wave like contractions where they went up and down. They just hit and stayed. It was so bad that I could only cry. My husband tried to massage my back. Didn’t work. After about 30 minutes of that I begged to have the epidural. The pain was just way too much. I became a little upset because they took forever. The anesthesiologist was in a c-section so I had to wait. Once she did come they kicked everyone out the room including my husband and that upset him a lot. They tried to do the procedure without holding me down, but I could feel the needle going into my spine. Hurt a lot more than the contractions and I tried to tell them that. The more I tired to express myself the more they just said that I needed to be still. I was screaming and cussing at them. Finally, my husband came in regardless of what they wanted and held me. He advised the lady to give me more numbing medication and he will hold me to get it done. Well, it worked that time. They also ended up making me take in oxygen. It seems that the baby’s heart rate was going down during my contractions.

I am not sure how long it took, but after sometime I fell asleep. For the next 5 or 6 hours I just slept. Occasionally waking up to see if my husband and my son were okay. The nurse came in a few times to check me. I think that sometime around 5am they checked me and I was told that I wasn’t progressing past 6 or 7cm so they were going to give me something to induce labor and maybe help get me further dilated. My husband had to leave around 6am for work because he had no one to fill in for him at last minute. At least not at that point. We both honestly believed that I would have the baby much later than I did, so I wasn’t concerned. Well, it just so happens I woke up around 7am because I felt a lot of pressure in my pelvic area as if the baby was coming down. They checked me again, but no change. I also asked for more medication because I started to feel contractions again. My sister called my husband who came back to the hospital in no time. However, he left again once he heard there was no change.

Then not long after he left the doctor returned to tell me that I will need an emergency c-section. I wasn’t progressing like I should and the baby’s heart rate was continuing to decrease with each contraction. They believed that the baby was fine, but having a c-section would put the baby out of any danger. While they spoke my sister called my husband again. After everyone left the room I broke down and cried. I was so upset because nothing was going like I wanted it to and I was afraid my husband wouldn’t get back in time for the surgery. My sister just held me and said he will be here.

Everything went so quickly from when they gave me medication to when they took me to the surgery room. By then I was so drugged up all I wanted to do was sleep, but I tried to stay awake to see the baby. I think I did fall asleep for about 5 minutes because the next thing I knew my husband came in. I could hear a baby in the background. That’s when they handed the baby to my husband and announced it was a boy. The nurse mentioned he weighed 7lbs even. After a few minutes I got to hold him. All I could remember was saying how cute he was and trying to talk to him. That was the end of my memory. I woke up in recovery after that.
Kassia's Blog | Kassia's Family Blog | In My Purple Passion | The Food Travel Enthusiast

My Three Princes: Cordell (23 y/o), Ernest (5 y/o), Robert (4 y/o)

Reply With Quote
October 13th, 2005, 06:35 PM
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 5,429
Congratulations! Glad everything turned out well in the end!!
Reply With Quote
October 16th, 2005, 01:51 PM
pattyandthemoos's Avatar Administrator
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Michigan
Posts: 61,857
Congratulations! ((Hugs)) to you on the emergency csection. The same thing happened with my son Brandon. It was really scary and it just all happened really fast. I am glad that you and baby are doing well. Congrats.

Visit us at the Am I Pregnant board.
Are you trying to lose weight or get in shape? Stop by the Mommy Fitness board and say hello.

***Find me on Facebook!***
Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:17 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0