Question: Have you ever...

Forum: Children's Health

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children's Health LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 10th, 2005, 12:02 PM
Sunflower_Mommy2003's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
...had to defend your choice to leave your son intact with friends/family/coworkers? What did they say? How did you respond?

---

The only family member who made an even slightly negative comment (not really negative, just sort of goofy/uninformed) was my dad. He said that people would think my son was European if we didn't circumcise, to which I politely responded, saying something like "Not really, it's a lot less common to circumcise these days. Lots of American parents aren't doing it."

More recently, when I mentioned to my dad I was considering going to the next Genital Integrity Awareness Week event in Washington D.C. he made a comment that I was "penis obsessed" and completely jokingly said my brilliant little man would be smarter if he was circumcised. I told him I was obsessed with human/children's rights and that if he didn't knock it off I was going to go into his office and cue up a circumcision video for him to watch.

A few coworkers at the dialysis clinic where I worked while pregnant with Quinn made some ignorant comments about circumcised penises being cleaner/less prone to infection and that it was better to do it when they're little because it's so much worse when they're older, etc. You know, the usual. I countered the myths as best I could, simply...but the discussion happened in a patient care area and I didn't want to make a scene/big argument with these women. Had it come up later, in a more private setting, I probably would have gotten into a more in depth discussion...but it didn't.

Jen

Click--->Questioning Circumcision?<---Click

Intact Care Board</div>
November 10th, 2005, 05:30 PM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
Oddly enough, no one has ever said anything negative since he was born. But I've had a lot of people defend their choice to circ to me. I'm always like I don't really care what you do we just didn't see a medical reason to do it to our son.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

November 10th, 2005, 09:15 PM
Veteran
Here I am in the circing midwest and have never had a negative comment either.

There was one girl at work -- we were talking about our sons and who has "the talk" - mom or dad - and i was able to work into the conversation
"my son is different from my husband"
she said "oh, hes not circumcised?"
I said "no"
she said "you dont believe in it?"
I said "no I don't believe in it"
She was almost apologetic and said "I was only 17 and I didnt even know i had a choice"
I said, "yes I know what you mean! They really tried to pressure me into circing mine too at the hospital" I imagine the fact I was TWICE as old as her when I had my first <GULP> had something to do with it too.

It seems anytime the subject gets brought up its the other person on the defensive. I think that is the way the tide is turning.

http://www.catholicsagainstcircumcision.org/

http://www.acts15.org/

Galatians 5:2: Behold, I, Paul, tell you that if you receive circumcision, Christ will profit you nothing.

Galatians 2:21: I do not set aside the grace of God; for if righteousness comes through the law, then Christ died in vain.
November 11th, 2005, 05:58 AM
Paper-Bag-Princess
I've had to defend the non-choice to my sister, who had her son circ'd... When we decided to leave Sam intact and let our families know, my sister's reaction was one that surprised me. She said that my ds would now be the family favourite (ridiculous, yes)because all the men on my side are intact. My parents love all 3 grandchildren the same, and her son is actually the first grandchild. She knows this, but her son had all of the attention for a good 7 years before my dd came along.

My mil is another story....it's more of the 'snob' factor with her; only the lower classes don't circ. blech! Anyway, I quickly let her know that not only does the province not cover it any longer, but major medical associations do not recommend it any more either. I also added that my insurance co. would not cover it because it was considered cosmetic. She almost offered to pay for it, but I asked her if she heard anything I just said. Some people. Oh well, she lives 2.5 hours away, and I don't have to see her a lot

Sue
November 11th, 2005, 06:45 AM
Veteran
Quote:
I've had to defend the non-choice to my sister, who had her son circ'd... When we decided to leave Sam intact and let our families know, my sister's reaction was one that surprised me. She said that my ds would now be the family favourite (ridiculous, yes)because all the men on my side are intact. My parents love all 3 grandchildren the same, and her son is actually the first grandchild. She knows this, but her son had all of the attention for a good 7 years before my dd came along.[/b]
Hmmm interesting -- your sister wanted you to circ your son out of her fear that her circ'ed son would be less favored. She is also probaby afraid your son might let it slip out and tell your nephew about the sensations he has that your nephew is missing.

Galatians 5:2: Behold, I, Paul, tell you that if you receive circumcision, Christ will profit you nothing.

Galatians 2:21: I do not set aside the grace of God; for if righteousness comes through the law, then Christ died in vain.
November 11th, 2005, 08:53 AM
Paper-Bag-Princess
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by IrishMommy@Nov 11 2005, 08:45 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
Quote:
I've had to defend the non-choice to my sister, who had her son circ'd... When we decided to leave Sam intact and let our families know, my sister's reaction was one that surprised me. She said that my ds would now be the family favourite (ridiculous, yes)because all the men on my side are intact. My parents love all 3 grandchildren the same, and her son is actually the first grandchild. She knows this, but her son had all of the attention for a good 7 years before my dd came along.
Hmmm interesting -- your sister wanted you to circ your son out of her fear that her circ'ed son would be less favored. She is also probaby afraid your son might let it slip out and tell your nephew about the sensations he has that your nephew is missing.
<div align="right"><{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[/b][/quote][/b][/quote]

You want to know what's funny(not in the literal sense) about that, Irish? We were watching a re-run of Cheers a little while ago, and it was the one where Frasier takes his new-born son to the bar because he didn't want him to be circ'd. My nephew (whom I absolutely adore) asked "What is Circumcision"? My mother, who sometimes speaks before thinking, told him that Sam has something that he doesn't, and that it happened when he was a little baby. My poor nephew was probably more confused after that, and my sister probably had a lot of questions to answer that night. I also thought it weird because my sister (the nurse) got very defensive immediately when I told her that we wouldn't be doing this. I wonder why that is? Things that make you go hmmmmmm........

I love my sister to pieces. She is a great gal but I never thought that she'd ever think that my parents would have a favourite based soley on penile status. She has even said that she was being ridiculous, at least that's a step in the right direction. I know how hard it is to admit to being irrational. I have been pg. three times, afterall
November 11th, 2005, 12:00 PM
Veteran
Quote:
Originally posted by Paper-Bag-Princess+Nov 11 2005, 10:53 AM-->
Quote:
Quote:
<!--QuoteBegin-IrishMommy
Quote:
@Nov 11 2005, 08:45 AM

<div class='quotemain'>I've had to defend the non-choice to my sister, who had her son circ'd... When we decided to leave Sam intact and let our families know, my sister's reaction was one that surprised me. She said that my ds would now be the family favourite (ridiculous, yes)because all the men on my side are intact. My parents love all 3 grandchildren the same, and her son is actually the first grandchild. She knows this, but her son had all of the attention for a good 7 years before my dd came along.
<div align="right"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
[/b][/quote][/b][/quote]

You want to know what's funny(not in the literal sense) about that, Irish? We were watching a re-run of Cheers a little while ago, and it was the one where Frasier takes his new-born son to the bar because he didn't want him to be circ'd. My nephew (whom I absolutely adore) asked "What is Circumcision"? My mother, who sometimes speaks before thinking, told him that Sam has something that he doesn't, and that it happened when he was a little baby. My poor nephew was probably more confused after that, and my sister probably had a lot of questions to answer that night. I also thought it weird because my sister (the nurse) got very defensive immediately when I told her that we wouldn't be doing this. I wonder why that is? Things that make you go hmmmmmm........

I love my sister to pieces. She is a great gal but I never thought that she'd ever think that my parents would have a favourite based soley on penile status. She has even said that she was being ridiculous, at least that's a step in the right direction. I know how hard it is to admit to being irrational. I have been pg. three times, afterall
<div align="right"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
[/b][/quote]

I saw that episode of Cheers. Unsurprisingly they focused on the parents feelings and the baby was little more than a prop. Kind of like real life! but Lilith's trauma is what I would expect from maternal instincts.

I think your sister would have felt justified in her decision if you had circed your son. Since you didn't - i think she felt the wind come out of her sails a bit. Not trying to put your sister down or anything -- but just the act of circumcision itself is what is the irrational part. IMO!

December 2nd, 2005, 05:12 PM
Mega Super Mommy
To tell you the truth I don't even know if my in-laws know that our boys are intact... We do things different in our family like eat organic foods, homeschool and other things and we really don't care what other people think about that, it is our family and our lives and we know what is best for us!

#1 Maya (10)
#2 Emma (9)
#3 Joseph (7)
#4 Jesse (6)
#5 Caleb our son in heaven.
#6 Rebekah (3)
#7 Due December 5th
December 3rd, 2005, 12:57 AM
Sunflower_Mommy2003's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
To tell you the truth I don't even know if my in-laws know that our boys are intact... We do things different in our family like eat organic foods, homeschool and other things and we really don't care what other people think about that, it is our family and our lives and we know what is best for us![/b]
Kudos to you for your confidence and conscientious parenting!

Jen

Click--->Questioning Circumcision?<---Click

Intact Care Board</div>
December 3rd, 2005, 12:22 PM
ryansmama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I've never heard a negative comment. But, then, my family does NOT circumcise. (The only cut male in our family is my brother's step -son. My SIL says that she wouldn't do that NOW, after being with my brother. They only have girls together, though). My in-laws did circumcise their boys, but they haven't ever said anything about us not doing it to our sons. It just hasn't ever been mentioned. It just seems ridiculous to me that anyone would ENCOURAGE a parent to actually have a healthy part of their baby's body CUT OFF!

<span style="color:#CC0000">Marian Wright Edelman

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search