My question of the day....

Forum: Children's Health

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children's Health LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 22nd, 2005, 08:00 AM
bellebutton's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hello everyone. I am popping in from another board and have a question..I will be having a boy in Feburary and I plan on getting him cirr. I have 2 girls so this is going to be BRAND new for me. I am very worried. Is the care afterwards hard?? I mean is there a lot that you have to do? Just need some info. Thanks

November 22nd, 2005, 12:45 PM
~Cupcake~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hello! Glad you popped in! I was feeling the same way as I had a daughter and am very new to little boys all together being that I grew up in a family of three girls! LOL The aftercare was simple and just involved putting on vaseline daily to prevent his penis from sticking to the diaper. Some doctors suggest using gauze as well (mine did) so we just squeezed some vaseline on it and then put a tiny gauze over it. We did this for about 10 days I believe. It did not take very long to heal.

November 22nd, 2005, 06:01 PM
Mom2DavidandAaron's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I second what Christa said. Our mohel explained to us what to do, so I was a littl emore at east. Ask your doctor for specific instructions.
I also put some vaseline in a gauze and just placed it over the area every diaper change. Now our mohel (with approval from the doctor) recommended alternating gauzes with vaseline and with lidocaine gel. But that's something your doctor has to agree on. I only did that for three days and then used only vaseline.
Our doctor also gave us Tylenol in case David looked uncomfortable, but we never had to use it. You'll be amazed at how quickly it heals.

Sharon
November 23rd, 2005, 04:27 PM
Platinum Supermommy
We were told to put a big glob of polysporin on the head of it for 4 days afterwards at each diaper change. The dr said when the gauze fell off the didn't need to put anymore on (it fell of with one of the first diaper changes). Within the week it was totally fine.
December 6th, 2005, 11:13 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I would rank the care the same as an unbilicord. If you keep vaseline on it, it will be fine. I will tell you though, you should see what it looks like after it is done. I had my son done, and didn't know what to expect. He came back to me sound asleep. As soon as I changed his diaper, I cried. It looked terrible. It wasn't that bad, but if you don't know what to expect, it can be shocking.
December 29th, 2005, 01:57 PM
Sassy5d's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi Bellebutton!!

Congrats on the pregnancy!!! Boys are SO much fun (and I'll tell ya, the stories you hear about boys being easier.. whelp, so far.. they're right on the money..)

Do your reading.. Start making a paper list of questions that you have.. so you can ask.. For starters.. You need to know who will be performing the circ..(Some OB's do it, some peds do it, and of course, you can always use a Mohel-even if you're not jewish)

Then you'll want to ask what pain relief will be implimented...

Then you'll want to ask what method/equiptment will be used to perform it..(there are several.. the Gomco clamp and the plastibell are rather common... but the plastibell stays on until it falls off)

Aftercare is simple... Vaseline or aquaphor.. the vaseline keeps urine off the glans... and it heals really fast (in a matter of DAYS-so no.. your sons penis will not be raw and exposed to urine for weeks/months)

Any other questions.. feel free to ask away here..

Becky

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search