ketoacidosis? When to go to the ER

Forum: Children's Health

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children's Health LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 7th, 2005, 08:43 PM
fka teresarunningmommy
We've given 130+ units of insulin today (his normal insulin is 60-80 units per day). Nasty stomach bug in our house. I am starting to freak though. Austin has had ketones before and usually I can get them down by myself. I gave him 23 units at 9:45 and now at 10:30 he still has large ketones and a 450+ blood sugar. I just gave him another 15 units. He's had ketones for the past 3 or 4 hours. He looked like he was starting to feel better around dinner time that's why I decided to stop worrying, but now the test strip is almost black. If the ketones aren't down in the next hour I guess we're heading up to the ER. I was trying to avoid it as it is really late. I'll keep you posted.

Teresa

Check out my running blog - Wannabe Running Mama
December 8th, 2005, 08:33 AM
fka teresarunningmommy
Well, we did wind up in the hospital - definitely DKA. I'm at the hospital now. Hopefully, they will be discharging him later this morning. I tell you, that was really scary. I gave him 50 units of insulin between 9:45pm and midnight last night. I couldn't get his blood sugars to drop and his ketone strip was just black and would not budge. His numbers are 116 now and he looks 100 times better. As long as he holds down breakfast and there is no ketones we should be able to go home. I hate this darn disease!

Teresa

December 8th, 2005, 10:22 AM
Regular
I'm sorry to hear about your trip to the hospital. They are the worst. I hope he feels better soon and that those ketones go away.
December 8th, 2005, 04:29 PM
fka teresarunningmommy
Quote:
I'm sorry to hear about your trip to the hospital. They are the worst. I hope he feels better soon and that those ketones go away.[/b]

Thanks, it looks like he'll be staying another night. He is vomitting again and the ketones are back and his blood sugars are spiking up again. Dh is with him now. I hate this disease!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Teresa

December 8th, 2005, 07:48 PM
fka teresarunningmommy
Please keep Austin in your prayers as he is still really sick. They disconnected his pump and set him up on an insulin drip through his IV now. Dh said they had mentioned moving him to the ICU earlier, but now they don't think they'll need to. I am really worried about my little guy. Dh is keeping a shift up there tonight as I am really tired from being up there all night. I am about to head to bed. He said he'd call me if he got any worse.

Teresa

December 8th, 2005, 10:03 PM
kimnels2003's Avatar Super Mommy
Theresa--

You have my hugs and prayers. I know how you feel, and it is the worst. Vomiting and ketones is my absolute worst fear....I think I dislike them more than lows. I hope everyone is feeling better soon. Take care of yourself too.

kim

"You cannot direct the wind, but you can adjust the sails."--Reverend Bernice A. King
December 9th, 2005, 07:09 AM
1shortmomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to 1shortmomma Send a message via MSN to 1shortmomma Send a message via Yahoo to 1shortmomma

Sorry to hear that Austin is not feeling well. He will be in my thoughts and prayers. I hope that he is able to make a speedy recovery and come home soon.

December 9th, 2005, 03:23 PM
Jenneve's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I hope he feels better and is able to come home soon.
Jared 8/25/01
Justin 10/18/02

My blogs...
Fishers of Men *UPDATED 8/7/09*
Truely Scrumptious Cakes *UPDATED 7/28/09*

December 10th, 2005, 09:10 AM
Send a message via AIM to 1shortmomma Send a message via MSN to 1shortmomma Send a message via Yahoo to 1shortmomma
Teresa -

I am just checking in to see how Austin is doing. Is he still in the hospital? Or was he able to go home?
I am keeping him and your family in my thoughts and prayers.

December 10th, 2005, 02:09 PM
fka teresarunningmommy
We were just discharged today! I am so glad to be home. He is too. I don't care to do this again any time soon. I am about to go take a nap because I am just really tired now, lol.

Teresa

December 10th, 2005, 03:32 PM
MissyPrincessEha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hugs girl! Hug that brave boy for me. I am just so sad that this happened. But I am so happy it didn't ruin his Christmas. I hate this mess too girl...I so know how you feel.

December 10th, 2005, 05:09 PM
I'm glad that he is home. I was thinking about him all day! I hope that you are all able to get some rest. I know that can be very stressful and you definitely deserve some rest!!

December 12th, 2005, 04:51 PM
Super Mommy
OMG I am so sorry for what you have been through! It brought back so many memories and I am actually in tears because I know just how you were feeling and going through

I am glad that he is alright now. I too hate this disease.
December 13th, 2005, 11:47 AM
kimnels2003's Avatar Super Mommy
I am so glad he is home and okay.

Kim

"You cannot direct the wind, but you can adjust the sails."--Reverend Bernice A. King

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search