How often do you check overnight blood sugars?

Forum: Children's Health

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children's Health LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 15th, 2005, 07:32 AM
fka teresarunningmommy
We haven't checked them in a while, but while we are adjusting basals again we are checking them. The last 3 nights they have been low at 3 am. I lowered insulin yesterday and his blood sugar was a little higher tonight, but still low. (It was in the 40s now it's in the 60s - 2 to 3 for the Canadian moms.) I will be lowering again tonight and see what happens.

It scares me though because we don't do this but every 4-6 months. When we were first diagnosed nobody ever told us about checking at night. I think the kid went several years without having them checked overnight. I didn't know and nobody told me.

So, how often do you check blood sugars overnight?

Teresa

Check out my running blog - Wannabe Running Mama
December 15th, 2005, 11:44 AM
Regular
to be totally honest, we don't check overnight unless we are adjusting insulin. we are in the middle of a week of testing at 3am now because we just raised his nightly dose of NPH. So i guess i don't do it nearly as much as i should.
December 15th, 2005, 12:35 PM
fka teresarunningmommy
Quote:
to be totally honest, we don't check overnight unless we are adjusting insulin. we are in the middle of a week of testing at 3am now because we just raised his nightly dose of NPH. So i guess i don't do it nearly as much as i should.[/b]

We don't do it unless we are adjusting insulin either. We definitely need some adjusting. My endo has never told us to do it more than that so I am guessing we are fine as is.

Teresa

Check out my running blog - Wannabe Running Mama
December 15th, 2005, 01:06 PM
Regular
right now my 4 year old was just diagonisosed with diabetes about 10 days ago, we are checking sugars every 2-3 hours event threw the night
dd~ Cassidy
ds~ Elijah
December 15th, 2005, 06:37 PM
1shortmomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to 1shortmomma Send a message via MSN to 1shortmomma Send a message via Yahoo to 1shortmomma
My Dr was having me check during the night but I didn't always do it. Now that I am getting up about 10 times a night to go to the bathroom (thanks to a baby jumping on my bladder) I have been checking at night. After the baby is born I will probably check at night when I am up feeding her...but then when she is sleeping through the night I will not get up to check!!

December 16th, 2005, 12:59 PM
Veteran
Quote:
right now my 4 year old was just diagonisosed with diabetes about 10 days ago, we are checking sugars every 2-3 hours event threw the night[/b]

Sorry to hear about your child...the beginning times are sooo overwhelming...we do make it thru trust me... When my ds was diagnosed 6/6/05 we checked thru the night for the first 2 mos os his diagnosis...my dh & I took turns. There were times that we were able to test him w/o him waking up at all, which was nice & especially if he wasn't low & could let him keep on sleeping, but to have to wake him up & give cbs just honestly sucked....my prayers are w/ you & all of the ladies here to remain strong moms & wives to make it thru this diabetic journey
December 16th, 2005, 06:19 PM
kimnels2003's Avatar Super Mommy
Hang in there Laura76!! We check our daughter usually each night at midnight(dh is a night owl, so tests before he goes to bed). Depending on how I'm feeling about our control, I test more or less on the overnights. Lately, I have been letting go a little bit.

Kim

"You cannot direct the wind, but you can adjust the sails."--Reverend Bernice A. King
December 16th, 2005, 08:25 PM
MissyPrincessEha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yes, we have always tested at night. I am less stressed if I do...so it works for me.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search