Leg numbness

Forum: Children's Health

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children's Health LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 26th, 2005, 10:44 AM
Veteran
Happy Holidays to all & hope that everyone had happy times w/ their family & friends.

I have a question that we have experienced 2x over the last couple of days. My endo office is closed b/c of holidays until Wed. so I thought I would turn to evryone here to see your thoughts.

My ds has been experiencing numbness in his legs. He says it's a different feeling when he is low & not the same. We have checked his bs when this happens & it turns out he is high & not low...we haven't known what to do for him except drink water & stay off his feet. Has anyone experienced this?...oh also sometimes at night after he gets his Lantus he complains that his butt gets numb....

Everyone is sooo right about this disease it's a tough one on our poor children as well as us trying to do everything the best way we know how. We have only been diagnosed for 6 mos & sometimes it feels like we have been doing this all our lives & then sometimes it feels as if it was just yesterday we were diagnosed.

Thanks to all for reading & your input....

Have a great day
Lisa
December 26th, 2005, 12:16 PM
fka teresarunningmommy
Eek, sorry I have no advice on this one. I don't think we've had this problem before. I am not sure what to tell you. Hopefully someone else here will have something they can tell you about it.

Teresa

Check out my running blog - Wannabe Running Mama
December 26th, 2005, 12:47 PM
Veteran
Quote:
Eek, sorry I have no advice on this one. I don't think we've had this problem before. I am not sure what to tell you. Hopefully someone else here will have something they can tell you about it.

Teresa[/b]

I have been doing some research on this & have come across Diabetic Neuropathyto describe his symptoms. As I am no doctor, not too sure if I'm being a overreactive mom (per hubby). I just want to take care of my son to the best that I can & not having answers to his ailments,just drives me crazy..ugh..
December 26th, 2005, 02:31 PM
kimnels2003's Avatar Super Mommy
I don't think this is Diabetic Neuropathy. I think that it takes years of poor control to get to that. In our house...Danielle is especially upset when she gets that "pins and needles" feeling when your foot falls asleep from sitting on it. There is no consoling her when this happens.

Just my two cents We have to remember not EVERYTHING is related to diabetes....it just seems that way!

Kim

"You cannot direct the wind, but you can adjust the sails."--Reverend Bernice A. King
January 1st, 2006, 11:40 AM
MissyPrincessEha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have never heard of that either nor have we experienced it. Did you ever talk to your endo? And I thank Kim...she always has her head on keeps up from losing our minds. LOL!

January 6th, 2006, 04:03 PM
1shortmomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to 1shortmomma Send a message via MSN to 1shortmomma Send a message via Yahoo to 1shortmomma
I get that sometimes and was told by my Dr that it is due to poor circulation which is a result of the diabetes. I find it happens most often if I have been sitting or standing for a long period of time. I would mention it to his endo just so that they can rule out other things. Sorry that my post is a little late....I haven't been on in awhile. HTH.

January 13th, 2006, 09:05 AM
Veteran
Quote:
I get that sometimes and was told by my Dr that it is due to poor circulation which is a result of the diabetes. I find it happens most often if I have been sitting or standing for a long period of time. I would mention it to his endo just so that they can rule out other things. Sorry that my post is a little late....I haven't been on in awhile. HTH.[/b]

Hello All,

I have also been missing in action...it's amazing how our days & nights get soo busy...

We have our endo appt. on the 17th...so we will be discussing the numbness. Also, we have been a little more concerned about ds b/c his coloring doesn't look very well & he looks much thinner than he used to, turns out he weighs 69lbs vs in Oct (last endo appt) he weighed 75 lbs. Some of the people that are close to us have mentioned the same concerns that my dh & I have discussed together. So, we shall see next week. Say a little extra prayer for us as well as all of you here, bc we can all use them

Lisa
January 13th, 2006, 05:00 PM
kimnels2003's Avatar Super Mommy
Hello All,

I have also been missing in action...it's amazing how our days & nights get soo busy...

We have our endo appt. on the 17th...so we will be discussing the numbness. Also, we have been a little more concerned about ds b/c his coloring doesn't look very well & he looks much thinner than he used to, turns out he weighs 69lbs vs in Oct (last endo appt) he weighed 75 lbs. Some of the people that are close to us have mentioned the same concerns that my dh & I have discussed together. So, we shall see next week. Say a little extra prayer for us as well as all of you here, bc we can all use them

Lisa
[/quote]

When you see the endo, I would ask about celiac disease....this would cause food to not be absorbed properly. It is common in kids with type 1. Danielle tested positive, but doesn't really have any symptoms, so we are choosing to ignore at this point.

take care--

Kim

"You cannot direct the wind, but you can adjust the sails."--Reverend Bernice A. King

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search