Getting so frustrated!

Forum: Children's Health

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children's Health LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 10th, 2006, 10:54 AM
Jenneve's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Jack has been having a ton of highs lately (with no ketones). His morning readings are always great. But by lunch time he's going through the roof and stays high the rest of the day. I've been thinking that his insulin needs to be adjusted, but we just had an appointment last week and they told us that everything looks great and nothing needs changing. Then they tell us that "At his age we don't really get too concerned about the highs. It's the lows that we worry most about." Ok, I can understand being concerned about the lows. But it was the highs that got us here in the first place! How can that many highs be ok?? It seems to me, that if he's having so many highs then something's not working! Oh, and to top it all off, we've still not seen the endo. Jack was diagnosed in November. We saw the endo on call TWICE the whole time we were in the hospital: when we first got there, and just before we left. The rest of the time we were there, we only talked to the nurses. Since then, we've had 2 appointments and we saw the nurse and nurse practitioner. We don't see the endo until APRIL! I'm just about ready to go off on someone!!!
Thanks for letting me vent. I just had to get that all out.

Jenn
Jack 6 dx'd 11/11/05
Jared 4
Justin 3
Jared 8/25/01
Justin 10/18/02

My blogs...
Fishers of Men *UPDATED 8/7/09*
Truely Scrumptious Cakes *UPDATED 7/28/09*

January 10th, 2006, 11:14 AM
fka teresarunningmommy
Ok, couple of questions for you. How high are the numbers you are getting? It depends on how high high is to you what my suggestions would be. For kids, they do let them run considerably higher than they will for adults because the risk of running low is so great and low blood sugars are definitely more concerning than highs.

Also, I think it is fairly common to be dealing predominately with nurses and not the endo him/herself. I know I am at the point now where I would sooner adjust myself than get help because I know Austin best and I have been doing this a long time. Sometimes though, my endo can give us just a little more info to help me get in the right direction.

Can you give us an idea of the numbers you are getting? What time and how many days?

Teresa

Check out my running blog - Wannabe Running Mama
January 10th, 2006, 04:43 PM
MissyPrincessEha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yes, I am wondering what those numbers are as well.

I know that my Eli will run high with colds and such. Once everyone around us was sick and he didn't get it...but ran high sugars for a few days then evened out again. I think he was fighting the bug and never showed any symptoms but his blood sugars showed us he was fighting it. How long as your child's sugars been high again? How many days?

I keep Eli between 80-180. It used to be 80-200. You are going to have some highs and your baby will be okay. HUGS!

January 11th, 2006, 01:21 PM
I understand that he will have highs. He levels have been like a roller coaster since we started all this. But lately he's just been having alot more highs than usual. His range is supposed to be 80-180. For the past 2 weeks (this being the third), he's been staying in the upper 200's--upper 300's at both lunch and dinner with only a couple in range. He's had 3 days in a row of upper 200's at lunch and 5 days in a row ranging from 280--400 at dinner! His morning bs before breakfast is always perfect.

I just called the clinic and talked to the nurse about it. And she told me to go ahead and adjust both the humalog and the NPH. I felt like they needed to be changed, but since this is still pretty new to me, I wasn't sure how much to change it. Hopefully this will somewhat resolve the highs and we'll start seeing some more levels in range.

Jenn
Jack 6 dx'd 11/17/05
Jared 4
Justin 3
Jared 8/25/01
Justin 10/18/02

My blogs...

January 12th, 2006, 12:13 PM
MissyPrincessEha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Update us soon...on how the new adjustments are working.

Ya know, we are still in the honeymoon phase. Eli still makes some insulin on his own. And this causes many sugars that we just can't explain. Sounds like your son makes or uses his sugar in sleep or early and then not so much in the later part of the day.

January 12th, 2006, 07:39 PM
fka teresarunningmommy
Ok, definitely can see a need to adjust with those numbers. Usually it's not good to adjust until you've seen a pattern over 4 or 5 days. I don't adjust even with really high numbers unless we see a definite pattern because my fear of Austin bottoming out. It's been a while since we did NPH. I had a hard time with it.

Let us know how he does with the adjusting. For us when we have to adjust sometimes we'll have to go up 2 or 3 times to get the right dosage.

Teresa

Check out my running blog - Wannabe Running Mama
January 14th, 2006, 08:25 AM
Well, the past 2 days (since the adjustment) he's had perfect numbers.

Jenn
Jack 6 dx'd 11/17/05
Jared 4
Justin 3
Jared 8/25/01
Justin 10/18/02

My blogs...

January 14th, 2006, 02:33 PM
1shortmomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to 1shortmomma Send a message via MSN to 1shortmomma Send a message via Yahoo to 1shortmomma
Jumping in a little late...haven't been on much getting ready for baby!!
I'm glad that his numbers have been better of the past couple days. I hope that they stay where they should since the adjustment!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search