What type of insulin do you use?

Forum: Children's Health

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children's Health LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 18th, 2006, 05:26 PM
fka teresarunningmommy
What type of insulin do you use? Wondering what type you are using now and what type you have used in the past and what your preference is.

Teresa

Check out my running blog - Wannabe Running Mama
January 18th, 2006, 05:40 PM
fka teresarunningmommy
We use only Humalog with the pump now. We have used NPH, Ultra Lente, Humalin Regular, and Lantus in the past. I did not like NPH at all. Lantus was ok, but if we had to go back to shots I think I would pick Ultra Lente for long acting and Humalog for short acting.

Teresa

January 18th, 2006, 08:07 PM
Mom2Type1
We use Novolog in a flex pen with meals, and Lantus through a syringe at bedtime. I believe we used Novolog when we pumped as well.

I sure do miss pumping. I'll be glad when April gets here. Hopefully the endo will agree to pumping again.
January 19th, 2006, 10:40 AM
kimnels2003's Avatar Super Mommy
We use novolog in Danielle's pump. Before that we used Lantus and novolog with a pen for meals. Before that we used NPH and humalog. NPH was the worst...at least for us, because Danielle was small and would refuse to eat. Made life very stressful! Lantus worked ok--gave us flexibility with food--but never seemed to last the 24 hours. We had good control with it...just many, many shots!! Pumping is our preferred method of getting insulin.

Kim

"You cannot direct the wind, but you can adjust the sails."--Reverend Bernice A. King
January 19th, 2006, 02:22 PM
Regular
Send a message via Yahoo to cpcrush
Quote:
What type of insulin do you use? Wondering what type you are using now and what type you have used in the past and what your preference is.

Teresa[/b]

We use Novolog in the Pen and Lantus at night.
We used NPH and humalog. They change us when C got the stomache flu and ended up in the ER twice, because he couldn't hold and food down.
Nicole
January 25th, 2006, 08:41 AM
Jenneve's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We use Humalog and NPH. That's what he was given in the hospital. I didn't realize we could choose. We've just been going along with what we were told in the hospital. I also don't know anything about all the different kinds of insulin or ways to get it. This is still all so new to me. I need to do some reading up on stuff. What do you all suggest, as far as reading info?
Jared 8/25/01
Justin 10/18/02

My blogs...
Fishers of Men *UPDATED 8/7/09*
Truely Scrumptious Cakes *UPDATED 7/28/09*

January 25th, 2006, 08:58 AM
Quote:

Teresa[/b]
We use Lantus and Novalog/NPH in the morning and just recently omitted Dylan's Novalog at dinnertime. It has been working very well for him...his numbers have been pretty good. He has no interest in the pump yet and says he never will. Sounds like a 9 year old! I figure he will want to get hooked up in the next few years..it is up to him and I just want him to be comfortable with his decisions.
January 25th, 2006, 12:45 PM
fka teresarunningmommy
Quote:
Quote:

Teresa[/b]
We use Lantus and Novalog/NPH in the morning and just recently omitted Dylan's Novalog at dinnertime. It has been working very well for him...his numbers have been pretty good. He has no interest in the pump yet and says he never will. Sounds like a 9 year old! I figure he will want to get hooked up in the next few years..it is up to him and I just want him to be comfortable with his decisions.
[/b]

Austin was 11 before we switched to a pump. He wasn't interested in it either. Now he likes it better. Of course he still complains about it too, but he is 13 now and he complains about everything now!

Teresa

January 25th, 2006, 03:37 PM
1shortmomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to 1shortmomma Send a message via MSN to 1shortmomma Send a message via Yahoo to 1shortmomma
I use Novalog pen and lantus. I have switched many many times and this seems to work best.

January 25th, 2006, 09:30 PM
cloudydaze's Avatar Regular
We use Humalog and Humilin N mixture except for the dinner shot which is only the Humalog.
TTC #3

</div>
January 26th, 2006, 10:08 AM
kimnels2003's Avatar Super Mommy
Here is a link that will show the different kinds of insulins and what they do. The more information you have, the better you will be able to manage your childs diabetes. We tried to convice my daughter for a long time about the pump. After my son spent time at diabetes family camp with some kids on the pump(he was 9 then) HE told her, "Really Danielle, this is simple math. 6 or 7 shots a day times 3 days versus the pump which is one shot in 3 days."

http://www.childrenwithdiabetes.com/d_0n_110.htm

Hope this helps--

Kim

"You cannot direct the wind, but you can adjust the sails."--Reverend Bernice A. King

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search