Something has got to change!

Forum: Children's Health

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children's Health LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 31st, 2006, 12:47 PM
Jenneve's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Lunch time at school is becoming a nightmare! Right now, Jack is using Humalog and NPH twice a day--breakfast & dinner--so he won't have to get a shot at school. Breakfast & dinner, he eats what he wants and we just count the carbs and adjust the Humalog. Lunch, he has to have 60g carbs. It's not too much food for him, but he's bad about not wanting to eat. He'd rather talk or play. He ends up taking way too long to finish his lunch. Everyone finishes a good 10-15 minutes before him, and he either has to sit in the cafeteria with the 2nd graders (he's in 1st) or finish his lunch on the playground. It's getting rediculous! I'm just wondering if there is something different we could do. Change up the insulin or something so he can have lunch the same as breakfast & dinner? If we did that, he would need a shot at school, I'm sure, but at this point I think it would be better than fighting him to finish all his lunch all the time. It has become a constant battle. I plan on talking to the endo about it, but our appointment isn't until April! I'm not going to change anything until then, but I need some advice on how to approach the situation with the endo. Or suggestions to discuss at the appointment?
I'm getting really frustrated with this whole thing. I just want things to go back to normal, before diagnosis. I hate this!
Jared 8/25/01
Justin 10/18/02

My blogs...
Fishers of Men *UPDATED 8/7/09*
Truely Scrumptious Cakes *UPDATED 7/28/09*

January 31st, 2006, 04:55 PM
Quote:
Lunch time at school is becoming a nightmare! Right now, Jack is using Humalog and NPH twice a day--breakfast & dinner--so he won't have to get a shot at school. Breakfast & dinner, he eats what he wants and we just count the carbs and adjust the Humalog. Lunch, he has to have 60g carbs. It's not too much food for him, but he's bad about not wanting to eat. He'd rather talk or play. He ends up taking way too long to finish his lunch. Everyone finishes a good 10-15 minutes before him, and he either has to sit in the cafeteria with the 2nd graders (he's in 1st) or finish his lunch on the playground. It's getting rediculous! I'm just wondering if there is something different we could do. Change up the insulin or something so he can have lunch the same as breakfast & dinner? If we did that, he would need a shot at school, I'm sure, but at this point I think it would be better than fighting him to finish all his lunch all the time. It has become a constant battle. I plan on talking to the endo about it, but our appointment isn't until April! I'm not going to change anything until then, but I need some advice on how to approach the situation with the endo. Or suggestions to discuss at the appointment?
I'm getting really frustrated with this whole thing. I just want things to go back to normal, before diagnosis. I hate this![/b]
Hi...Dylan is 9 and is on Lantus(to last through the whole day), NPH (to cover his lunch carbs only) and novalog to cover his breakfast carbs. He gets his nph and novalog together and his lantus separate. The nph is a medium acting insulin, which means it will cover his lunch in a few hours and that is about it. Dylan does not get any insulin either at lunch and his nph works great. However, the amount he gets depends on his carbs and we increase or decrease depending on how his numbers are for the week/day. We go over his lunch menu everyday and Dylan decides what he will eat at the school. We have a menu and carb guide both and can figure out the days lunch at home. If Dylan did not want to eat his 60-75 carbs at lunch I would decrease his nph and figure he will decide to eat more if and when he finally got hungry enough throughout the week. Dylan probably scarfs his food at school so he can go play, but he eats enough so he is not hungry and not low later on. This seems to work very well for us right now. Maybe you could decrease his carbs at lunch he is required to eat and decrease his nph as well(so he does not go low) and/or increase one of his snacks (Dylan gets a snack in the middle of the morning and after school) depending on what time he gets his snacks. If he is not wanting to eat, then maybe he just needs a bit less food at lunchtime. Dylan does not get any shots other than his am ones right now. He was going too low at bedtime and the next morning. Go figure! It is always a guessing game. Dylan has been diagnosed one year this Feb 5..Sunday. We have come a long way this past year...but I too would love to go back to before diabetes-in a heartbeat!!! I hope this helps some...
January 31st, 2006, 05:17 PM
fka teresarunningmommy
Quote:
Hi...Dylan is 9 and is on Lantus(to last through the whole day), NPH (to cover his lunch carbs only) and novalog to cover his breakfast carbs. He gets his nph and novalog together and his lantus separate. The nph is a medium acting insulin, which means it will cover his lunch in a few hours and that is about it. Dylan does not get any insulin either at lunch and his nph works great. However, the amount he gets depends on his carbs and we increase or decrease depending on how his numbers are for the week/day. We go over his lunch menu everyday and Dylan decides what he will eat at the school. We have a menu and carb guide both and can figure out the days lunch at home. If Dylan did not want to eat his 60-75 carbs at lunch I would decrease his nph and figure he will decide to eat more if and when he finally got hungry enough throughout the week. Dylan probably scarfs his food at school so he can go play, but he eats enough so he is not hungry and not low later on. This seems to work very well for us right now. Maybe you could decrease his carbs at lunch he is required to eat and decrease his nph as well(so he does not go low) and/or increase one of his snacks (Dylan gets a snack in the middle of the morning and after school) depending on what time he gets his snacks. If he is not wanting to eat, then maybe he just needs a bit less food at lunchtime. Dylan does not get any shots other than his am ones right now. He was going too low at bedtime and the next morning. Go figure! It is always a guessing game. Dylan has been diagnosed one year this Feb 5..Sunday. We have come a long way this past year...but I too would love to go back to before diabetes-in a heartbeat!!! I hope this helps some... [/b]

Tina, that's interesting I didn't know you could give Lantus and NPH at the same time. Learn something new every day. I am glad this is working for you.

Quote:
I'm getting really frustrated with this whole thing. I just want things to go back to normal, before diagnosis. I hate this![/b]

Hmm, could you try giving him a juice box or something like that so he didn't have to "eat" so much to get in the sixty carbs. Is he not hungry? If he's not hungry, then I'd try that.

Another thought is this, perhaps the reason he's not getting his lunch done is because they are sending him to check his blood sugar while everyone else is headed for lunch. This was our problem. By the time he'd get to the cafeteria all the other kids were already eating. If this is the problem, ask if he can leave 15 minutes early to check his blood sugar so he has time to eat with the rest of the class.

Teresa

Check out my running blog - Wannabe Running Mama
February 1st, 2006, 04:31 AM
Jenneve's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Hi...Dylan is 9 and is on Lantus(to last through the whole day), NPH (to cover his lunch carbs only) and novalog to cover his breakfast carbs. He gets his nph and novalog together and his lantus separate. The nph is a medium acting insulin, which means it will cover his lunch in a few hours and that is about it. Dylan does not get any insulin either at lunch and his nph works great. However, the amount he gets depends on his carbs and we increase or decrease depending on how his numbers are for the week/day. We go over his lunch menu everyday and Dylan decides what he will eat at the school. We have a menu and carb guide both and can figure out the days lunch at home. If Dylan did not want to eat his 60-75 carbs at lunch I would decrease his nph and figure he will decide to eat more if and when he finally got hungry enough throughout the week. Dylan probably scarfs his food at school so he can go play, but he eats enough so he is not hungry and not low later on. This seems to work very well for us right now. Maybe you could decrease his carbs at lunch he is required to eat and decrease his nph as well(so he does not go low) and/or increase one of his snacks (Dylan gets a snack in the middle of the morning and after school) depending on what time he gets his snacks. If he is not wanting to eat, then maybe he just needs a bit less food at lunchtime. Dylan does not get any shots other than his am ones right now. He was going too low at bedtime and the next morning. Go figure! It is always a guessing game. Dylan has been diagnosed one year this Feb 5..Sunday. We have come a long way this past year...but I too would love to go back to before diabetes-in a heartbeat!!! I hope this helps some... [/b]
Maybe it's just me being so new to diabetes, but that sounds kinda confusing. Lots of figuring. Right now, Jack is getting NPH in the am to cover lunch, and NPH in the pm to last through the night. Then he's getting Humalog in the am for his breakfast carbs and again in the pm for his dinner carbs. We had to adjust his am NPH and Humalog a couple weeks ago, but now his blood sugars are under great control. What we're doing now is working great as far as control. But it's just such a battle to get him to eat all of his lunch. We know he has to have it because he's already had the insulin. How do you know how much to adjust the NPH before he eats?

Quote:
Hmm, could you try giving him a juice box or something like that so he didn't have to "eat" so much to get in the sixty carbs. Is he not hungry? If he's not hungry, then I'd try that.

Another thought is this, perhaps the reason he's not getting his lunch done is because they are sending him to check his blood sugar while everyone else is headed for lunch. This was our problem. By the time he'd get to the cafeteria all the other kids were already eating. If this is the problem, ask if he can leave 15 minutes early to check his blood sugar so he has time to eat with the rest of the class.

Teresa[/b]
I hadn't thought about giving him juice so he wouldn't have to eat as much. I'm not sure if it would work for him, but it's definitely something to consider. I don't think it's that he's not hungry, as much as it is he's just so slow! We have the slowness issue in other areas as well. He'd just rather goof off than do what he needs to do and just get it done. He's always the first one to sit down in the cafeteria. Always. On my request in the beginning, his teacher sends him to have his blood sugar checked 10-15 minutes early. And he's still always last. There's no reason for it to take him as long as it does. He just spends way too much time playing around, and not eating.
Thank you both for the suggestions. Certainly some things to think about.
Jared 8/25/01
Justin 10/18/02

My blogs...
Fishers of Men *UPDATED 8/7/09*
Truely Scrumptious Cakes *UPDATED 7/28/09*

February 1st, 2006, 06:00 PM
kimnels2003's Avatar Super Mommy
How does what he is eating for lunch compare to what the other kids are having? If it is like our school....the other kids are basically eating pure sugar for lunch! So maybe his lunch is not exciting, or he is embarassed that he has this "boring" food. I know Danielle likes salami at home...but will not take it to school, because someone said something once that it smelled. Another family I know had trouble with their daughter throwing away her tuna fish sandwiches, even though she loves them. Someone said something about her eating tuna...and she was self conscious & then was going low every afternoon. I agree with Teresa as far as giving juice or something with higher carbs so he will get them in....fruit chews might be a good choice too. Or maybe 1--full sugar cookie, like an oreo or something he likes. My daughter will ALWAYS eat those.

Kim

"You cannot direct the wind, but you can adjust the sails."--Reverend Bernice A. King

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search