Big bad mom

Forum: Children's Health

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children's Health LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 1st, 2006, 11:08 AM
Veteran
My hubby & I have been a great team handling our diabetes world. However, lately it seems as if he lets our son slide here & cheat there & then guess what? We have 300, 400 500 BS. We know those kind of #s are not good. He wants our son to really feel like he's living a normal life (as we keep telling Adam). After our last endo appt. w/ a 8.7 A1c. I told my dh that we will determine how long our son lives based on how we take care of him now...this is hard for me... I am the one that has to keep everyone on task & stick to the 150 normal BS that he needs to be & then the boys in my life go & do what they want to do..ugh...

Last night, we had gone out to eat & forgot our carb book & had to guess on many carbs he was eating for his novolog..well guess what we messed up b/c at bedtime he was 410. Adam became angry b/c he hates his diabetes & he hates these "stupid" numbers. I tried to tell him that they are just numbers & let mom & dad worry about the numbers & then his response was "easy for you to say"..it just breaks my heart to try & be the the strong one in our family but I have to for my son.

This morning for breakfast, he seemed a little down ( he's the type of boy that is always smiling) & i tried to cheer him up & then he woke up at 212 BS, which put him in a more grumpier mood. I tried to find out his thoughts, but he wouldn't want anything to do w/ me. I didn't want him to leave for school all day w/ his feelings kept in & then I lost it...i started crying (which I NEVER let him see me b/c I'm always the strong one). I just gave him a huge hug & told him "we will get thru this together & that I will always love him." His response was that " I know you love me & i love you too". That seemed to help us both.

Are there certain things that anyone says to their dear children about diabetes to help them get thru any sadness or anger emotions? It has only been 7 months for us & I feel like I have ran out responses to ease his pain.

I just feel that I am the big bad wolf "Mom" when it comes to what, when he eats, his numbers & as Teresa says" the nagging"...i hate it too...

Thanks for reading
Lisa
February 5th, 2006, 09:11 AM
fka teresarunningmommy
((((Hugs))))), I know how you feel. My sister gave me some great advice once. I was really upset because Austin always sees me as the meany that nags him and won't let him eat whatever he wants. She says to me would you rather him be 22 years old mad at you for nagging and staying on his case about his blood sugars or be 22 and hate you forever for not making him managing his diabetes and him being blind and on dialysis. That is something I think about now every time I am having a really bad day.

Keep up the good work! You are a great mom!

Teresa

Check out my running blog - Wannabe Running Mama
February 6th, 2006, 10:56 AM
Veteran
Quote:
((((Hugs))))), I know how you feel. My sister gave me some great advice once. I was really upset because Austin always sees me as the meany that nags him and won't let him eat whatever he wants. She says to me would you rather him be 22 years old mad at you for nagging and staying on his case about his blood sugars or be 22 and hate you forever for not making him managing his diabetes and him being blind and on dialysis. That is something I think about now every time I am having a really bad day.

Keep up the good work! You are a great mom!

Teresa[/b]

Thank you..Thank You...It truly makes sense....You are always a wealth of wisdom...My dh takes a much more lax approach to the cbs eaten & so forth, which contributed to a 8.7 A1c vs 7.0 in Oct. I told him " The way we take care of Adam now will determine how long of a life he will have, which is why we have to stay on top of everything for our ds, not b/c he wants to be the good guy"
February 6th, 2006, 11:48 AM
Regular
i know all to well how it feels to be the bad mom, Colby gets so mad sometimes when he can't have something, he cries and throws fits and i just have to be strong and tell him i'm doing it because i love him. But you know at these young ages they don't understand the long term complications, they only feel like they are being mistreated. It hurts. There was a time when we let him splurge every now and then but after the 8.4 a1c at our last appointment, i'm trying to be so strict so we will have good numbers. Sometimes i get so frustrated at the numbers myself though, they seem to go crazy every once in a while with no explanation. Who knew that our lives would revolve around numbers?
February 15th, 2006, 09:49 AM
Regular
It is so hard to be the bad guy! Yesterday I went to the store to get groceries and grabbed a couple of 2 liters for Brianna. I thought that I had gotten her Diet rootbeer(her favorite). So I served dinner and poured her rootbeer. I then turned around to put the drink back in the fridge and realized that I had gotten the regular rootbeer. I had to tell Brianna to put down her drink and to choose something else. She just looked at me and started to cry. I FELT AWFUL!!!!! I almost cried myself. I just had to tell her that mommy made a mistake at the store and accidentally got the regular rootbeer and that we would fix it tomorrow, but for now she would have to choose a different drink. She was upset for about 10 minutes after that. I was mad at myself for not realizing it before the poor dear had it in front of her. I was known as mean mommy last night!
February 15th, 2006, 10:28 AM
Veteran
Quote:
It is so hard to be the bad guy! Yesterday I went to the store to get groceries and grabbed a couple of 2 liters for Brianna. I thought that I had gotten her Diet rootbeer(her favorite). So I served dinner and poured her rootbeer. I then turned around to put the drink back in the fridge and realized that I had gotten the regular rootbeer. I had to tell Brianna to put down her drink and to choose something else. She just looked at me and started to cry. I FELT AWFUL!!!!! I almost cried myself. I just had to tell her that mommy made a mistake at the store and accidentally got the regular rootbeer and that we would fix it tomorrow, but for now she would have to choose a different drink. She was upset for about 10 minutes after that. I was mad at myself for not realizing it before the poor dear had it in front of her. I was known as mean mommy last night![/b]

Welcome to a new place of inspiration as we are not alone in this journey. I can picture myself doing that tooo, it was an ooops thing, not something we want or even like to do but w/ such a life we lead we are bound to mess something up & that's why our children love us unconditionally.

Welcome again & I hope you enjoy it here

Lisa

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search