Lisa, slcoleman, how did your meeting go?

Forum: Children's Health

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children's Health LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 12th, 2005, 01:51 PM
fka teresarunningmommy
Let us know if you have time.

Teresa

Check out my running blog - Wannabe Running Mama
October 12th, 2005, 02:05 PM
MissyPrincessEha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am waiting to know as well!

October 12th, 2005, 05:59 PM
Veteran
Hello, Well my hour meeting w/ ds teacher just went ok. For the 1st 15 min I listened to all the things he doesn't do right. i was told he rushes thru everything, doesn't like to pick up his things,very messy child, talks alot. she even said he strikes her as being a child that has been always waited on.(granted for the past 4 mos since our "d", yes he probably has been)...so I finally had to ask her "tell me something positive about him as I now know the things he doesn't do" then she went on to say "oh, he is a charming,cute child(i know he is a cute child etc...lol...) w/ a good personality & has many friends. Ok I want to know about his academics(he rushes thru his work,doesn't check his work,which is why he is getting the grades he gets)..I asked her about the 504 & it was interesting b/c her body language had changed & said " his diabetes is not interfering w/ his education & he did not need one" that experience w/ her alone was a sign for me to make it a mission to get a 504 in place. My ds says he feels rushed in school especially at the end of the day... i tried to see if the school could change his 3:00 bs check to 3:10 & they said that is not a good time of the day b/c it's at the end of the day & the office is busy.

I want to let you know his school has been very accomadating w/ his "d" medical needs & don't want to be anymore bothersome to their jobs than what they already have on their plate but it is hard for me as we are only 1 family & that is my 1st priority & the school has sooo much other stuff to deal with. i don't want the school to have a bad feeling toward my son bc mom is being up tight. my friends tell me that since it is a public school they need to make all the accomadations bc it is our tax dollars that pay for our schools. i am not a mean or pushy person i just want what is best for my ds as he journeys thru his school years & i want them to be as positive as they can be, which is why i wanted to talk w/ his teacher now vs waiting till the end of the year & i wouldn't be able to do anything then vs being proactive. i was told by his teacher that we are only 10 weeks into the school year & she doesn't see that his "d" is affecting his education at all & 4th grade is just hard for all the children not just mine. oh..also she said it seems to her as i am having the 1st born child overprotective syndrome...well i just stopped her real quick & said" no i don't see it that way at all as i am a new "d" mom that has his safety & education as my priority & i need your help as his teacher for him to get the best possible education that he can get.

we have a "d" checkup tomorrow at childrens & i will be talking w/ our "d" about more on the 504 & see if they can point me in the right direction w/ his school.

tell me if i was wrong as i am open to any & all opinions to be a better person & mom for my children.

thanks again for your care
lisa
October 12th, 2005, 06:38 PM
1shortmomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to 1shortmomma Send a message via MSN to 1shortmomma Send a message via Yahoo to 1shortmomma
Wow...
I don't think you are being pushy or overprotective at all. You need to look out for your son and make sure that he is getting the care he needs at school. I think that the teacher sounds rude! She should be happy that a parent is taking an active role in their child's education...especially this early in the year! There are so many parents out there that don't care how their kids are doing. I would definately talk to your dr about getting a 504 in place because it doesn't sound like this teacher is going to be very accommodating. I can't believe she would discuss all those negative things about your son without saying some positive too...without prompting from you! If things don't improve with his teacher you may want to speak with the principal.
Sorry....just realized I kind of jumped around from 1 topic to another and back again in my post. My brain is working faster than my hands can type!! LOL

October 12th, 2005, 06:48 PM
Veteran
Quote:
Originally posted by 1shortmomma@Oct 12 2005, 08:38 PM
Wow...
I don't think you are being pushy or overprotective at all. You need to look out for your son and make sure that he is getting the care he needs at school. I think that the teacher sounds rude! She should be happy that a parent is taking an active role in their child's education...especially this early in the year! There are so many parents out there that don't care how their kids are doing. I would definately talk to your dr about getting a 504 in place because it doesn't sound like this teacher is going to be very accommodating. I can't believe she would discuss all those negative things about your son without saying some positive too...without prompting from you! If things don't improve with his teacher you may want to speak with the principal.
Sorry....just realized I kind of jumped around from 1 topic to another and back again in my post. My brain is working faster than my hands can type!! LOL
<div align="right"><{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[/quote]

I know what you mean about the brain jumping all over the place...that's why we are moms bc we do it soo well...
October 12th, 2005, 08:00 PM
fka teresarunningmommy
I would insist on the 504 plan! Especially with her attitude. She is obviously very ignorant about diabetes which is unfortunately a big problem with diabetes. Be polite about it. See if your endo can help at all. Mine have actually gone into the school and done training. These teachers have no understanding of how a low blood sugar affects their performance in school. It can make the difference between someone Aceing the test and failing it!

I always had that same feeling like I didn't want to put the school out. Don't let them make you feel this way. This is NOT A PRIVILEDGE they are giving your child. THIS IS A RIGHT he has! Sorry, I'll get off my soapbox now. Your teacher is not the only one in charge of deciding whether he gets a 504 plan or not. Honestly, I would insist on it. I feel for you a lot. I am so sorry you having to deal with this.

Teresa

October 12th, 2005, 08:38 PM
kimnels2003's Avatar Super Mommy
Lisa--

I'm sorry that you are having a bad start to the school year. I would get the 504 in place asap. It ensures that they are aware of what they have to do for your son. The teacher doesn't like it because it will be more work for her. I went thru having a teacher last year that gave me trouble from the beginning...from what you have said...I would see if there is another teacher for the same grade to put the child in. A teacher who is sympathetic to the situation...don't take me wrong, I dont' want the teacher to feel sorry for them...just to be aware that things can happen that affect school, attitude, etc. And as far as the office goes...I don't care if they are busy at the time he needs his test--that is when he needs it. I wonder if they will be "busy" or it will be inconvenient if he has a medical emergency. Arrh!!!! Don't get me started with school. I'm having flashbacks to last year.

Diabetes most certainly does affect school. Next time your child is low...have them write their name or copy a sentence, so a math problem. Then have them do the same thing when their sugar is in good range. We had trouble with Danielle's penmanship grade last year...couldn't get the teacher to even bother putting the date on the tests so that we could know even the day the tests were done, in order to relate it to bloodsugars.

BTW--welcome

Kim

"You cannot direct the wind, but you can adjust the sails."--Reverend Bernice A. King
October 13th, 2005, 07:33 AM
Regular
OH Wow! i don't even know what to say about this teacher. and i agree with the 504 plan being started immediately. This school has to accomadate you and your son, it's there job. i might would even consider trying to get him a different teacher because teachers have to be sympathetic to what they have and understand that is does affect their thinking and activity. One of our sons teachers this year has a daughter who is diabetic so she knows first hand that they can fail a test if their sugar is not right. And it should be your decision on when he gets tested it doesn't matter that the office is busy at that time, your son should come first. I get very angry dealing with people who just do not want or care to understand what we as parents are going through with this disease, i mean it's hard enough to let them go to school everyday without worrying ourselves to death but to have to deal with all this stuff to is just to much. Good Luck getting it all sorted out. Keep us updated.
October 13th, 2005, 09:16 PM
I can't even reply as I am very raw from my own issues in my life right now. So I am very emotional. I would have to be held back from ripping that old gal to shreds if she had said any of what she said to you, to me. HOW DARE SHE???? I so agree with the ladies. Shame on that teacher.

October 17th, 2005, 04:28 PM
Veteran
Hey moms,

I wanted to give you an update...things are going much better for us....school has adjusted Adam's 3:00 check to a little bit later in the day so he doesn't miss any school work. Their approach to us has been more on the positive side.

Last Thurs. we went for ds 3 mos checkup & he has been tagged as being "controlled diabetic" & his A1c count was 7.6. We are forging ahead w/ an Animas pump ( that's the one my ds has picked). We are also going to input a 504.

I can't thank you all enough for the short time I have been coming of the support & strength you have given me.

Take Care
October 17th, 2005, 05:02 PM
fka teresarunningmommy
Quote:
Originally posted by slcoleman@Oct 17 2005, 06:28 PM
Hey moms,

I wanted to give you an update...things are going much better for us....school has adjusted Adam's 3:00 check to a little bit later in the day so he doesn't miss any school work.* Their approach to us has been more on the positive side.

Last Thurs. we went for ds 3 mos checkup & he has been tagged as being "controlled diabetic" & his A1c count was 7.6.* We are forging ahead w/ an Animas pump ( that's the one my ds has picked).* We are also going to input a 504.

I can't thank you all enough for the short time I have been coming of the support & strength you have given me.*

Take Care
<div align="right"><{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[/quote]

7.6 is a great A1C! Congats!

Teresa

October 21st, 2005, 02:59 PM
That is a great A1c! And I am so glad to hear the good pump news. Let me know how you guys do with it.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search