Log In Sign Up

Kaiden's birth story (Tonya/fromustobaby) - 7/26 posts #89, 90, 91- TONS of NEW PICS!

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To TTC #1 Grads Journals LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 13th, 2010, 09:10 PM
fromustobaby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 8,583
WARNING: If you know me at all, you know that it is a given that it is going to be long - in this case super long…after all, it was the most amazing day of my life!
so pull up a chair, get something to drink, and get comfortable - ENJOY!


On Sunday, I was definitely starting to feel ready to meet my baby. I was 39 weeks and 6 days, and took a ton of 40 week belly pictures, hoping that I would not have to take any more. We went out to eat brunch at an all you can eat place, and I ate a ton. We went for a few errands, and I purposefully walked as much as possible.

When we got home, I bounced on an exercise ball, then had just started watching a movie on the computer when all of a sudden, I felt like I’d wet myself. This was about 3pm. My heart skipped a beat, and I ran to the bathroom to check it out. But it wasn’t like any “water break” that I had imagined. It was like a slightly leaky faucet. So, I put in a pad, and debated with myself about whether I should say anything to Matt, and if I should make a big deal about it. I decided to just wait it out and see what happened, so, I changed clothes, sat back down and continued watching the movie.

When I next got up to use the bathroom, it was still leaking – a bit faster than before. I started really getting excited at that point, and told Matt that I think maybe, sorta, kinda, I might be imagining things but…my water might have broken – a little.

I called the hospital and spoke to a nurse, who said that we might as well come in. So, at around 5pm, we packed stuff up (and the whole time I was saying that I’m sure that we will just be sent home, cause this probably isn’t really it), and drove over to the hospital. They admitted us, and I got checked out. Basically, the amniotic water is a base, and urine or cervical mucus is acidic, so, to test if it was my water, they just use a strip of pH paper – if it stays pink, it’s not the amniotic fluid, if it turns blue, then it is. Well, the strip turned blue immediately, and I suddenly got hit with the reality that I was actually going to be having a baby – and soon!

First, we got hooked up to monitors to measure the baby’s heartrate and my contractions. The baby’s heartbeat was great, however, I was having no contractions. So, the nurse said that I’d have to talk to the doctor to see what would happen from here. It seemed like forever, but the doctor finally came in around 8pm, and said that we could either start pitocin in order to start the contractions, or I could wait and see if they happened on their own (but most likely need the pitocin anyway to get them going since they wanted me to have the baby within 24 hours of the water “leak”). I decided on the pitocin, and by 9pm, it was flowing.

Then the waiting began. The monitor said that I was having some contractions, but they weren’t painful at all, so, we watched tv, and Matt fell asleep on the couch. We amused ourselves by taking pictures of me with a little smiley face chart that the hospital room came with that showed the level of pain and a corresponding happy or sad face. Up until midnight, with no painful contractions, I was a 0-1 (happy face).

Then, all of a sudden, right at the stroke of midnight (on my due date), I felt this pop, a big pop, and a gush. I knew for a fact that this was my water. And, that’s when the hard contractions started (instant 7-8 pain sad face!). I watched them on the monitor and at the peak, they were up to the top of the chart, at first they were manageable because they were a few minutes apart, so I could breathe through them. But then, they started getting stronger (the monitor would peak out for the entire contraction), and they were also starting to get closer together.

When the doctor came in, she checked me and I was at 4cm dilated (1 cm beyond what I had been 3 weeks ago). Given that, and how painful it was, I decided on the epidural.

The 30 minute wait for the epidural was beyond painful, I was having no breaks whatsoever, and the contractions were right on top of each other. The epidural went perfectly, I felt less pain, but not no pain, I could feel my legs, and I really could feel my stomach. I was very happy – but, not for long.

After about 15 minutes, I got some incredible rectal pressure, and given how fast this occurred, the nurse decided to check me. She got a shocked look on her face as she said that I was at 8 cm. Five minutes later, as I was absolutely twisting in pain, she found that I was at 9 cm, and then 10 minutes after that, as I was yelling at Matt that I needed to push and soon, she said that I was fully dilated – 10 cm. Basically, I went from 3 cm (where I had been for weeks) to 10 cm in about one to one and a half hours.

Then the pushing began. The nurse just basically said to push when I felt like it, and I tried my best, but I could have done with a bit more instruction. About an hour after the pushing started, she said that she could see his head and that it had hair – what motivation that was! About 15 minutes later she called the doctor in (who was quite surprised that I was so close given that I had been at 4 cm just a few hours ago). Anyway, she was amazing. I’m someone who needs instruction and am great at following it when given. She was great at giving instructions. So, at the height of each contraction, I was to push for 10 straight seconds, take one big breath, push for 10 more seconds, take another big breath, then push for 10 more seconds. Between contractions, she constantly reminded me to try not to hyperventilate and to slow down and conserve my air for the pushing.

At this time, she was checking on the baby, one nurse was holding my right leg, the other nurse was checking the monitors to make sure that baby was doing ok, and Matt was holding my other leg. Let me just say, I was worried that Matt wouldn’t be able to handle birth, and frankly, he often said that he wouldn’t even be able to look down there. But he was incredible. I had this just absolutely amazing team of cheerleaders counting down each 10 count with me and cheering me on as I pushed – it was painful, sure, but the atmosphere, the support, everything, it could not have been any better!

Apparently, my child has a big head, and that’s why it was taking so long, he also has a lot of hair. So as he was starting to pop out, they were entertaining themselves by playing with his hair – and making it into a Mohawk (which I wasn’t so amused about then, but now find very funny!). Finally – at 4:40am (on my due date!), his head popped out, and with one push and a huge gush, the entire rest of his body was out – and I was a mom!

They laid him on my chest immediately after (as I had requested in my birth plan), and my heart melted. I couldn’t believe that had come out of me, and we had made him – he was perfect in every way, and ours – words can’t even describe it. In the birth plan, I had said that I would cut the cord (because Matt had said previously that there was no way that he would be able to do that), however, he was a completely different person in that birth room then even he could ever have imagined, and because of that, with our son nestled snuggly on my chest, he cut the cord.

With that, Kaiden was whisked away, and cleaned up while I got everything else out, and was stitched up (only one second degree tear, which isn’t comfortable, but is nothing compared to what I got out of it). Then, Matt and I spent the entire rest of the morning admiring how beautiful our son was, and talking about how our life had changed – it was the best night of my life!


We went to the post-partum ward on Monday afternoon, and I finally got a bit of sleep (about an hour). My parents came up that night, and spent some time with their first grandchild. That night, I fed him about once every 3 hours, but he wasn’t getting much food cause I didn’t have any milk yet, and when the nurse came by at 4am to do his 24 hour checkup, they found that he was pretty jaundiced and had sensitive skin (he was getting some major newborn rash going on).

On Tuesday morning, we talked to the pediatrician, and decided to do one night of bilirubin lights to try to get his levels down. Matt’s mom came by that afternoon, but because of the bilirubin lights, she couldn’t spend much quality time with him. Tuesday night was awful, when he wasn’t feeding, he was under the lights, and had to be naked except for his diaper, which made him miserable because he kept waking himself up, on top of that, he had to wear these special foam pads (we tried two different kinds, but both were horrible) on his eyes to try to protect them from the lights, and they irritated his rash even more, and he looked like baby zombie by the end of the night.

On Wednesday morning, his levels were still high, but were not at the peak range that they were the previous day, so we got to go home. I don’t know how many more descriptive adjectives I can use, but I have to say, taking my baby home, to our house, to his room, to where he would grow up, made my imagination run wild with thinking of all that I would experience with him over the rest of our lives.

Wednesday afternoon, all the grandparents (and my parents two dogs, and Matt’s mom’s two cats) were over and we all had a family dinner together.

We went in our bedroom that night – after sleeping maybe 5 hours since Saturday – expecting to have a relaxed perfect baby sleep mostly through the night. Well, we were mistaken, he didn’t sleep at all, so we were up all night, and he cried and cried. Two things happened, first, my milk hadn’t come in yet, and he was starving (I tried to feed him for 5 hours and he still wanted more), and second, when we wrapped him up in the swaddle, we didn’t do it tightly, and he was out of it in under 5 minutes.

Thursday morning we were both zombies – and I was near tears cause of how frustrating it was. However, we finally found a perfect swaddle blanket, and I wrapped him the right way (according to the “Happiest Baby on the Block” DVD). It made all the difference in the world, and I was finally able to get some sleep that morning, and Matt’s mom was finally able to spend real time with her first grandchild as we slept. It worked out so well, after 3 hours, I fed him again, and swaddled him, and Matt’s mom watched him again as I (finally) showered, and was able to sleep for another 2 hours. My parents brought over dinner, and we all ate as a big family again.

Thursday night worked perfectly, he ate, swaddled, slept, ate, swaddled, slept. When he wasn’t eating or sleeping, we just spent time staring at the crazy expressions that he makes – he smiles (and has the cutest dimples just like his daddy) and frowns, gives us big bug eyes, and looks mad, and looks around at this crazy big world – I wonder what in the world he thinks of it all?

The only bad thing was that he hadn’t peed hardly at all, and the few times he had – they were brown. Friday morning was our well-baby visit with the pediatrician, and unfortunately, he was still jaundiced. She told us to feed more often, and that if he wasn’t peeing, that it meant that he wasn’t getting enough food. Luckily, my milk finally came in on Friday. I had been relatively small throughout the entire pregnancy – but not anymore. Oh my goodness! Kaiden loved it, and since Friday, he has not gone more than 3 hours without a peed diaper. I’m hoping that this means good things for his jaundice.

So, that brings us to now. We are really getting used to our little guy. His newborn rash is still around, but not nearly as bad as it was. We are on a really good 3 hour time table for eating and sleeping. Will find out more about his jaundice with our appointment on Monday (hoping for good things since he really seems to be eating well now). And, we are completely in love.
I couldn’t pick just one picture, so these are all of them (click on the link and then just click through them). It goes from getting admitted to the hospital, through labor, to birth, to coming home, and the last ones are from this afternoon when we set him up in a chair and did some newborn pictures. I can already see him changing slightly, and don’t want to miss one moment!

Adobe Web Photo Gallery

Second week update: post #21 and #25
third week: post #31
fourth week: post #35
fifth week: post #40
sixth week: post #49
seventh week: post #53
eighth week: post #59
ninth week: post #65
tenth and eleventh week: post #69
twelvth week: post #77
twentieth week: posts #89,90,91

Last edited by fromustobaby; July 26th, 2010 at 08:52 PM.
Reply With Quote
March 14th, 2010, 06:38 AM
baby:mama's Avatar Veteran
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: NC
Posts: 397
Send a message via Yahoo to baby:mama
That is such a great birth story He is absolutely beautiful!!! Those pictures at the end are great. Congratulations again and thank you for sharing your story. It helps those of us who are in waiting know a little bit more of what to expect Enjoy being a mommy!!
Add me on Facebook!

Thanks to Kiliki for my siggy
Reply With Quote
March 14th, 2010, 11:44 AM
MommaLee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 8,986
What a great story! Love all the pictures....congrats on baby Kaiden. He is so adorable. Can't wait to see who he starts to look like.
Reply With Quote
March 14th, 2010, 03:21 PM
Dóchas's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Ireland
Posts: 6,129
Send a message via AIM to Dóchas
OMG honey what a story. I love it
And your photo's made me cry you look so beautiful and you and Matt look so in love with your handsome perfect son...
Thank you for sharing. I'm so excited to be able to watch Kaiden grow both here and FB. He is just just cute.
I just know that you and Matt are going to make fantastic parents.


Reply With Quote
March 14th, 2010, 05:15 PM
KCMomma's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 4,821
What an awesome story!!!!! I'm so happy for you and let the good times roll!!!!! Those pics are absolutely awesome and you and Matt are just too cute together! Oh and Kaiden is one handsome little man!!! Can't wait to watch him grow!

Thank you Julka for my beautifully, perfect siggy!!

Reply With Quote
March 14th, 2010, 05:31 PM
Lyz's Avatar
Lyz Lyz is offline
Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Delaware
Posts: 6,250
thank you for sharing your birth story! Kaiden is absolutely adorable!! You look fantastic as well So happy for you and Matt...can't wait to see your little man grow!

Reply With Quote
March 14th, 2010, 06:58 PM
jensma's Avatar Katie: mommy to Ty & Em
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 12,928
awwwww, tonya this is so exciting!! Can't wait to see more pics of him! And you look fabulous already!

Have Faith, Expect Miracles

SHHHH!! Don't mention Pregnancy on FB please!!
Reply With Quote
March 14th, 2010, 08:03 PM
ca_dawson's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,580
What a great birth story! I'm so glad yall are getting in the groove of things! He is absolutely adorable! I love all the pics!
Reply With Quote
March 15th, 2010, 07:16 AM
CandaceDianne's Avatar Lilyan's Mommy
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Georgia
Posts: 8,549
What a great story!! And look how great you look afterwards, i am super jealous!!!!
He is so cute, Tonya!! Oh my goodness!!!! His poor little rash though, it seemed to have gone down a lot by the time he got home though. Glad you are all doing great!!

Born June 5, 2010
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
Reply With Quote
March 15th, 2010, 07:18 AM
chloe12's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,844
Such a great story Tonya - I'm so happy for you! I had tears in my eyes reading this and looking through your pictures, you can see just how content and in love you are with your perfect little son!

Congrats again!
Reply With Quote
March 15th, 2010, 08:54 AM
MarinaAndCharlie'sMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 7,706
I'm so happy for you Tonya! What a great story! I love all the details; it really helps me get an idea on what I could expect. Kaiden is just precious and it's so touching to see you and Matt so in love with the little guy. Hope his rash clears up soon. I can't believe he's already a week old!

Reply With Quote
March 15th, 2010, 01:51 PM
Oreobaby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Manitoba Canada
Posts: 6,749
Send a message via MSN to Oreobaby
that is such a great birth story Tonya...and after the mention of your boobs, I feel like I should go check out how big they are in your post partum pic. LOL...I wasn't really looking at them. I love all of his pictures, and the video's your mom or Matt's mom took and put on FB...he is such a cutie!! I am so glad that he is here, and settling into a routine.

Reply With Quote
March 15th, 2010, 06:46 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: NE Arkansas
Posts: 1,293
That was a beautiful story. Congratulations! He is definetly a cutie.

Reply With Quote
March 16th, 2010, 10:56 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 5,566
Oh i just noticed this! congrats again!

Reply With Quote
March 16th, 2010, 03:11 PM
Cheryl_W's Avatar Izzy's Mom!
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Chilliwack, BC, Canada
Posts: 3,646
Send a message via MSN to Cheryl_W
Aww... I cried looking through the pics what a beautiful story!

And you SO would bring your pee stick to the hospital LOL - total Tonya move! And the pictures of him at home on that white blanket just make my heart melt...


Big huge hugz and thanks to tasha_mae for my beautiful siggy!

- and -
Reply With Quote
March 16th, 2010, 08:47 PM
KennasMama's Avatar Loving my baby girl!
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: OR
Posts: 1,860
What a fantastic story! Is is absolutely adorable, love all that hair. Thanks for sharing all the pictures, they're great!!!! Congratulations to you and your family.
So in love with my siggy by Chelsea!

Reply With Quote
March 17th, 2010, 09:46 AM
Tammyms's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Edmonton AB, Canada
Posts: 6,451
Great story Tonya! Brought me to tears reading it, I can already you and Matt are fantastic parents!

Make a pregnancy ticker
Reply With Quote
March 17th, 2010, 05:20 PM
ca_dawson's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,580
I think you look amazing in your PP pic! Can't wait to hear more updates on him! He's such a little cutie!
Reply With Quote
March 18th, 2010, 07:53 PM
tiffanys's Avatar Expecting #1- Fisher
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 2,271
Thanks so much for sharing your birth story Tonya! Kaiden is beautiful and it sounds like you had an awesome labor and delivery!
Congrats on your baby boy!
Blessed Mommy to Fisher and baby#2 Hunter on his way

Reply With Quote
March 19th, 2010, 06:42 AM
Oreobaby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Manitoba Canada
Posts: 6,749
Send a message via MSN to Oreobaby
Just wanted to pop in and say...missing you!! Sunday will come...and you belly will be missed. I hope things are going well for you at home...and you are totally enjoying your little man!!

Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:19 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0