Log In Sign Up

Dani's Little Cub, Due in September!

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree62Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To TTC #1 Grads Journals LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 19th, 2012, 05:55 PM
DaniM0820's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Pottstown, PA
Posts: 3,078
Jordan's Birth Story

We woke up at 5:00 am on Thursday, September 13th. My induction was scheduled for 7:00 am but I wanted to make sure I had plenty of time to shower, shave, and get the last few items packed in our bags. I also ate breakfast and did the few dishes that were in the sink so there would be nothing to do once we came home.

At 6:45 am, we left the house to head to the hospital, which is literally 2 minutes from where we live. I checked in in the Emergency Entrance, but Labor & Delivery had no idea I was coming. The doctor never let them know (idiot). That annoyed me but there was nothing we could do. We went through registry and headed up to L&D. Once there they got me into my room, I got into the gown and into bed, and they hooked me up to the IV and monitors.

At 8:30 am, they were able to start the Pitocin. Instead of just doing a little bit and waiting for my body to respond (as per my conversation with Dr. B on Wednesday), the nurses said they would be starting it and increasing the amount of Pit every 30 minutes or so until the contractions were going, then they would do every hour. I was not happy to hear this but after a little bit I started cramping but was having no real contractions. Randy and I had the TV on to pass the time.

At 10:15 am, the doctor FINALLY came in to check me. I was only 2.5cm, 70-80% effaced, which meant no real change from last week (I was 2cm, 70% then). He broke my water and it was a small flow (I was expecting a huge gush!) and more would come out with every contraction.

At 11:00 am, the contractions started picking up and I was getting uncomfortable. At 11:45 am I told the nurses I was ready for an epidural since the pain was getting bad. They checked me but I had made no progress from last time and I was told it was too early for an epidural. They gave me Demerol to ďtake the edge off.Ē It made me feel dizzy for about 10 minutes but practically did nothing. The contractions kept getting intense and the nurses kept upping the Pitocin and making it worse.

At 12:20 pm, the contractions were so horrible and I ended up crying through every one. I was checked again and was up to 4cm. They said I could order the epidural and of course I said yes. They had me get up to use the bathroom since I wouldnít be able to get up once it was in. I finally got the epi at 1:00 pm and it was the best feeling in the world! I was able to relax finally; contractions became 2-3 minutes apart. I didnít go numb from the epidural and could still feel some slight pressure on my right side, which was nice because I could still tell when contractions were coming but it was no more than the cramping feeling I had earlier. It was the perfect amount of pain relief. I watched more TV with Randy as a great distraction.

At 1:45 pm, they came in and checked meó6cm, 90% effaced. I was next checked at 2:15 pm and was 8-9 cm. I was feeling more pressure (like I needed to poop) and the nurses said Iíd be ready soon. 10 minutes later, at 2:25 pm, I felt like I had to push. The nurses checked me and I was 10cm, fully effaced! I pushed a few times before they decided to put a catheter in but they couldnít because babyís head was in the way (idiots). They said every push was making progress but I couldnít tell.

Around 3ish, I felt intense pain and pressure (Jordan was crowning) and the nurses yelled for the doctor to come in. I started crying since they made me stop and it hurt so bad. The doc came in and took his sweet time getting the gown and gloves on I wanted to kick him. Finally I was able to push and Jordan was born at 3:05pm. He was 6lb 13 oz, 20 inches long. I pushed for just 35 minutes (Randy just told me he counted and it took 20 pushes before they called the doctor, then just 3 or 4 pushes after that)!

I didnít feel as much relief as I wanted to but it did feel better. I noticed that Randy didnít cut the cord and that upset me. They had Jordan on my stomach for the initial clean off but moved him over to the bassinet in the room almost immediately even though I was told at the Lamaze class that he would stay on me. I finally heard him cry a bit when he was on there. I found out later the cord was around his neck and thatís why the doctor had to cut it. He came out very blue and after his 5 min Apgar (scored 8-9 because of color) he was almost pure white. I delivered the placenta and finally felt that relief I needed once everything was out.

The doctor was still down there and I noticed he was stitching me up. At first I couldnít feel anything but the slight tugging, but the longer he was down there the worse it was feeling. They finally put Jordan on me for some skin-to-skin contact, but the pain got so bad I was just crying. They gave me some more Demerol but I still cried while trying to bond with Jordan. The doctor was stitching me up for at least 45 minutesólonger than it took to push the baby out. He said instead of me having one tear, I had several small 2nd degree tearsóhe used 30 sponges to clean me up. Everything was so much better when the doc finally left me alone and I could focus on Jordan.

I tried to nurse right away but Jordan wasnít very interested. It was still great to have him there on me though. Because of the gestational diabetes the nurses had to check his blood sugars, which were perfect every time. They also took him to the bassinet to give him the Vitamin K shot and eye goop. After I got him back he did latch and I was soooo happy! I had a lot of fear that he wouldnít latch well and breastfeeding would be a hassle.

Sometime in the 5:00 hour, the nurses were ready to move me to the post-partum room. They helped me out of bed to use the restroom and I was able to move with little problem, which was good. I definitely felt sore but I sat on the toilet and tried peeing. I donít know how long I sat there but nothing was coming out, and when the nurses were ready to take me over I started to feel light headed and dizzy. I had to put my head down low. The nurses said I had lost a lot of blood and they were getting another IV in me so my fluids could get back up. I feel like I was sitting on the toilet dizzy for a while, but eventually I felt better and they got me into a wheelchair and back into bed. I didnít get to go into the post-partum room until after 7:00 pm because of my dizzy spell, but it was nice to finally get to go!

So there were definitely some snags in the labor, delivery, and post-delivery period, but it was all worth it to see my beautiful baby boy! I know if I had known better I would have done some things differently (mainly NOT using Pitocin) but he is here and safe and perfect in every single way.

Randy was fantastic during the labor. He was his usual self with me the majority of the time, but when things got bad he would just hold my hand and that was all I needed from him. He periodically asked if I was ok when he saw I was having a lot of pain, but he wasnít annoying about it and the entire time I was crying through the contractions he was silent but still just holding my hand. I thought I would want some encouraging words from him throughout but how he handled everything was perfect. I didnít want to talk to anyone and didnít want them talking to me. Iím so blessed to have a husband who is so much on the same page as I am, and I never had to tell him what I wanted to needed from him When it came time to push, he helped hold my left leg up and a nurse was on my right. Again he wasnít a talker but would rub my hand or my leg in between the pushing. He was a great coach even though I didnít want any coaching

We were able to leave the hospital just after Jordanís circumcision on Saturday morning. We were home by 10:00 am and everyone has been adjusting well, even the dogs Nights are definitely more rough than throughout the day (though he did do REALLY well last night!), but we are managing and Jordan seems to be a happy and fairly easy baby. Sometimes I feel useless though because I have been so sore from the stitches and swelling, I know everything will be so much easier when I heal and can get in and out of bed without feeling pain. Randy has definitely been a wonderful daddy and husband, and it helps that he will be home with me and Jordan until this Thursday when he goes back to work. This is all a learning process but I think we are doing well so far!

Ok, I have to feed Jordan now but I will definitely post pictures soon!

10/01/15 @ 8.5 weeks
11/17/15 @ 4 weeks (chemical)
1/25/16 @ 4.5 weeks
3/07/16 @ 5.5 weeks

Struggling with how much more my heart can take.
Reply With Quote
September 19th, 2012, 06:00 PM
kbpeanut's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: north county san diego, ca
Posts: 13,284

Thanks *Kiliki* for my amazingly perfect siggy!


Our TTC Journey | Pregnancy Journals: Nugget (or here) and Baxter (or here)
Reply With Quote
September 19th, 2012, 06:15 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Green Bay, WI
Posts: 4,213
I am glad Jordan is here and perfect

Forever missing my angel 2010

Reply With Quote
September 19th, 2012, 08:49 PM
Belita's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 12,105
Sounds like overall it was a good birth.

Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:30 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0