Week 3: Soup

52 Weeks of Cooking Challenge

Branch out with your cooking by participating in this fun challenge with weekly themes. You can join any time in 2012!

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 52 Weeks of Cooking Challenge LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 19th, 2012, 11:17 AM
Captain Pieffle

HEARTY TURKEY SOUP
Recipe from Cooks.com

1/4 c. butter
2 tbsp. chopped onion
1 tsp. curry powder, optional
1 c. diced potatoes
1/2 c. diced carrots
1/2 c. celery, sliced diagonally
3 c. turkey or chicken broth
Salt & pepper to taste
1/2 (10 oz.) pkg. frozen French green beans
1 c. diced cooked turkey
1 tsp. minced fresh oregano or 1/2 tsp. dried
1 tbsp. minced parsley
1 (14 1/2 oz.) can evaporated milk
2 tbsp. all-purpose flour

Melt butter in a 3 to 4 quart oven-proof dish and cook onion until transparent. Add curry powder, cooking mixture 1-2 minutes longer. Stir in potatoes, carrots, celery, broth, salt and pepper; bring to boil. Transfer to 300 degrees for 10-15 minutes or cook on top of stove on low heat. Stir in green beans, turkey, oregano and parsley. Continue baking 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender-crisp. Combine milk and flour; stir until well blended. Adjust seasonings. Soup should be slightly thick. Yield: 4-6 servings.

Thanks to leecat for making my Awesome siggy!
January 19th, 2012, 05:38 PM
Tiki's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We had Tortilla soup tonight, another new recipe I really enjoyed it and so did DH. I did however have to use Flour tortillas because the store didn't have corn, and it has been an average of -39C here the last few days so I wasn't going out anywhere else. I didn't fry them in the pan either I coated with Olive oil and bake @ 400F for 15min (About 2 min too long) I also added corn to the soup. I actually bought a can of canned tomatos for this one too, I figured it needed the liquid from the tomatos. I might experiment with my frozen diced next time now that I have something to Tortilla Soup Recipe | Simply Recipes

The belief that there is only one truth and that oneself is in possession of it seems to me the
deepest root of all evil that is in the world.”
— German physicist Max Born
Like Bear Moon on Facebook
January 19th, 2012, 06:29 PM
Shades of Grey's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I made a soup not from a recipe, but dictated by what was in my fridge and needed to be used I started with 2 onions sauteed with garlic and salt. I added some chicken broth, crushed red pepper, and 2 diced bell peppers. I let that simmer while I sliced 2 carrots and a parsnip, 1/4 head of red cabbage sliced super thin and rough chopped, and a crown of broc, and smoked sausage. Let it all simmer another 30 min or so, added a little butter to help the consistancy of the broth. I'll add photos in a but, but wanted to type this up before I forgot everything I added!

Not the prettiest bowl of soup, but it tastes good. I wish I'd had some parmesan to shred over it.

I am peace, full of unconditional love. I am confident and in tune with the Divine, receptive to guidance.

Last edited by Shades of Grey; January 19th, 2012 at 07:44 PM.
January 19th, 2012, 09:35 PM
NewportMamaBear's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to NewportMamaBear
My fourth and (I think) final soup of the week.

Cheesy Floret Soup

3 cups fresh broccoli florets
3 cups fresh cauliflower florets
3 celery stocks, chopped
1 small onion, chopped
2 cups water
1/2 tsp celery salt
3 Tbsp butter or margarine
3 Tbsp all-purpose flour
2 1/3 cups milk
1 lb processed cheese (Velveeta), cubed

In a large saucepan, combine first 6 ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 12-15 minutes (veggies are tender).
Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, melt butter; stir in flour until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook & stir for 2 minutes, or until thickened. Reduce heat; add cheese. Cook & stir until cheese is melted. Drain vegetables; add cheese sauce & heat through.
January 20th, 2012, 02:31 AM
Happy Song's Avatar Nicole
WHITE BEAN AND GARLIC SOUP

Ingredients
2 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 shallots, chopped
1 sage leaf
2 (15-ounce) cans cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
4 cloves garlic, cut in 1/2
1/2 cup cream
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
6 slices ciabatta bread
Extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling

Directions

Place a medium, heavy soup pot over medium heat. Add the butter, olive oil, and shallot. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the shallots are softened, about 5 minutes. Add the sage and beans and stir to combine. Add the stock and bring the mixture to a simmer. Add the garlic and simmer until the garlic is softened, about 10 minutes. Pour the soup into a large bowl. Carefully ladle 1/3 to 1/2 of the soup into a blender and puree until smooth. Be careful to hold the top of the blender tightly, as hot liquids expand when they are blended. Pour the blended soup back into the soup pan. Puree the remaining soup. Once all the soup is blended and back in the soup pan, add the cream and the pepper Keep warm, covered, over very low heat.

Place a grill pan over medium-high heat. Drizzle the slices of ciabatta bread with extra-virgin olive oil. Grill the bread until warm and golden grill marks appear, about 3 minutes a side. Serve the soup in bowls with the grilled bread alongside.

GREEK LEMON-RICE SOUP

Read more about it at Cooks.com - Recipe - Greek Lemon-Rice Soup
Content Copyright © 2012 Cooks.com - All rights reserved.

3 c. chicken broth
2 to 3 oz. uncooked regular rice
2 eggs
3 tbsp. lemon juice
Dash of salt
Dash of white pepper

In 2-quart saucepan, bring broth to a boil. Reduce heat, add rice, cover and simmer until rice is tender, about 20 minutes. In small bowl, beat eggs and lemon juice. Stirring constantly, add 1 cup of hot soup, a little at a time. Stir mixture into soup in pan and heat. Do not boil! Season with salt and pepper. Serve immediately. Serves 4.
NOTE: 2 oz. rice makes thinner soup; 3 oz. rice makes thick soup. Weight instead of measurement gives the option of using medium grain rice.
January 20th, 2012, 04:30 PM
Some people make chicken soup when they are sick we make borscht Orion is sick so I’m whipping up a batch of borscht. This is Ukrainian style but I don’t use any tomatoes. It is a similar to what my Baba and Clays grandma made when we were kids. Sorry I don't measure anything when I make this, it is more by taste then anything. .

Borscht
1 small cabbage
3 beets
Carrots
Onion
Vinegar
Chicken Stock ( I made some last night and had it simmer overnight)
Garlic about 2 heads
Dill (The fresh dill looked nasty this time so I bought freeze dried “fresh”) A ton of dill is needed
2 potatoes diced

Grate the beets, carrots and onions and 1/2 of the garlic put in chicken stock. Cook until beets are done. Add grated cabbage , rest of garlic and dill. Cook until potatoes and cabbage are done. Add a little vinegar until right tartness is achieved. Garnish with dill, sour cream and bacon… mmmm

The belief that there is only one truth and that oneself is in possession of it seems to me the

Last edited by Tiki; January 20th, 2012 at 05:46 PM.
January 20th, 2012, 05:45 PM
The Lesha's Avatar Avada Kedavra
Send a message via Yahoo to The Lesha

Bean & Ham Soup

Country Ham
Lima Beans
Black Beans
White Beans
Red Beans
Celery, diced
Carrots. diced
1/2 an Onion
1 can of diced tomatoes with liquid
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon chili powder
chicken broth (1 cup)
salt & pepper to taste

I used dried beans so I simmered the beans all day in the chicken broth, added ham when beans were almost done, then added the other ingredients.

I didn't measure anything just added as I went along... and it was fantastic, even Mason loved it! We had it for lunch as DH and Stone dont like beans.

Broccoli Soup

First one I ever made and it was great! I had no leftovers, the whole family enjoyed it, definitely a keeper! I served it with multigrain toast.

Recipe found here Favorite Family Recipes: Vegetarian

Chili

cinnamon
ground beef (cooked)
chilli powder
red pepper
cilantro
onion powder
garlic powder
oregano
cumin
diced tomatoes
1 can of tomato sauce
black beans (used dried)
paprika
1 cup beef broth
1/4 cup red wine
a dash of lemon juice
salt & pepper to taste

Again not many measurements... just threw it together to taste

I have tons of dry beans so I used them again with this recipe, simmered all day then added everything.

Add some cheese, green onions, and corn chips, sour cream if you like ( I dont but the family does) was yummmmy!

Lentil Soup

Followed this recipe except I didn't grind everything up at the end.
Lentil Soup with Lemon Recipe - Allrecipes.com

This was my first ever lentil soup, I have never made any never ate any... but wow.. this was soooo good. Me and Mason pigged out on this soup all day long!

Thank you *Kiliki* for my gorgeous siggie!
January 21st, 2012, 11:51 AM
Mod the Lesha, you don't soak your beans overnight? I always soaked mine overnight because I'm scared they won't be cooked. When you say simmered all day about how many hours? Do you find that the non soaked beans cause more gas? Thanks, I'm always forgetting to soak my beans and kicking myself for it.

January 21st, 2012, 05:34 PM
esparando para bebé's Avatar Proud Car Seat Technician
Send a message via AIM to esparando para bebé Send a message via Yahoo to esparando para bebé

Since we had an ice storm last night, I thought I'd do another soup today. I did not follow a recipe but will share my ingredients.

Water
Boneless Skinless Chicken
Italian Seasoning
Oregano
Chicken Bouillon
Crushed Red Pepper
Bay Leaf
Garlic Powder
Onion Powder
Celery Seed
Cream of Chicken
Canned biscuits

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my siggy!
Proud former foster parent to a teen. Waiting on our next call. Proud Aunt to 22.
Proud mommy to 7 angels. Survivor of 4 failed adoptions (5 kids)
January 21st, 2012, 07:35 PM
I hadn’t planned on making another soup this week but I had some mushrooms and soy creamer left in my fridge so I improvised a cream of mushroom soup. I liked it, DH said it didn’t taste like real cream.

3 types of Mushrooms chopped really fine about 3 lbs
Garlic minced 1 head
Onion Minced 2 Onions
Chicken broth about 6 cups
Soy Milk 1 Cup
Soy creamer ˝ cup
Flour ľ cup
Olive oil drizzled so that the onions, mushrooms and garlic were covered lightly

Salt, Pepper, Thyme
I pan fried the mushrooms onions and garlic, then made a roux with the flour and olive oil. Added the chicken broth whisked, cooked for about 15min stirring constantly, Then added the soy cream and milk and mixed it well and cooked until it was hot. I served in bread bowls I bought at the bakery today… mmmm

January 22nd, 2012, 04:54 PM
Send a message via AIM to esparando para bebé Send a message via Yahoo to esparando para bebé
DH's soup

Quote:
Creamy Tomato Basil Soup with Grilled Provolone and Cheddar Sandwich

I was expecting more of the tomato taste to come through, but it was still really good. I'll probably cut back the cream cheese next time or use a little heavy cream instead. I wanted to use ingredients I had on hand, so I looked at 6-8 different recipes and made one that would work for me.

1 28 oz. can whole peeled tomatoes
1 14.5 oz. can diced tomatoes (no salt added)
1 14.5 oz can sliced carrots, drained
1 T dry basil
3 T olive oil
1/4-1/2tsp each salt and pepper
8 oz. cream cheese, softened

Put all ingredients except cream cheese in large saucepan. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 45-60 minutes. Remove from heat and puree with a hand blender. Add cream cheese and stir until smooth. Serve immediately.

Proud former foster parent to a teen. Waiting on our next call. Proud Aunt to 22.
January 23rd, 2012, 08:17 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Cheeseburger Soup

Cheeseburger Soup I Recipe - Allrecipes.com

I used a whole pound of ground beef and was glad I did. I also grated the veggies in my food processor since we don't like big chunks of veggies. Oh, and I used Velveeta rather than cheddar for a better texture. We both really liked it!
TTC #1 since 1/11, Unexplained Infertility
M/C 2/12
Polyp Removal 11/12
4 failed IUIs

IVF #1
Started stims 9/27/13
ER 10/8/13 - 24 eggs, 15 fertilized!
Blast transfer 10/13/13, 4 snowbabies
Very faint 10/18/13 (5dp5dt)

Beta #1 10/23 - 339!!!
Beta #2 10/25 - 856!!!
U/S 11/14 - Heart rate 144!

Abigail arrived 6/28/14!

FET #1
Blast transfer 2/16/17
Very faint 2/21/17 (5dp5dt)
Beta #1 2/27 - 329!!!
Beta #2 3/1 - 995!!!
U/S 3/20 - Heart rate 157!

January 23rd, 2012, 09:42 AM
MaineBean's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Pictures uploaded- sorry, soup ain't my best subject matter! I swear the recipes didn't taste like they looked- they were both delicious!!!

Wild Rice Soup

This has become a standard winter meal in the rotation after I tried it a few years ago. It's very hearty and makes yummy leftovers. I think I added more carrots than usual, and really, I always eyeball the liquids, so who knows if I followed the recipe or not! I also made the rosemary biscuits I mentioned in my [old] blog post.

3 Tbsp. butter
1 Tbsp. Onion, minced
1/2 C. Flour
4 C. Chicken Broth
2 C. Cooked Wild Rice
1/2 C. Carrots, finely grated
1/2-1 C. cooked chicken
1 Small Can Sliced Mushrooms
1 1/2 Tbsp. Cashews (chopped)
1/2 C. Heavy Cream
1/2 C. Milk
Salt & Pepper to taste

1. In a large saucepan or medium stockpot, melt butter over medium-high and saute onions until translucent.
2. Mix in flour and stir until smooth. Add in 1 C. chicken broth and whisk over heat. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. As the mixture thickens, add in the remaining broth and stir. Allow to boil for about a minute.
3. Add in rice, carrots, chicken, mushrooms, and cashews. Heat through and let simmer for 5 minutes.
4. Stir in cream and milk and heat. If soup is too thick for your taste, add more water or chicken broth. Add salt and pepper to your tastes.

Clam Chowder

I had 2 cans of Bar Harbor Foods chopped clams and a bottle of their clam juice, so I referenced their site to see how they suggested doing chowder. I followed their recipe pretty closely- no bay leaf, definitely used big meaty bacon, and dashes of both the tabasco and worcestershire sauce. Served with saltines. Everyone really liked it. It could have been a tad thicker, but overall, really tasty. I'd use this recipe again.

Last edited by MaineBean; January 23rd, 2012 at 07:44 PM.
January 23rd, 2012, 10:48 AM
Closed for NEW submissions. MaineBean, welcome to the challenge. PM me when you've added the pics.

January 23rd, 2012, 06:40 PM
The Lesha's Avatar Avada Kedavra
Send a message via Yahoo to The Lesha
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiki View Post
Mod the Lesha, you don't soak your beans overnight? I always soaked mine overnight because I'm scared they won't be cooked. When you say simmered all day about how many hours? Do you find that the non soaked beans cause more gas? Thanks, I'm always forgetting to soak my beans and kicking myself for it.
Yes I did soak all but the lentils overnight. I put them on about 8am and let them cook on low until they were tender. probably about 5-6 hours. they'd cook faster if you turn the heat up but I wasn't in much of a hurry.

the lentils however didn't take long at all to cook, probably about an hour or so.

and you dont have to call me Mod or the for that matter

Thank you *Kiliki* for my gorgeous siggie!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search