Log In Sign Up

Miralax warning... It's not as safe as the dr made it out to be!

Forum: 2008 Playroom


Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2008 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 1st, 2013, 04:21 AM
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1
Originally Posted by KateBN View Post
Did you know that humans and chimps are both mammals? Even though we're from the same "family", that doesn't make monkeys, humans or humans, monkeys. Even better: did you know that tomatoes, potatoes, eggplants and several other popular and healthy vegetables belong to the nightshade family, a family with many species of toxic plants? According to Wikipedia, "Many members of the Solanaceae [Nightshade] family are used by humans, and are important sources of food, spice and medicine. However, Solanaceae species are often rich in alkaloids whose toxicity to humans and animals ranges from mildly irritating to fatal in small quantities." Just because something is from the same "family" as a toxic substance doesn't make it dangerous. Polyethylene glycol (PEG) and monoethylene glycol (MEG) are not the same thing. Antifreeze (MEG) is toxic and easily gets into your bloodstream if you drink it. Miralax is nontoxic and less than a half of a percent of Miralax (PEG) enters the blood stream. One will kill you, the other will help you.
I am SO glad you posted this; there are way too many bad things out there for people to "create" false bad things. Many don't realize PG is what is in inhalers, many, many foods, lip balms, safe medicines, etc., and just think antifreeze, antifreeze, antifreeze. Diethylene glycol is what is in antifreeze and it is in there to make it non-toxic to animals if they happen to lick it up somewhere. My cousin was flipping out because her children are taking MiraLax and she was "told" it could cause autism and CNS issues and even death. It's not fun having to calm someone down and tell them they were misinformed when it comes to their precious children.
Reply With Quote
July 23rd, 2013, 12:40 AM
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 2
My 2 years boy take miralax for one month.
After 2 weeks he took this , he start getting too much nevroys and he crying too much.(sorry for my english because i'm greek and i dont know the language very well)
i want from mothers who have the same problem to tell to me what i must have to do .
After this we stopped miralax and we have now 1 week we dont take this.

I am wondering to see what will happen with this .
Reply With Quote
December 3rd, 2013, 03:52 PM
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 1
I just recently found out that after my 7 month old son had suffered from muscle spasms (after the eeg and neurologist) that MIRALAX is the culprit! it CAN cause seizures, spasms and tics... we only used it for a week. doesnt take much
Reply With Quote
January 20th, 2014, 09:46 PM
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 1
Originally Posted by gretchenkennysmommy View Post
I just recently found out that after my 7 month old son had suffered from muscle spasms (after the eeg and neurologist) that MIRALAX is the culprit! it CAN cause seizures, spasms and tics... we only used it for a week. doesnt take much
Gretchen did the twitching and spasms stop yet for your son??and if so how long did it take?? For my son it hasnt stopped yet and we stopped the miralax over 3 weeks ago ( he was barely on it for 2 weeks.) I
Reply With Quote
February 24th, 2014, 07:45 PM
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 1
My daughter (born April 25, 2013) who is now 10 months old, was prescribed 1tsp.of Miralax when she was 6 months old. In January of this year, we had gone to the ER at South Baldwin two times in a row. The first time, they wrote it off as constipation and told us to give her 2-3 tsp. of Miralax per day (if she needs it). I only give it to her once a day and if she hasn't had a good stool in a day or two, I give her 2 teaspoons. I'm sitting over here literally trying to stay calm, because of this forum. I'm afraid it will cause her a lot of problems, because I was told by her PED and the ER to do this for her constipation issue and this would be the best way to relieve her. She's not doing anything out of the ordinary, but I do notiice that she doesn't urinate until she wakes up. Very seldom does she ever wake up with a wet diaper. I give her 6oz. of juice daily. Three meals a day, morning: oatmeal, lunch: veggies, fruit and/or yogurt, dinner: meat and veggies with fruit.so it's not like she's not getting the nutrition she needs to help her have a stool. I'm switching her off Similac Total Comfort and seeing if Gerber will help. I've had her on Soy, Sensitive, and Advanced. My husband is getting Benefiber tonight. My question is, will this cause any future disorders or problems? Will this affect her health? Please respond.

Thank you,
Reply With Quote
December 21st, 2014, 03:28 PM
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 2

Well ladies, reading the preceding posts made me weep, bitterly, for my children, and myself, and you and all your children; if your child is having gastrointestinal issues that aren't responding to the treatment your doctor recommends, please pay careful attention:

We have four children, ages 23, 19, 10 & 9. When our 10-year old son was seven, he experienced an abrupt change to his stooling habits; specifically, he suddenly began soiling his pants, and it black and smelled toxic. My husband and I didn't even know what to make of it, for he had been potty trained normally like the rest, and he was otherwise normal behaviorally. He also experienced episodes of acute abdominal pain and vomiting. I thought he might be constipated and gave him some chewable Pedialax, which had no effect.

I took him to our family doctor, whom we had selected from a list of providers based on proximity to our home; since he was in family practice, I selected him to be our family's doctor, and I never had any complaints with him prior to this. When I told him what was going on with our son though, he said it was constipation, and suggested I give him MiraLAX.

So I did, and it affected no change other than making our son very nauseous. We continued with this for a time, and of course all the while, the warning label on the box had me worried: "do not use for more than seven days", "not recommended for use in children", "if this product fails to produce a bowel movement or causes cramps and pain, discontinue use". Those types of things, and I wondered if I should continue to give it.

So, we went back to the doctor, who very breezily explained to me that our son had "childhood fecal retention disorder", that he was "holding in his poop" because he had suddenly become "afraid to poop", and he directed me to give our son a dose of MiraLAX in the morning and a dose of DulcoLAX at night. This diagnosis really irked me, and I just really knew that it was wrong. But I went ahead and did what the doctor ordered...again, with seemingly no effect, no change, no improvement.

I would bring our son back to the doctor several times; sometimes, I would take him to the urgent care facility, and no one could tell me what to do. The suggested remedies become more invasive as I tried suppositories and then enemas, following the doctors' instructions -- nothing worked. The soiling continued, requiring our son to wear pull-up pants every day. This basically went on for nearly three years, and when I questioned it, the doctor continued to ascribe a behavioral cause for our son's symptoms. I, too, was told to increase the amount of MiraLAX, and that he might have to take it for the rest of his life.

My research indicated that the symptom of black stools is either because of an iron-rich diet, bismuth medications, or bleeding in the small bowel; it also indicated humans cannot exert any control over the small bowel. We asked our son to describe what was going on; of course, since the topic was all about poop, he was embarrassed and hesitant to talk about it...but also because it was difficult for him to find the words to accurately explain what he felt was going on inside of him...after all, he's still a child, not Doogie Howser, MD.

My son and I are/were very close, I loved him so much, we had such a good relationship, we had a very close bond. All I wanted for our son was for him to feel better and to go back to how he had been before this suddenly happened to him. By now, he was getting ready to enter the fifth grade, and after that it's middle school, and I just wanted him to be free of this health complaint. We agreed that the next time he had acute abdominal pain, we would go to the emergency room at the hospital so they could look at it with all their diagnostic machines and whatnot and figure out once and for all what was wrong and fix it.

When it happened again, I took him to the local "Childrens Hospital." They asked, "what brought you here today" and as I began to provide the history and describe my son's symptoms they began to look at me funny...quizzical and skeptical. They decided to admit him, and that was the beginning of 12 days in Hell. They ignored everything I said, putting him on a clear liquid diet and literally pumping Go-Lytely into him to "clean him out." He got so sick, vomiting ceaselessly, and still no poop.

Occasionally, they would ask me what *had* worked, and I told them a "milk and molasses" enema. They jumped on it, and administered a rapid succession of enemas, and my son was in so much pain and so sick, and nothing worked to "clean him out", there was still so much stool inside of him according to the x-rays. The decided to do a manual disimpaction, believing that a lump of hard stool must be blocking things up...but that was not the case either. They subjected him to an endoscopy that was just...I don't know. It was so *aggressive* when they couldn't get it to go down past this one section of him stomach, they just kept trying to force it through, and it didn't work. My son got so sick as they poke and prodded him everywhere in every way, trying to force the laxatives down, even though I had already explained that none of the oral laxatives had any effect.

My son lost so much weight; the staff kept urging me to leave the hospital for some "me time" and I didn't want to leave his side, I was just so afraid of him. The hospital assigned a "social worker" to us, a do-do bird who shadowed us everywhere we went. I did not fee free to take my son from the hospital.

In the time we were there, my son was placed under general anesthesia four times. When after everything they did my son continued to "not respond to therapy as we had anticipated" they said he was going to be there for at least five more day and ordered the placement of a PICC line for direct nutrition.

This PICC line went straight to his heart. They placed in the after noon of day 10. In the early morning hours of day 11 a nurse came in to flush out the line, and my son cried that it hurt. The nurse rolled her eyes, commenting on his "anxiety" -- she put in a call to the doctor, who gave her the go-ahead to give our son a dose of Ativan to calm him. And then she pushed the Ativan in and nearly killed him; she induced congestive heart failure, and my son almost died right in front of my face, and I will never forget the sight, I will never forget that moment.

I cried out that she had overdosed him and she denied that she had, and another nurse led me out of the room and told me if I didn't be quiet and calm down they would prevent me from re-entering the room. I assured them that I was perfectly calm and that if my son was going to die, I was going to be sure to watch him go and take note of everything I saw. I spent the next several hours holding my son, so afraid; after three hours of babbling and seizures he finally fell asleep.

In the morning, those quacks walked into the room all smiles, remarking on how great our son looked, and that they felt it was just a stomach bug and as soon as he passed some stool he'd be ready to be discharged!! I couldn't believe it. After some time, he passed a little orange-ish turd, and they shoved the discharge papers in my face to sign...but I recognized the smell, linked it to a smell I had detected on a stray kitten's poop...we had taken in this little stray kitten three years earlier...

Long story short, my research led me to wonder if my son had something called Helicobacter Heilmannii -- look it up, its a bacteria you can catch from your cat or your dog, and it causes all kinds of gastrointestinal disorder. It is treatable with a two-to-three week regimen of antibiotics and stomach acid reducers...but left untreated, it causes lymphoma of the gastric mucosa. I asked our doctor to test our son for it, and the test came back positive, and I was elated. Finally, a real diagnosis!

But the hospital had already started a horrible, nightmare train a'rollin...the doctors there claimed I had "medically neglected" my son, that if only I had given my son MiraLAX as the doctor had recommended, my son would never have had to come to the hospital at all; they reported me to child protection services and told them I had Munchausen's Syndrome by Proxy, and that I had deliberately sickened my son because I enjoyed the secondary attention I got from the doctors from my son's illness. CPS came and took our 10 year old son and our 9 year old daughter away. Two months after his removal, our son suddenly began stooling normally again, and everyone pointed to it like, "see, all we had to do was take him away from his mom, and he got better." But it was because of the antibiotics he had just finished taking before they removed him from our care...

And that was eight long months ago...we get one four-hour visit with our kids every month, and two phone calls per week...the dependency and neglect system is so corrupt and evil...CPS told my husband they would return the kids to him if he divorced me...we've been married 24 years...we miss our kids so much...the hospital and CPS have destroyed my whole life, my whole joy stolen from me and my heart and my whole world broken



medical kidnapping. look it up. don't let it happen to you and your family.
Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:21 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0