Log In Sign Up

Patrick Reese

Forum: 2009 Playroom


Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 27th, 2009, 10:41 PM
Brittanie's Avatar just me
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Littleton, CO
Posts: 43,573
So we got into the hospital and got all the paperwork put together and got my IV in by 9am. First try!! YEAH! That was so awesome. I don't think I've ever had an IV go in on the first try, so needless to say, I nearly kissed Audrey (my nurse). Then the Dr. came in and tried to break my water, but my cervix was too high, and so she said all it would do would cause me a lot of pain, so they would just start the pit to see if that would make Patrick come down some. So they started the pitocin around 10am. My doctor had a fairly busy day, so while she was watching my vitals from her office, I actually didn't see her again for QUITE a while. My pitocin was increased every half and hour, and I finally got another cervix check at 2:45pm: 3cm. I have to admit I cried. I was SO frustrated, because I started out at 2cm. After nearly 5 hours of labor, I had only progressed 1cm. And I was starving.

So, the Dr. showed up a little after 4pm and finally broke my water. I can't even tell you how much that hurt. At that point I was still only 3cm dilated, but I had gone up to 80% effaced. So I sort of had a melt down at that point. The water breaking had made the contractions SO painful, and I wasn't dilating. I hated that that much pain wasn't doing anything.

At around 6:20pm they checked my cervix again. I had already decided that if I was close to full, then I would just struggle through the contractions (which were bringing me to tears at this point, and 1 1/2 to 2 minutes apart), but if I hadn't progressed much again, then I would suck it up and get the epidural and pray that it was a better experience than my other two. But I KNEW I couldn't handle several more hours of those contractions. I was 4.5cm, 90%, and Patrick had moved from -3 to -2. So while it was progress, it wasn't enough for me, so I asked for an epi.

And that was WONDERFUL. Dr. Kim was so fabulous, and I could even still wiggle my toes, and feel when I was actually having a contraction, but it didn't hurt anymore. So I took a nap.

Unfortunately, around 8:30pm they noticed that Patrick's heartrate was dropping with every contraction. While it is normal for that to happen at the peak of contractions, they didn't like how much it was dropping by, or that it was taking him a little bit to recover from them (and my contractions were still 1.5-2mins apart). So they decided to put me on oxygen, have me switch positions (over and over and over), put internal monitors in to monitor both my contractions and Patrick's heartrate, and do an amnioinfusion (that's where they inject fluid into the uterus to "cushion" a bit more like the amniotic fluid would so that he wouldn't be as stressed by contractions). It wasn't working like they wanted it to, and right then, I had a feeling I was headed for a csection. DH and I talked about it a little bit, and I melted down crying again. So they checked me again at 9:45, just to see where we were at, and she called me "9.5cm" because I had a little lip on one side. Suddenly I had hope!! I was almost ready to push, so maybe I wouldn't have to have a csection anyway!

But he was still fairly high, so we decided to do some pushing to see if it would bring him down some and if he could tolerate it. It seemed to be working well, and after pushing for an hour, at 11:06 pm (after 13 hours of labor), Patrick arrived! He screamed immediately and it was SO wonderful. He was posterior, so that's why I pushed for an hour. He weighed 7lbs10.8oz and was 20.5in long.

Okay, so some pictures:

in labor, between contractions

And a video
Thanks to babydoll213 for the siggy! My kids' blog Cora's blog

Reply With Quote
February 28th, 2009, 10:06 AM
Christina(mommyof2)'s Avatar Army Wife
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: West Coast Florida
Posts: 11,757
aww congrats! adorable pics
Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:08 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0