So Annoyed (Abit of a Vent-long) (UPDATED)

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 8th, 2010, 12:55 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Adrienne21
Well, since I am on bedrest due to my health conditions that means I can't do much else other than play around on the computer or something similar. I was looking on the internet last night on the American Pregnancy Association website at one of the conditions that my doctor said I had, the Intrahepatic Cholestasis of Pregnancy (ICP). Well, I was going down the page just reading about how it happens and everything and I get down to the treatment part of the page. And in the notes about the treatment, it named a medicine that isn't supposed to be given anymore for ICP because it has very dangerous side effects (maternal hemorrhage and intracranial hermorrhage in the baby) because it acts like a blood thinner but it used to be the main method of treating ICP until more effective medications were found. And I was thinking, "Geez...that medicine sounds awefully familiar to me". I go look and see what my doctor had put me on for my condition and sure enough, they had prescribed this certain medication for me...and my doctor had admitted to me when he first said I had the condition that he wasn't overly familar with it.
I am already at increased risk for hemorrhaging due to a enlarged blood vessel I have deep in my brain (I gave my OBGYN documentation of the vein when I first got pregnant because my neurologist was extremely worried about me bleeding in my brain), and now I find out they are giving me a medicine that will increase that chance even more. So, needless to say, I was freaking out. I had been noticing that it takes me awhile to stop bleeding when it comes to testing for my blood sugar but didn't think too much of it. And the medicine really wasn't helping with the ICP symptoms.
Well, I called my doctor's office at 8:00 this morning and left a message for my doctor personally (I told them that I wanted to speak to him, not his nurse) because we had some issues with the between person (his nurse) the last couple of times we had questions. And who gives me a call back? His nurse. I explained to her what I have found and what it was saying, along with how I had been feeling (haven't been able to sleep, intense itching, fatigue, not hungry, bleeding easily) and she said, "I am sure that the doctor would never prescribe something that would be bad for your health. You just may have to tolerate this until the baby is born, just take the medicine as directed". Umm..no. After what I saw on the website, I looked at a bunch of other sites and they all said this medicine is no longer used for ICP and I will not take something that could endanger me and the baby. When I told her I was uncomfortable taking the medicine she said, "Well then, just don't take it and deal with the side effects". I told her then that I wanted to speak to the doctor personally about this and she said she would have him give me a call at the end of the day and hung up. I don't know what else I can do...I am really worried about the problem and my husband is now furious at the doctor's office (he wanted me to get someone to bring me up there and make them talk to me, but it just isn't in my nature to be that way). From all that I read, all the sites say that there is a much safier medication I can be taking and that they recommend as early a delivery as possible for the baby to prevent complications for the fetus. I would 'tolerate' it, if I thought they were doing all they possibly could to make sure everything is okay.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`
Well, I went and talked to my doctor today and he said he was sorry for how his nurse worded the phone call yesterday. He agreed to change the medicine after I expressed my concerns to him, though he did seem alittle annoyed (not really sure if at me or the situation in general since I'm not getting better). He then said if this medicine didn't work that he would start me on a oral steroid as the next step and also stated that he thinks it would be a good idea to go ahead and plan on delivering the baby when I am 37 weeks to avoid any potential complication.

Last edited by Adrienne21; February 9th, 2010 at 10:28 AM. Reason: *update*
February 8th, 2010, 01:13 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
That seems like a very serious issue and I'm surprised the nurse as so flippant about it. I hope your doctor does call you back to discuss this in more detail and immediately switches you to some other medicine to treat it.

February 8th, 2010, 01:15 PM
homeschooling mom of 2
Oh my... I'm so incredibly sorry and I can't imagine how scared you must be or how upset. I'm not sure what I would do, I'm pretty unconfrontational but over this I'd likely keep calling back and INSIST they get the doctor on the phone now.... or even start calling around for another OB if it came to that. Could you call your neurologist and let them know what is going on and see if they have anything to say in the interm (maybe another med they would even prescribe, or a referral to a new doc!)?

Please keep on top of the office and be sure to let the doctor know about how rude his nurse was! Let us know what happens!
February 8th, 2010, 02:50 PM
Amanda C's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Oh wow! I'd be upset too. It sounds like the nurse isn't taking her job seriously enough.

I'd talk to your OB directly and if he can't answer your questions ask him for a referral to a high risk OB.

February 8th, 2010, 02:58 PM
Shea131's Avatar Peyton Rylee's Mommy!!
I would definitely keep calling and insist that you speak with your doctor or insist that they fit you in for an appointment tomorrow to go over everthing in person! That is ridiculous that your nurse wasn't concerned in the slightest bit! I would be furious! Just keep calling until you get through to them!! KUP!

Thank you Quantum_Leap for my fabulous signature!!!
February 8th, 2010, 03:00 PM
TeamNick's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Wow, I would be really worried to.....HUGS

I would call back or call your neurologist. This is something that needs to be addressed.

Mommy to Evie and Isla Marie

February 9th, 2010, 10:29 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Adrienne21
Update in main post

February 9th, 2010, 10:36 AM
mylene169's Avatar Kaija and Kolbie's Mommy
Send a message via AIM to mylene169 Send a message via Yahoo to mylene169
I'm glad you got in to talk to your Dr. If he's any good at being a Dr. he'll do some research on his own and understand your concerns even more. I also think it's probably a good idea to start prepping for baby to be here sooner rather than later!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search