Log In Sign Up

Julie's birth story

Forum: 2010 Playroom


Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 5th, 2010, 02:42 PM
MommaLee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 8,986
On Tuesday, June 1, @ 6:20 am I woke up to a gush of fluid. Thinking my water broke I stayed on the toilet for a few minutes waiting for water to trickle but nothing did. I was pretty sure that I didn't pee myself but just though maybe it was odd discharge. Dh asked me if I was okay...told him what I thought and he said I should call the doctor. About 15 minutes passed and still nothing, so I assured dh that I'd call the doctor but I didn't think this was it. Dh went to work and I got up a few minutes later to get ready and I had another gush of fluid and this time as I sat on the toilet it started pouring. I called dh and told him I was pretty sure now it was my water and he had stopped down the street and was eating breakfast, so he picked me up a breakfast taco and came home.

I repacked a bag cause the one I had was small and off to the hospital we went. Got there and was told to go to the ER for admittance. Went there and a nurse from L&D got us a few minutes later. She did all my processing paperwork first and then did a swab to check for amniotic fluid which it was positive so they set me up in a room. We actually didn't get one of the new suites because they were full, but we got the last room that was in the back of the old area....we could hear lots of construction as the workers worked on the new area for L&D but we were secluded back there.

Since I wasn't having any contractions that I could feel and I was still at 50% effaced and 1 cm dialated they put the pitocin on. So we sat and waited and dh left for awhile during lunch while the magic was working. A little before 3pm I was check and was at 3.5-4cm. I didn't know how to gauge the pain of contractions cause I couldn't compare it to anything so on the nurses recommendation I requested an epidural...I told her that I'd say the pain was about a 7...but again I really didn't know what to compare it to. The anesthesiologist came in moments later as he was down the hall giving one to another woman in labor and this was the worst part of my whole delivery. He kept hitting bone in my spine and it took 3 times to find a space in my spine to put the epidural in. I teared up during the 3rd time because I kept thinking something was going to go wrong since he couldn't get where he needed to. I was told that this anesthesiologists is one of the best in the area so that didn't help that he was having trouble either, but he finally got it.

About 5:30pm the oncall doctor came in since my doctor had been on call the three days before, she was taking the day-off. Who could blame her?! So luckily, it was the other female doctor in the office...and at that time I was dialated to a 7. Just after 7pm (shift change) I started feeling a little nauseated and the nurse gave me a puke bag and I started puking right away. The nurse told me that this is a sign that you are fully dialated. I was checked again and in fact, fully dialated. So we started the pushing shortly after. The baby was laying on my pelvic bone, so they kept telling me she was going to have a big conehead, lol.

So we started pushing at 8pm, of course, I couldn't feel anything but the nurse told me when and what to do and it was easy. Glad I didn't spend my time at birthing classes. I puked once again half way through the hour and then about 9pm she started coming and I was told to stop pushing and the oncall doctor was called. Six pushes later....little Julie arrived screaming at 9:11 pm. I had a 2nd degree tear and while the doc was putting in stitches, dh and the nurse took the baby to the nursery to be weighed. The baby was estimated at 8lbs by the oncall doctor....turns out she was 6lbs 13.4 ounces which surprised the staff. Once they came back, dh left to go get dinner and I asked the doctor if she wanted to hold her, in which she replied "yes...no one has ever asked me that before." As soon as she took the baby, I felt nauseated again and puked so they called in Zofran for me since that was the 3rd puking incident.

We stayed in that room for about 30 more minutes and then was wheeled to post-partum. After I got in the room, dh left for home to catch some zzzzz's. We got discharged on Thursday morning. Everything has been going great....she is healthy, no jaundice, and was doing so well bf'ing that the lactation consultant even bragged about her.

I've been feeling really pretty good, minimal bleeding....and I am NOT having to wear the hospital thick pads since coming home, thank goodness cause I can't stand these small ones. I've definitely had a good experience, better than I would've ever thought!!! That's it, thanks for reading.

Last edited by MommaLee; June 6th, 2010 at 01:15 PM.
Reply With Quote
June 5th, 2010, 03:24 PM
tasheroo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Binghamton, NY
Posts: 2,838
Great story! Congrats!

Reply With Quote
June 5th, 2010, 07:46 PM
momtothe3rdpower's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 3,647
Yay for a labor success!!! Good job, mama!
Reply With Quote
June 6th, 2010, 01:35 AM
Boble's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,716
congrats on a great labour!
Me: 28 DH: 34 DS: 10 DD: born 14th June 2010 3 angels 11/00. 07/08. 01/09

Thank you kiliki for my gorgeous siggy!
Reply With Quote
June 8th, 2010, 07:25 AM
sugarloafbaby's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Ohio
Posts: 3,101
Mommy to 2 girls , 6/26/10 & 12/31/11

Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:47 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0