Log In Sign Up

Evan Dale's Birth Story

Forum: 2010 Playroom


Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 27th, 2010, 11:07 AM
KerMommy5's Avatar Veteran
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 335
Hi All! This has taken me quite a while to post but I've been out at my mom and dad's house and then at my MIL's house since the birth so have only gotten a chance to post now.

Started out on Friday the 18th at about 7:30. Started having consisent contractions (not very painful) and they got progressively stronger (still not bad) for about 2 1/2 hours before we decided to head to the hospital (since we are a little over an hour away). We arrived at the hospital around 11 and got checked in and the monitors put on. Of course, contractions slowed WAY down as soon as I got hooked up, but they said they would monitor me for an hour and see. Then all of a sudden they picked up and were really really close. They checked me and....nothing...no change from my wed appointment. I was still at a 2 and very high. So the nurse said, lets see what happens and after she comes back she would get me up and have me walk. She went to check on another patient and a few minutes later a nurse hustles in and says "baby isn't happy". I knew what this meant since my DD had heart decels during labor as well. Unfortunately this was a lot worse...what seemed like 10 minutes (don't know how long in actual time) I was flipped, my belly was pushed, I got the oxygen mask, 3 other nurses came in, I had an IV shoved in my arm, the nurse yelled to call the DR asap. Needless to say I totally panicked and freaked out. Finally they got his heartrate to stabilize and the DR arrived. She told me if this continued and kept happening, they would knock me out completely and do a c-section. Since I wasn't progressing on my own, my husband asked if we were going to be sent home and they said absolutely not....we were going to be having this baby.

I had to lay on my left side for hours and I was SO uncomfortable....but everytime I moved his heartbeat went down. They got me up to use the bathroom and by the time I got back in bed, he had another decel...not as bad this time but enough for them to say that I needed to use a bedpan from then on out....ugh. They started pitocen at a VERY low dose to see how it would affect the baby and monitored me very closely. By 7am a new nurse came on and since he had been stable for so long I was able to get up to use the bathroom again without it effecting him....I was so relieved. He did really well after that with only a few decels that were quickly fixed with going back on my left side. I started to feel the contractions getting painful and felt some gushing (my water broke on its own and they inserted an internal monitor to get a better read of his heartrate). At 11:30am I was 3 1/2 cm but fully effaced and low, so I got the epidural. At 12:05pm I couldn't believe I was starting to feel pressure....I didn't think it could be that fast so I asked her when she was going to check me again and she said 12:30. By the time 12:20 came along I had my sister go tell her that I needed to be checked. Yep, I was fully dialated !

The next part is a little bit of a blur because it seemed to happen so fast. I pushed and pushed and was making great progress but towards the very end, started running out of gas and couldn't seem to get him out. Well them the monitor started getting slower and slower. I just stared at the dr reading her face and wondering what she was going to do next. She told my nurse that we had a cord issue and to get the vacuum just in case. Heartrate is still going down and down, just listening to the monitor so slow was the scariest thing that has ever happened to me. I pushed with all my might cuz I knew he needed to come out NOW. I just could not get him out, it was like he was stuck. Finally the dr was tired of messing around and used the vacuum and he was out in two pushes. He had the cord wrapped around his neck and the dr removed it. He was put on my belly and cried and it was the best sound in the world.

Evan was born at 12:54pm weighing 7lbs 4oz 19 1/2 in. He is doing wonderful and is such a great baby. I am so thankful for everything turning out okay. I've got a major case of the baby blues though, I think because of the trama. I am worried and anxious all the time. I can't get it out of my head the what if's....what if they would have sent us home before the heart decel? The dr and nurse told my husband that with the first heart decel they knew that the cord was probably around his neck. What if I didn't have contractions that night, I wasn't set to be induced until the 23rd. I'm trying to cope with the PPD and it seems to get a little better each day.

Thanks for reading my extremely LONG birth story! I'm so glad to hear of all of our Junebugs births and look forward to a fun playroom!


Reply With Quote
June 28th, 2010, 09:30 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,971
Congrats on your baby boy! That must have been very tramatic. Luckily your bay boy is here safe and sound!
Reply With Quote
June 28th, 2010, 10:50 AM
mommykristina's Avatar mommy to 3!!
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Albuquerque,NM
Posts: 1,854
Send a message via AIM to mommykristina
Congrats! I'm sorry about the birth, i went through the same thing with DS1, he had the cord wrapped around his neck 2x, and i thank god every day that he decided to come 3wks early, it's scary, but just know that he's fine and healthy!

Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:53 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0