Log In Sign Up

Kya Audrey's Birth Story ~**Difficult Birth**~

Forum: 2010 Playroom


Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 30th, 2010, 06:43 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,629
Our story starts on 9/21 at 7am. I reported to the hospital and was taken back asap. they inserted the foley buld to get my cervix to a full 4cms. During this time they also strted the pitocin drip. Now I'm not going to get too specific with times because even though I updated everyone well that day its all a bit fuzzy now. Once I was at a full 4cms they broke my water. I can't remember how long it was after that I asked for an epidural but I think I was 6cms. When they came in to do the epidural I thought "thank God some relief!!"...NOPE!!! The medication they put in my back to numb me so they could put in the epiduraal did NOT work!! So on their first try I screamed (out of my control the scream just came out) I felt evey time thy tried to tap the needle in my spine. At first the doctor kept saying"just a little pressure"... said "No pressure...just pain!!!". She then asked me to describe the pain aand when I did she must have relized becaused she told them to get the needle out NOW!!!! They then gave me a triple dose of the medication to numb the area then started again...however...it took them 4 more tries to get it. If u look at the spots on my back now 2 of them aren't even on my spine..so I don't know what they were aiming for.

Once I got the epidural I felt better for about an hour or two...then my whole left side just be came un numb. If it would have been just 1spot then maybe I could have handled it but it was the WHOLE side. So they called them back up and they injected an extra dose of the original medicaton into my epidural...this time it didn't fully num the left but brought some relief for the next 4 or so hours...but it did start wearing off again.

After 28 hours of painful labor..I had only made it to 8cm. My water had been broken for a long time and I began to get a fever so after running some antibiotics in my IV and getting my fever down they started talking about csection. I had een awake for over 32 hours and hadn't ate in almost 40 hours...I was tired...drained and in a lot of pain so I decided to give her another hour and then do a csection.

During my section they were having a hard time getting Kya out...FOB later told me that they were yanking Kya out u could see my body being lifted off the table. Then while they were stapling me shut I screamed again and told them I could feel everything (medicine weaaring off again) so they put me to sleep quickly. The next thing I remember is waking up in recovery room and crying because I wanted my baby who I didn't get to really see too much of before they put me down. However she was in the nursery getting an IV of antibiotics because of the fever I had so soon before birth.

Kya was completely healthy (Thank God) but I was not so lucky. I came in here to ask u ladies abut my swelling because it was so bad and everyone kept saying to go to the doctor. Seeing I was still in the hospital and the doctors were always checking my csection wound so I figuured it was all ok. However u ladies got me thinking (thank u by the way)and ii kept on asking them o check my wound...it started feeling hot and had this red ring around my whole body where it was...finally they took the staples out to check it (only after 4 days of me pretty much asking every nurse and doctor on every shiift change about it) and it split open in 3 spots. Now by this point it shouldn't have done this..it should have been almost healed. So they didn't even check it well and just assumed it was infected. They left the 3cm deep wound unclosed and put a wet/dry dressing on it. For those that don't know they stick wet gauze down in it...cover it and then 12 hours later take them out. When they pull them out dry(or more dry) it doesn't stiick to healthy flesh butsupposedly pulls out the dead flesh or something. Then they just repeat this process every 12 hours until ur healed and it can take a month. It doesn't have to hurt too bad but most doctors aren't so gentle when shoving the stuff down in the wound...so in my case it was painful. Well after 2 days of hurting me with this another doctor came in and said it wasnt infected but instead it had a bloodclot and fluid up under one of the internal stitches they did. So the doctor undid the stich and I felt this hot liquid come gushing out of me (by the way..they only gave me a lil oral medication to "relax me" when they did all this so it was also not too nice. At this point my wound wad now 6cms deep (omg ewww) they told me they were gonna leave it open andand contine wet/dry dressings. They then said they needed to teach one of my loved ones how to change it because they were sending me home the next day!!! They set up an appointment for a home care nurse to com to my house andd put on me this thing called a wound vac. Wound vacs are these things where they put this sponge down in ur wound...seal it tight so no air leaks...then attach a tube to it and then to this lil macine. The machine then sucks the drainage out of the wound alll day. It supposedly makes it heal better and much faster. However u can't turn it off for more than 2 hours a day. The machine fits into a lil purse like thing that u have to carry with u everywhere. U can't even take showers (sponge baths are all).

So here I am finally at home with a very traumatic birth and a huge open wound...with this tube coming out of me to a lil machine..I have to have help even sitting down to use the restroom. I'm in a ton of pain because I refuse to take as much pain meds as they want me to because I am bfeeding. I still jump up every night to take care of my lil one and spend all day being a new mommy. The homecare nurse told me me I'm such a rockstar lol because most people in my condition can't get up out of bed. I do get emotional and cry sometimes. I think its because I feel like I was cheated...I didn't get a good memory in my birth and its so hard for me to care for my lil one. I get upset with myself when I'm in so much pain and it takes me longer to get to her when she cries.

I try to remember that when I was in the hospital I met more than one person who lost their babies or had unhealthy babies. I know how lucky I am that Kya was healthy and that I was the one who had to be in pain and not her!!! I am so thankful to hold my baby girl no matter how much pain I'm in...I refuse to let this stop me from doing what every mom can.

It has been a hard road and will be hard for a lil while longer but I am thankful and count my blessing daily.
Reply With Quote
October 1st, 2010, 10:37 AM
mrsdaiwa24's Avatar Amy, soon-to-be-mama of 2
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The Midwest
Posts: 10,073
Wow -- you definitely have a difficult birth story. I'm so glad to see that Baby Kya is alright. I hope you start feeling better soon -- take care of yourself mama!!!
Thank you JAIDYNSMUM for my adorable new siggy!
Reply With Quote
October 1st, 2010, 02:54 PM
alethia's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Posts: 18,623
Glad Kya is ok! Sorry it was such a difficult birth - but she's here and you're ok too! Rest up and hopefully you'll be feeling better soon!
Reply With Quote
October 2nd, 2010, 06:33 AM
Daphinae's Avatar Sande
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 711
Oh Jenna!! I'm so sorry that went so badly for you!

The good part is that Kya is completely healthy so you know you don't have to worry about her. Just relax and heal up! I'll be thinking about you.


Reply With Quote
March 12th, 2011, 07:54 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 32,940
Sorry you had such a tramatic birth experience. I bet all her smiles make up for it though.
Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:38 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0