Log In Sign Up

Eris' Birth Story - 1st baby, natural, hospital

Forum: 2010 Playroom


Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 7th, 2011, 02:37 PM
a13xandra's Avatar Alex, mum to Eris
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Renton, WA
Posts: 337
Send a message via ICQ to a13xandra Send a message via AIM to a13xandra Send a message via MSN to a13xandra Send a message via Yahoo to a13xandra Send a message via Skype™ to a13xandra
Video of me in labour: YouTube - Labour of Love Birth Dance

I had the textbook-perfect pregnancy, from the winter solstice to the autumnal equinox, despite having polycystic kidney disease. I was extremely physically active throughout, including taking a Dancing For Birth prenatal class. Since I was Group-B Strep positive, I was instructed by my Family Physician to call as soon as my water broke, which it did with an audible popping sound at one-forty in the morning on my due date. After calling my doctor to describe the orange fluid leak, I woke my husband at about three in the morning to head to Swedish First Hill hospital. After we checked into triage, more amniotic fluid gushed out in their bathroom, causing me to be responsible for closure of their bathroom for bio-hazard clean up for the rest of the night.

I napped between mild contractions until seven thirty-three in the morning when I was checked and my cervix was found to be 3-4 centimeters dilated and 70% effaced already, qualifying me for a Birth Suite! My doctor told me to walk around for two hours, which I did, and by the time I was checked again in the Birth Suite at eleven ten in the morning, I was 4 centimeters dilated and 100% effaced with the baby at 0 station. I danced during contractions, later retreating to rocking in a rocking chair between them. My doula arrived on the scene and pampered me with back-rubs for the rest of my labour. As the endorphins kicked in, the world seemed surreal, and reality melted away, but not in a bad way; More like in a "Yellow Submarine" sort of way! By nine after two in the afternoon, I was 6 centimeters dilated after sitting in the rocking chair listening to movies, and my doctor recommended the jacuzzi tub, which slowed contractions but made them far more productive! At three twenty-nine in the afternoon, my uterus simply started pushing on its own. My doula whispered softly that she was going to tell my doctor I was having the "urge to push" and that I would then be surrounded by a lot of people and noise and to just stay inside myself.

I was surprised to be found to be 10 centimeters dilated, since I was expecting the feeling of "giving up" or wanting pain medications that was described during Transition in all the books I'd read. Those thoughts had never crossed my mind, and I remained relaxed and in great spirits. They put up a support bar over the bed so that I could squat and push. My doctor donned booties and joked that she always regretted it when she didn't. Foreshadowing of the splashy event about to take place! At a potty break to reduce the physical barrier of my full bladder, my external intermittent fetal monitoring briefly registered a heart deceleration, which frightened me, but switching to a hands-and-knees position solved it.

The two and a half hours of pushing really didn't hurt until the last minute, and felt good, albeit tiring! Strangely, I did decide to yell during this stage, despite the great reduction in pain, sort of like a war-cry! My husband dozed in spite of it all. In between contractions, I shouted for somebody to order me some oatmeal, which I ate after the birth. At six thirthy-two in the evening, all 6 pounds and 13 ounces of her shot out like a baby horse! She was 19.5 inches long. Unfortunately, she had swallowed a bit of meconium, and I had significant tearing, but we recovered quickly and we still got out of there after our standard 24-hour watch period. My daughter also punched a nurse right in the face during her first bath!
Reply With Quote
January 8th, 2011, 10:32 PM
(Mayhem)'s Avatar ~!Theresa!~
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 5,174
Send a message via MSN to (Mayhem)
Loved it! Thank you for sharing!

Reply With Quote
January 9th, 2011, 08:28 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 5,615
Beautiful birth story. WTG for doing it natural.
Reply With Quote
February 3rd, 2011, 07:58 AM
mrsdaiwa24's Avatar Amy, soon-to-be-mama of 2
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The Midwest
Posts: 10,073
Loved the part about Eris punching the nurse! Good for you for doing it natural!
Thank you JAIDYNSMUM for my adorable new siggy!
Reply With Quote
March 12th, 2011, 03:31 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 32,940
What a tiny LO! Congrats
Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:09 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0