VBS

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 11th, 2010, 02:33 PM
Super Mommy
Okay ladies this may seem SO MINOR, but I am stressing about it...

I signed up ds 1 (he will be 4 at the end of this month) for VBS (Vacation Bible School- it last for about 3 hours every morning) this coming week, but he doesn't want to go. Lately I haven't even been able to get him to go to children's church. He loves playing with other kids, he isn't shy. I am guessing it is because there have just been a lot of changes the past few months with his dad being deployed & us traveling to IL for a month.

Last Sunday I tried to drop him off at children's church but he was so sad and cried... and so being the hormonal pregnant woman I am I almost started crying and said he could come sit with me. He does a good job sitting thru the service, they just do so much fun stuff for the kiddos I hate for him to miss out.
I am the type I usually just drop them off let the cry and they are over it in 2 min, but he has been taking at least 10 min to settle down...

Here's the issue. I think VBS is SOOO much fun and I don't want him to miss out- it is only once a year, but if it is going to be too much for him right now I don't want to force it, he can always go next year...
If my husband was home to watch ds2 I would just go hang out the first day with him and he would probably be fine, but I don't think I have the energy for that...

Yes I know I am pathetic!

July 11th, 2010, 05:01 PM
Miracle BabyBlessing's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I was like your son at that age. My mom used tough love too to make me go to ballet and after one class I didn't want her there! I seriously locked myself in the bathroom!!! lol. If he still hates it after one day, maybe he doesn't have to go again? Can you help out with VBS for a little while so he knows it is okay? I had to learn I was a "big girl" and since it was embarrassing for a "big girl" to cry in public, I quickly stopped that! When I taught VBS and dance classes myself, if children didn't want to be there I would ask them to help me with stuff and usually worked. For VBS, I would say, "Jesus wants you here. Isn't that nice?" Maybe if you spoke to the teacher, he or she would include DS more like that?

Welcome to our Baby Girl Born January 19th, 2011!!!

(07/04, 02/06, 08/07, 12/07, 01/08, 09/09, 03/10)
July 11th, 2010, 07:36 PM
blessedx7's Avatar I <3 my big family!
I'm sure it has a lot to do with all the changes. My kids are the same way. They feel much more insecure when there are a lot of changes going on. In my experience it's usually better to say, "Mommy will be back at 12 o'clock...what time will I be back? Right, 12 o'clock" and then leave. We chant this several times going there. Even if they can't tell time it seems to give them the confidence of knowing a concrete time that I will return. Or if you could find out what they do last, ie music time, you could say, "Mommy will be back after you do music." It's so hard deciding what's best emotionally for them. I have ranged from totally letting the child lead to the opposite. It just depends on the child. I tend to now lean more toward teaching the child that even in uncertain circumstances, mommy will keep her word and keep him safe. Being away from you for 3 hrs and then seeing you return at the end each day just like you promised strengthens that feeling of security every day more and more.
ages 15, 13, 11, 8, 8, 4 & Kerrigan born 1-14-11
Our Family Blog: www.thecashcrew.blogspot.com

Kerrigan Elizabeth born on her duedate- 100% natural, hypnobabies, VBA2C

July 11th, 2010, 08:00 PM
keekopeeko's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think no one would probably mind if you stayed even with your second child... i know at our local VBS they would have been perfectly cool with that...

my 4 yr old LOVED VBS..

~Em

July 11th, 2010, 09:46 PM
Super Mommy
Thanks ladies for your thoughts... I am thinking I will just take him and sit with him for awhile and see how it goes. I am sure they won't mind me staying- hope they don't care about a one year old running around with the rest of the kids! I just hope he doesn't start crying... I just can't take it right now... Isn't that funny normally I RARELY cry now that I am pg I cry over EVERYTHING!

July 12th, 2010, 05:43 AM
Erikajo's Avatar Mommy to 4 Blessings
Awww, first off this isn't minor to us moms! We understand!

Secondly, I think it's a great idea to bring him and stay with him. And if you can't do that, I think it's ok to skip VBS too. Like you've said, he's had a lot of changes and you're smart to appreciate that and not push him if he's not ready right now. It sounds like you have a good handle on things and are doing a fantastic job with him.

Oh and I don't know if I knew your DH was deployed, but thank you both SO much for your sacrifice and service for our country. Hang in there!

Erika, mommy to 4 blessings -
Nathan (8), Emily (4), Joshua (22 months) and Luke (1.9.11)

My Blog - Musings From a SAHM

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search