Fur-Babies

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 12th, 2010, 03:59 AM
IAMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Do you have any pets?

How do you think they will react to you bringing baby home?

Are you doing anything to get them ready for the change?

BTDT Moms - any advise for new mom's in regards to preparing your furbabies for the new babies arrival?
July 12th, 2010, 04:32 AM
AmieK623's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Do you have any pets? Yes, 2 dogs ( a St. Bernard and a Pug)

How do you think they will react to you bringing baby home? Pretty good. They're both awesome with DD, so I can't imagine that we'll have any problems.

Are you doing anything to get them ready for the change? Nope

BTDT Moms - any advise for new mom's in regards to preparing your furbabies for the new babies arrival? With DD, Eric brought something home from the hospital that she was wrapped in. We only had our Pug then, and I don't really think it made any difference. She was very curious when we brought DD home, so we just let her check her out while she was in the pack'n play. (The way it was set up, the dog could go up the steps and look down into the packn play and see her). Eventually, she stater sitting on my lap when I was holding DD ( I never let her lick her or anything) and just became comfotable with her being around. Our St. Bernard came when DD was just about a year old. He is very good with her, but can be obnoxious b/c he's a huge puppy! I really think that it has a lot to do with the temperment of the animal. Both of our dogs are pretty relaxed, generally, and rarely bark. I've never seen either one bare their teeth or become agressive with another person or dog (unless they are taking food from each other).

July 12th, 2010, 04:45 AM
RayneLynn's Avatar Pregnant Tattoo Artist
I am a first-time mom, but a do know a lot about this particular subject. I have had many dogs growing up, and I have been going to and teaching training classes since I was 12 years old. A lot of people seek out professional trainers for the first time when they have a baby on the way or a dog that behaves strangely around the little one of the family. I have a 4-year-old greyhound named Audrey. She is soooo awesome with my nephew, like one of those dogs that are like "babysitters" in children's books. She lets him pull her feet, tail, and ears, and knows to vacate the premises if he decides to throw things at her and whatnot. In turn we reinforce what is the right way to treat a dog when they are around each other, by taking his hand and showing him how to pet softly. You'd be surprised how fast children that are around animals from day one learn about this ( I was). Most dogs are not as compliant as Audrey, and you have to supervise all interaction closely anyway. Since we are planning a home birth, I have a feeling she will know intuitively what the baby is and how to behave...if you bring the baby home from the hospital it's best to show them an item that smells like the baby so they get used to it...some dogs do not like uninvited guests of the strange-smelling/crying variety. When my nephew was first born, all Audrey wanted was to sleep next to the crib in the baby's room. Sooo cute! She loves it now that he can interact with her and jumps for joy when she hears his name and we pull out the leash to go over there. However, small dogs can feel a bit more threatened by babies when they start crawling around. It may invade their sense of territory. It's important to make sure any dog's food and water bowls cannot be messed with by a baby, as many dogs who are otherwise trustworthy will become food-aggressive and try to "check" the baby as if they were a puppy with a nip or growl. Never allow a baby to crawl around a dog when they are eating a treat or chewing a toy or bone. Some trainers will instruct you to take food out of your dog's mouth and correct them if they growl or bite you to prepare for this...I think it's a could way to get bitten. If your dog is a puppy this may be a good idea, but not an adult dog, in my opinion. Really, it's impossible to know how each dog will react. One that's good with most children might show resentment and jealousy to YOUR baby if they are used to monopolizing your attention. They are so like siblings that way! If you pick up your dog a lot now is the time to let them be on the floor more as this can be a major cause of conflict when you divert your holding behavior to the baby. Many people find that having someone walk the dog daily helps a lot, even if you can't do it yourself for a month or two, because a tired dog is a well-behaved dog! Now CATS...someone will have to take over on that one, they are weird alien beings as far as I'm concerned
July 12th, 2010, 06:00 AM
Tobi Bateman's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Do you have any pets? 2 dogs (bernese mountain dog & rottie/bordercollie) and 2 cats.

How do you think they will react to you bringing baby home? They should be fine. They're around our nieces & nephews all the time.

Are you doing anything to get them ready for the change? Not really.

July 12th, 2010, 06:02 AM
Platinum Supermommy
We have 1 cat named Fletcher. I think he'll be fine having a new baby around since he's already used to Lexy. I probably won't do anything to prepare him....haha....I think he'll be fine.

Thank you Kiliki... for my adorable signature!
July 12th, 2010, 06:09 AM
Jaxon04NTaylor08's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have 2 puppies, A pomeranian named Dakota and a Cockapoo named Keira. We are trying to find a home for Keira. I think Dakota will be fine because he is fine with my other 2 kids.

July 12th, 2010, 06:44 AM
yeahokay31's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Do you have any pets? 4 cats. Its the feline brady bunch. DH had 2 when we met, I had 1...we adopted one together...blended family!

How do you think they will react to you bringing baby home? Think they all will be fine except my DH's oldest, she's 8 yrs and hisses at my 2 yr old nieces.

Are you doing anything to get them ready for the change? Dunno yet.

BTDT Moms - any advise for new mom's in regards to preparing your furbabies for the new babies arrival?

A new mom, but I watched my sister go through this with her two dogs. The dogs reacted beautifully to my twin nieces, however the parents did not to the dogs. The dogs were allowed everywhere, spoiled, given plenty of attention, then when they girls came they were banished outside and constantly yelled at for really nothing at all. It was horrible to watch, the dogs were so sad and confused and still are. My SIL basically did the same thing to her dogs too. So my advice is to please remember that the furbabys need love too!! And will probably react as well as you continue to treat them.

July 12th, 2010, 06:58 AM
Regular
We have one cat...planning on giving her lots of special attention too so she doesn't feel like we forgot her when the little one comes. She's a sweet cat so hopefully there won't be any problems!
July 12th, 2010, 06:58 AM
~LaurenNoel~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have a Catahoula Leopard Dog, Louie. He is an angel with Wesley. They are best buds, so I am not worried about another baby.

Louie sleeping with a stuffed animal

................ ...

Wesley (7.16.09) Severe GERD, FTT, Gastroparesis, Sensory Processing issues, Tube fed, (G tube currently), suspected Mitochondrial Disease, trialing Gastric Stimulator. Nissen Fundoplication 7/2012
Ruby (2.16.11)
Nissen Fundoplication and Hiatal hernia repair 10/25/11
July 12th, 2010, 07:10 AM
Veteran
I have an 8lb miniature dachshund and 2 horses. The horses don't live at home, but I am still riding as long as I can until I'm huge and uncomfortable Luckily my horses are safe.

I think my doggie will be quite jealous. She is very spoiled and gets so much attention and love, and never leaves mine or my husband's sides. I think it will take her a bit to get used to the attention being on the new baby and not her!
July 12th, 2010, 07:14 AM
Mirandabelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We have a cat at the moment, and she tolerates Zeke well, we got her after he was born.

I think I'm going to have to set up the baby's bassinette and bouncer and everything in the next few weeks and start to teach her that she is not allowed in/on them... it will take her that long to learn! (I exaggerate somewhat, but she isn't very bright, nearly 7 months here and she still hasn't learned she is not allowed on the kitchen table )

Generally though, I think she'll be fine as long as we let her check out the new LO and give him/her a good sniff. We'll have to watch her initially though, she's pretty pushy about affection and I don't want her sitting on my baby!

July 12th, 2010, 07:14 AM
Tobi Bateman's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I forgot that the one thing I still really need to teach Buddy (10 month old bernese mountain dog) is "Back Off". Jango (rott mix) knows that command, but Buddy really doesn't and being a very large breed dog with huge paws, he needs to learn to back up and watch where he's stepping. He can also be a bit nippy still, but it's mainly when he's excited/wound up and he is getting better about it.

July 12th, 2010, 07:40 AM
Mrs.Ajalele's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We have a German Shepard named Aimee and a black kitty cat named Hiro. My dog is six and my cat is three. They have both been around kids. My dog gets very very protective of children. When I used to babysit she would sit by them while they slept and wouldn't budge from next to them. She always has to be around them. Kind of cute My cat on the other hand acts completely indifferent to children. The only time I see a problem is when kids start going after him and grabbing his tail but even then he just meows and runs away. I hope it will be ok. I will not get rid of my animals I love them so much.

*Always loving and missing my best friend the mother of my beautiful Goddaughter **Marissa Sue** you are always in my heart Mar Mar!* Left this earth to go to Heaven June 22nd 2008*

July 12th, 2010, 09:44 AM
katinagj's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Do you have any pets?

A malamute mix, a Bengal cat, and another cat(tabby we got from friends who couldnt care for her anymore) Also have two turtles, but they don't count on these questions, lol.

How do you think they will react to you bringing baby home?

Sabre our bengal cat, I know will be perfect. He's sweet with everyone he meets. Our dog, I am a little worried about but know in the end it will work out and she will understand that the baby is a new part of the family. Our other cat however I'm not sure how that will go. We may have to keep her seperated from the baby. She's tried to scratch and bite kids that come over, and I'm just not sure how she will deal....

Are you doing anything to get them ready for the change?
I read up on this the first time I was pregnant. I got a lot of tips from people on dogster.com. One was to train the dog to stay off of a blanket on the floor, so that you could safel place the baby on the floor without the dog accidently walking over...another tip was to wear whatever baby lotion you are going to be using on the baby, because then the dog will get used to that smell and the transition may be easier, because she will recognize the scent on the baby. I haven't decided if I am going to try these yet.

9-2009. 10-2009. 3-2012. 5-2012. 8-2012.

My Ovulation Chart

My blog: http://www.homemakerontheverge.blogspot.com/
July 12th, 2010, 03:28 PM
Platinum Supermommy
we have a black lab puppy who is 9 months and a 1 year old siamese cat. both are exteemly close with our kids so i don't think we will have anything to worry about. they hear all the crying and such already lol. but my dog jumps up still when he gets excited so i will always be keeping an eye on him to make sure he doesn't get too close to baby!
July 12th, 2010, 04:03 PM
Baby 3.0's Avatar Surprised by #3!!
YEAKOKAY I totally agree with you and its terrible! I tell friends all the time, remember how much you loved them?? They are so sad and wonder why... Terrible just terrible!

Well you hit the jackpot here!

Do you have any pets? 4 cats and 3 dogs. yes I know...I love to rescue animals

How do you think they will react to you bringing baby home? Our 2 11yr old mutts will be fine, actually the siberan husky mix thinks she is a mother and will follow me around with the baby She will also watch visitors with "her" baby! She is so cute. Cats dont care other than smelling everything. We do have a 1yr old little fisty guy...not sure yet. He is part Chi. He thinks he is the boss...Very undecided about what to do with him. (keeping him for sure) I got him as a baby. I told DH this is my baby instead of having a baby!

Are you doing anything to get them ready for the change? NOPE! Just have everything set up!

BTDT Moms - any advise for new mom's in regards to preparing your furbabies for the new babies arrival? Bring some baby blankets to the hospital so DH/SO can bring them home. It gives the animals a chance to get the baby smell ect.. Before DD #1 we had everything set up for her and got a large baby. Dressed it up, rubbed baby lotion ect... Put it in the swing, carried it around and the dogs could care less. However when she did come home, they wanted to greet her with there huge snouts! Everything went fine I would put the dogs in the other room when she had tummy time
July 12th, 2010, 06:04 PM
Veteran
6 cats, a rabbit, and a horse.
Not sure about the cats we've had babies in the house once or twice for very short times, not sure how they will react
July 12th, 2010, 06:45 PM
Natalie1's Avatar Veteran
Do you have any pets? Oh my goodness yes...when I have the baby I will be out of the military and living at home with my mom...along with me and baby comes 3 cats So, there will be 5 cats, a dog, and 2 horses!

How do you think they will react to you bringing baby home? I have no clue about Hobie, my mom's dog. He may freak out when baby cries, as he is a very sensitive dog. He will probably just go in the basement and hang out by himself. As for the cats, not really worried as my nephews are always over there. BUT, my one little rescue girl does have front claws, so I will have to keep an eye on that.

Are you doing anything to get them ready for the change? No clue yet, I keep reading up on everyone's BTDT advice
Ava Victoria born 10 February at 6:04pm; 6 lbs, 6 oz and 19 inches long

July 12th, 2010, 08:31 PM
Libby22's Avatar Super Moderator
Do you have any pets? 2 dogs(shih tzus) and 1 cat

How do you think they will react to you bringing baby home? happy I hope

Are you doing anything to get them ready for the change? cat will be outside

My Ovulation Chart

missed m/c 28 march 2010- Toni 11 weeks CP 11 march 2015- Katie 4 weeks 10 May 2015 Lilly- 4 weeks CP blighted ovum 8 WEEKS 2017
July 12th, 2010, 08:43 PM
gratzie's Avatar Expecting #2!!!
I have 3 cats: 8 years old, 7 years old, and 15 months. The older 2 will be ok, the oldest is pretty lovable and generally good with kids. The middle cat is so skitish, but she LOVES to cuddle with us at night so I hope she will warm up to the baby. All the cats can be pretty cuddly and lovable (at times) so I hope there won't be much of a problem.

The kitten is the one I'm most worried about. He's a Norwegian Forest Cat, and they don't fully mature til 5-6 years old. So he is still very much a kitten! Sometimes when he plays with me he doesn't retract his claws fully and this terrifies me for when the baby comes. He will also play with any material/hair that moves and looks like a toy (actually, he thinks EVERYTHING is a toy lol), so yeah I'm kinda worried.

I guess what we will do is what everyone has suggested already; bring home a blanket with the baby scent, use a doll around the house to see how they adjust, etc. As far as the baby's room? The door stays shut at all times! And I'll have to keep an eye on the LO when the cats are around until I feel ok leaving them alone (but never at night ie when the baby is sleeping)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search