Had my frist Prenatal Visit.

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 14th, 2010, 09:13 AM
Hopingfor1soon's Avatar Expecting a Miracle!
Well I had my first actual prenatal appointment yesterday. It went very well. Of course we did the basic medical history. Then they tried using the Doppler to find the heartbeat, but she couldnt find it. She thought she had it and then lost it, so I got an Ultrasound to see the LO and the heartbeat again. Everything looks great. Then I got a giant bag full of information and coupons and free things...CRAZY! There is so much stuff in there...and finally I went and did my labs which was my least favorite part. Oh and I forgot to mention that they checked the size of my uterus also. But they did this internally and then pushed down on my tummy is that normal?

So all in all it went well. The only thing that really bothered me at all was not being able to hear the heartbeat on the doppler is that normal at 10 weeks? I have another appointment in 4 weeks at 14 weeks and my midwife said we should be able to hear it by then. Crossing my fingers!!

July 14th, 2010, 09:19 AM
angelsmom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am 10 weeks and 4 days and my doctor had a hard time finding it. she found it after like 4 minutes.

Z
July 14th, 2010, 09:20 AM
RinkMom's Avatar Super Hockey Mom
It is absolutely normal to not be able to hear the HB at 10 wks. My OB won't even try that early. I think it is more the 12-14 week point where it can be heard. At least they followed up with an US to reassure you. My OB doesn't have an US in his office.

And they do check outside for fundal height -- to see if the uterus is above the pelvic bone.

Sounds like a good appt.
July 14th, 2010, 09:53 AM
Hopingfor1soon's Avatar Expecting a Miracle!
Thanks ladies!! Im just counting down the days until my next appointment now! haha

July 14th, 2010, 09:56 AM
IAMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Totally normal not to hear the hb on a doppler at 10 weeks. My dr. couldn't find the h/b with cecil at 16 weeks, and I was very scared, but all was OK on the u/s. He was just hiding lol

So glad you had a good appt and got an extra peak at your lo!
July 14th, 2010, 10:11 AM
Spacey Stacy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
glad for your great appt and my OB did the push down on the uterus too..

July 14th, 2010, 10:14 AM
yeahokay31's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Its completely normal. There are so many factors which can affect the doppler, like position of the uterus or the amount of weight one carries around their stomach, thin women typically here the heartbeat sooner.

I actually rented an at home doppler to get me through between appointments when I'm feeling nervous. I'm 11 weeks and we can pick it up for about 3 seconds and then its gone. Apparently the sound bothers the baby (which is why I will only do it every four days) and they swim away and hide. I imagine once the kid is bigger and has less space to hide it will be much easier to find the beat.

Congrats on a good visit, may all your visits go just as well!

July 14th, 2010, 10:17 AM
Regular
congrats on a great appointment and seeing your LO again!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search