Are Convertible Cribs Worth It?

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 16th, 2010, 08:18 AM
Miracle BabyBlessing's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
After posting on the topic about what bought or in my case NOT bought, I started browsing at cribs. The convertible are so popular right now, but much more expensive and I wonder just how practical they really are? Has anyone used one beyond the crib stage? How was it? Is it worth the extra cost? How difficult is it to find the rails to make it a regular bed if they don't sell them at the crib store?

Welcome to our Baby Girl Born January 19th, 2011!!!

(07/04, 02/06, 08/07, 12/07, 01/08, 09/09, 03/10)
July 16th, 2010, 08:30 AM
Platinum Supermommy
We love ours! Austin is using it as a toddler bed and will continue to until we need the crib back for the baby. Some day once all the kids are out of the toddler bed stage will will use it as a head board and footboard. My Dd also used it through the toddler bed stage until we needed it for Austin I think the investment is well worth it. I also think the convertible cribs seem more sturdy..just my opinion though.
July 16th, 2010, 08:39 AM
Mom to 4 girls!!
We haven't used one. The girls went from crib to big bed because the next one needed the crib. Our youngest is in a toddler bed I bought on kijiji for $20. It is a storkcraft from Sears. I think if you don't plan to have anymore children then go for the convertible one, but if you are going to have more then stick with a standard less expensive crib.
Quinn Olivia Born at home Jan.13th, 2011, 7:37 am 9 lbs. 12 oz

July 16th, 2010, 08:44 AM
keekopeeko's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
ours is convertible... ive used it for a toddler bed with my first DD..never beyond a toddler bed i always had to give it to the next baby.. it comes with all the parts for changing it...

~Em

July 16th, 2010, 08:48 AM
okay, I don't feel so bad about liking the expensive one then! lol. I am not sure if God will bless us again or not (with another child)... THANKS, LADIES!!!

July 16th, 2010, 09:56 AM
Crafty Mama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
DD is in the toddler bed conversion right now, we just switched it at 13 months. She'll stay in it like that until the new baby needs the crib, and then she'll get a big girl bed. I don't think our crib was much more expensive than any of the other cribs that we looked at. It's a storkcraft (yeah, it's a dropside that was recalled, but now the drop side is removed). I want to think it was about $130 or so. It all depends on the use you plan on getting out of it. Some kids learn to climb out of the crib early on, and it's nice to be able to just convert it, instead of going out and hunting for a toddler bed. Especially if it's unexpected. In our case, DD wasn't climbing out, but we were moving, had to take her crib apart, and decided just to put it back together that way. And all the parts came with the crib for the toddler conversion (really it's just a few screws and a rail), but it didn't come with anything extra for the big bed conversion (using one of the sides as a headboard). I doubt we'd get that far with this crib anyhow, I'm sure we'll have enough babies to keep in it.

Thank you, AlexAiden Mommy for my awesome siggy!

July 16th, 2010, 10:39 AM
Erikajo's Avatar Mommy to 4 Blessings
We have a convertible crib and never used it for anything but a crib. When our babies/toddlers were old enough to move out of the crib, we bought them a twin sized mattress and put it on the floor. The crib then went on to the next baby. Even with this last baby, I doubt we'll use it as a bed. We'll probably give it away to a friend or something.

Erika, mommy to 4 blessings -
Nathan (8), Emily (4), Joshua (22 months) and Luke (1.9.11)

My Blog - Musings From a SAHM

July 16th, 2010, 10:40 AM
Platinum Supermommy
We converted Asher's to a toddler bed for a day and he just fell out of it. So we went ahead and bought him a twin bed, which worked much better.

July 16th, 2010, 10:42 AM
bcmommy0409's Avatar Super Mommy
We didn't buy the boards (forgot the proper term) to extend it any further than the crib. However by the time we are done using it as a crib, it will have at least eight years of use out of it.
Hudson Joseph 12-28-2010
July 16th, 2010, 10:45 AM
Crystal713's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Crystal713
Both my boys have convertible cribs. Eli is still in his crib and Evans is now a toddler bed. I love them!

July 16th, 2010, 10:50 AM
here are the two I like the styles of and would need the dresser (not chest) to also put changing unit on: Sorelle Vicki 4-in-1 Convertible Crib - Espresso - C International - Babies "R" Us , Delta Venetian Lifetime Convertible Crib - Cherry - Delta - Babies "R" Us . I read all the ratings and our local store has them both found out to look at. (I should be able to actually LEAVE THE HOUSE soon!!!) I just bawl like a lunatic when I think of buying a crib as DH and myself have been through so much to get here and I keep thinking, is this for real? Will we really have a baby this time? I know the doc said it is less than 5% chance of m/c at this point, but ahhh!!! Sorry for the emotional rant!!!

Any other crib or website suggestions are welcome

July 16th, 2010, 11:01 AM
Mega Super Mommy
We have a convertible but our kids are so close in age we haven't been able to use it! My son started in a toddler bed shortly after my daughter was born so she could use the crib and now we're buying DS a regular twin bed to use so DD can use the toddler bed and new baby can have the crib.

February, 2005
August, 2005
July 16th, 2010, 12:26 PM
ToriLeigh's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I've got two, and I like them. We used my daughter's as a toddler bed for a while and them made it into a full size bed. It fits with regular bed rails, the ones I had are too short to fit right, but you can buy them at any furniture store. My son is still using his as a crib but he will use it as a toddler bed too. I will turn dd's back into a crib for new baby and "make" her a pretty headboard.

July 16th, 2010, 02:35 PM
Jeriah's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have one but I have not been able to convert it yet. Every time I get one baby old enough to move out I have another one on the way that needs the crib. I don't have to buy anything extra to convert it to the todler bed. This will be our last baby so we will finally be able to convert it. I can't wait. The only thing that we will need to buy is the rails to convert it to a double bed but we still have a few years before we have to worry about that. We also bought a fairly expensive one from a furniture store and not target or walmart or babies r us. I am not sure if that makes a difference with how long they will hold up. We have had ours for over 3 years now and it is still in perfect condition. It converts by just taking a couple of screws out.

EXPECTING Nathan Morgan January 8th

Mason Lee April 21, 2009
Cameron Bazil May 28, 2007
Jeriah and Bradley May 31, 2003
July 16th, 2010, 02:40 PM
Mommy2Aiden's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We love ours. We converted it to a toddler bed for DS. We plan to convert it back for this one and either give it to him/her or use it as a guest bed. It can convert from crib-toddler bed- day bed- full bed. It beats losing the money only on a crib once a child is out of it.

July 16th, 2010, 04:23 PM
TanyaZ's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
we have a convertable crib. We got it when we were pregnant with our first. We have used the converstion quite a bit, but blake may not get to use it cos he will be 18/19mths when the bub is born and thats about when we change the crib to a toddler bed. There is 3yrs between each of my kids so they got to use it alot, definitely worth the money here.
July 16th, 2010, 04:31 PM
JessnMatt11
We ended up getting a convertible crib. What I love about it is that it's so sturdy. We already put it together because I was so anxious - it was a major PITA to put together but it's solid. Here's is the one we got and we paid a quarter of what's listed on the website.

Babi Italia Pinehurst Lifestyle Convertible Crib - Espresso - Babi Italia - Babies "R" Us
July 16th, 2010, 06:44 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Our crib converts to the toddler bed, but not the full size bed. We converted it to toddler bed when DD was around 2 years old, but she didn't like it and cried herself to sleep at night. So, we eventually converted it back to the crib for her. She eventually went straight from the crib to a big bed around 3 years old. So, we didn't use the convertible part of our crib. But, who knows, maybe we'll use it this time around.

Tags
convertible cribs

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search