Scrapping a loss?

Forum: Paper Scrapbooking

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Paper Scrapbooking LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 2nd, 2010, 05:40 PM
JanessaFaith's Avatar Scrapaholic
I like to think that my scrapbooks tell the story of my life. I like to think that someday my children and grandchilren & so on will look at my scrapbooks and get a feel for who I am and things I've done. Mostly, I scrap the happy things. The trips, the family, the pets, etc. I've never had anything really sad to scrap about. No deaths of anyone close to me or anything. Until now... I had my miscarriage in August and I've planned to scrap it. I have pictures of the flowers people sent, my hospital bracelets, and some cards. Mostly I want to tell the story... how happy we were when we found out we were pregnant and how sad we were after our hospital stay, and everything in between. But how do you scrap something like that? I don't want to use bright happy colors, but I don't want it to be black and look so depressing. I'm just not sure how to go about it, or if I even should. I don't know how people will react looking at all the happy stuff then coming across something so sad, and jumping right back into the happy. I may do it and leave it out, tuck it away somewhere for me for a while... I don't know. I just feel like it should be acknowedged, because it was, and still is, a big deal to me.

So what I'm asking is, if you were gonna scrap something like this, how would you go about it?

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggie!!

Follow Me!

November 2nd, 2010, 06:27 PM
Captain Pieffle
I would definitely scrapbook it. It was a huge experience for you. I think it would be great do tell the story. I had a misscarriage in Feb 2010. I was only 10 weeks, and I hadn't yet told anyone as that would have been baby number 3 for us. I didn't do a page of the misscarriage, but I did mention it on one of my "about me" pages. I like to refer to my miscarriage as my "Angel Baby" I don't like the term miscarriage....personal thing.

When I read your message I seen in my head clouds, angel pictures and lots of journalling. You can even do hidden journalling for some of the more intimate parts of the story. I think a page like that I wouldn't neccessarily put a title on it, that way people would have to read the story..unless I called it "Angel Baby"

Good luck with scrapping this and I'd love to see what you come up with.

I have done some pages of peopel I have lost....my Dad, and my Nan...but those pages were lists....10 things my nan taught me and 10 things I miss about my dad. and I used Red for my dad's page (he loved Coca Cola) and Navy for my Nan's page because the picture I used she had a navy shirt on in it. you could pull a color out of the flowers and use it as your background....I'd use a deep color...maybe earthy toned?

Anyway that's just my ideas...Sorry to ramble!

Thanks to leecat for making my Awesome siggy!
November 2nd, 2010, 06:53 PM
Don't be sorry for the ramble, I really appreciate it! I don't usually say "miscarriage", it's usually "loss" I guess. Like I'll say "....but then we lost the baby." I wasn't really thinking about a title and definitely will have a TON of journaling. But hiding journaling is a good idea! Because I want to tell the whooole story, like I did in my blog. But that's a lot to read, and it's pretty emotional. Everyone says they cried reading my blog and I don't want people to be sitting over my scrapbook crying. LOL. So definitely hidden journaling would be good! I've just been thinking a lot about it because it's the next thing on my list to scrap, and I'm just having a hard time figuring it out. It's still pretty fresh. I may wait a little while before I scrap it. I want to get it right.

I'm so sorry about your loss. I was 11 weeks but the baby had stopped growing at 8 1/2.

I think I need to start doing the occasional "About Me" page. I never scrap just myself but if I really want my scrapbooks to convey who I am, perhaps I should!

Follow Me!

November 2nd, 2010, 06:58 PM
babyloves2dance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
So sorry about your loss Janessa. I did a page about my loss (I had a m/c February 2009 - 12 weeks). I don't have any pictures or objects to scrap - just words. I am planning on just keeping this page and any others I may do about my loss in a seperate album. I have even thought about getting a 12 X 12 frame and framing this page - not sure yet though. Here is the page I did - I chose to use pastels:

Missing our angel since February 17, 2009

Come join us!! Click on the blinkies below to follow me there!

Last edited by babyloves2dance; November 2nd, 2010 at 07:01 PM.
November 2nd, 2010, 07:17 PM
Beautiful.

Is that a poem or journaling?

A separate album isn't a bad idea. I had actually thought about scrapping the TTC process since it's so long for m. It wouldn't be pictures much, but a lot of journaling. But idk if I would be able to make a whole album out of it.

Follow Me!

November 2nd, 2010, 07:27 PM
babyloves2dance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It is a poem - one of the many I have collected since my loss. I still want to do a page with journaling about that day but haven't decided how I want to do that page yet. I liked Lisa's idea about the hidden journaling.

Missing our angel since February 17, 2009

Come join us!! Click on the blinkies below to follow me there!

November 2nd, 2010, 07:35 PM
Captain Pieffle
Here is a page I did that's "about me"

The bottom journalling is my day on a timeline kinda thing.

I know this isn't really what you were looking for in the sense of this thread...but wanted to share with you.

On a side note...since you have a lot of journalling and you probably don't want to leave anything out....you could do a page on different parts of the journalling...does that makes sense? You could likely fill a book that way.

Thanks to leecat for making my Awesome siggy!
November 2nd, 2010, 08:41 PM
Tamaralynnb's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
you have been given some wonderful ideas, ladies i am so sorry for you all, i can't imagine the pain you all went through, Kelsey that is a beautiful page. Jenessa i was going ti suggest you use pastel colors as well and i think you should make a page or pages about your loss. the hidden journaling is a great idea too if you only want to do one page. Lisa that is a beautiful page about you as well.

Thank you bokkechick for my fantastic Siggy

November 3rd, 2010, 05:42 AM
Sasix's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
You have been given some wonderful suggestions and I don't have much to add - except to show you the page I did with hidden journaling. In our case, this was the heartache we went thru finding out during our TTC journey that DH has severe MFI and how we ended up using donor sperm with IUI to conceive, and then how very happy we were to finally get that BFP.

I love the idea of using pastels and soft colors. You could also make a pocket for the hidden journaling and place the cards in there as well. And if the hospital band is too bulky, you can always scan it in and then use a picture.

Thanks Jaidynsmum for another perfect siggy!!
November 3rd, 2010, 06:41 AM
2pinks&ablue's Avatar Chantelle
I have yet to do a page for my Angel Baby, but I intend to when the right thought comes to mind, you've been given some great ideas here!
November 3rd, 2010, 11:20 AM
Thanks for sharing that, Becky!

Follow Me!

November 3rd, 2010, 11:56 AM
LeedaRenee's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi, I know I don't post here much but here's the layout I did about my loss right before my son:

November 3rd, 2010, 12:11 PM
That's a beautiful LO, thanks for sharing!

Follow Me!

November 4th, 2010, 05:08 AM
Sasix's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
That is a beautiful layout LeedaRenee. Thanks for sharing with us, and please fill free to stick around with us here.

Thanks Jaidynsmum for another perfect siggy!!
November 4th, 2010, 06:42 AM
C&K'sMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I never scrapped my loss, but for me I had the same questions about scrapping DD's diagnosis. To me it's not a happy joyous thing so I didn't want to use bright and I wasn't sure how to make it not super depressing. I used a sweet pink and a darker one, but I think the pastels are great too. I just think you're going for "serene" rather than happy or depressing.

If I were to scrap my loss (pregnant 6 years ago and lost it at 12 weeks) I think I'd want to do it in bright colors. Not because the loss was happy but because that was my child. I would tend toward "what could have been" vs a "loss" and I'd want my page to reflect that.

"Disability is not a brave struggle or ‘courage in the face of adversity.’ Disability is an art. It’s an ingenious way to live."
November 4th, 2010, 08:04 AM
Brittanie's Avatar just me
My Cora has her own scrapbook. But since I was full term I had more pictures of me pregnant and such things. Here's just a couple of hers

I have a lot of pictures of the flowers we got, and a couple pages of just journaling explaining what happened. The pages of the lake and the flowers are where we spread her ashes and her birthdays and such.

November 7th, 2010, 08:51 PM
Tamaralynnb's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Brittanie those are such beautiful pages, thank you so much for sharing them

Thank you bokkechick for my fantastic Siggy

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search