Vinyl - Anyone Used It?

Forum: Paper Scrapbooking

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Paper Scrapbooking LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 9th, 2010, 04:14 AM
mandalyn's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
So I have a project I have been working on for the Curves where I workout. The club just moved to a new location and they were looking to do the signs in vinyl. They got the original Cricut that had the George font and wanted to do everything in it. No one there knew anything about the operation of it, so I volunteered. What was I thinking? Just over two weeks ago I ordered 8 rolls of vinyl, the 12x24 mats and the transfer tape and everything finally came in this past Thursday. I got around to cutting it Saturday morning. I have weeded most of the stuff out, but I have no idea what to do with the transfer tape. Does anyone know the point of the transfer tape? I'm not doing phrases so much as letters, so I don't know if I really need it. I would like them to have the freedom to place the letters as they want, so do I really need the transfer tape? Will it be more difficult to hang if I don't have the transfer tape? Does it really make it easier to use the tape? Any ideas?

November 9th, 2010, 05:33 AM
Sasix's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Wow! You are ambitious! I've not worked with vinyl so I have no advice or suggestions to offer. Good luck & I hope some of the other ladies here can help with suggestions.

Thanks Jaidynsmum for another perfect siggy!!
November 9th, 2010, 05:52 AM
michka83's Avatar Veteran
I lurk on this board from time to time, so I hope you don't mind me jumping in...

I've never used vinyl with the cricut, but I worked for a race team that had in-house vinyl capabilities (printing, laminating, cutting, etc). I've seen and assisted with vinyl applied to race cars, walls, glass doors, street vehicles etc, and I think it's much, much easier to do with transfer tape especially if the person applying it doesn't have a lot of experience with it.

Basically the transfer tape goes over the 'right' side of the decal. That way when you peel the backing off to apply it to the surface, you still have something to hold on to, secure in place, etc as you apply the decal to the surface. Without the transfer tape, it would be very easy for the decal to twist, turn or otherwise stick to itself while you're trying to apply it. We would also use small pieces of masking tape to hold the vinyl in place while we leveled the decal, made sure it was in the right spot, etc. Then, since the masking tape was stuck to the transfer tape, we would leave one side secured and peel the backing from the other side, keeping everything in place and exactly where it needed to go. Then we'd smooth it down using a credit card or firm flat edge and remove the transfer tape from the surface.

The transfer tape also works as a buffer when you're smoothing out air bubbles when you apply the decal and it helps you to be able to re-lift or re-position (as long as it hasn't been firmly stuck in place) to work out air bubbles.

Once you cut the letter(s) and peel away the excess vinyl, apply the transfer tape over the letter(s). If you have multiple letters, you can cut them a part to allow for individual placement.

I hope some of that makes sense... I'm still sleepy.

Last edited by michka83; November 9th, 2010 at 05:55 AM.
November 9th, 2010, 06:19 AM
mandalyn's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
No, that makes perfect sense, Michelle. I thought it was a waste, but now that I read your information, I get it. Looks like I'll be cutting lots and lots of transfer tape now, lol. Thank you so much!!

November 9th, 2010, 07:08 AM
michka83's Avatar Veteran
Glad it made sense! I spent a lot of hours watching the guys print/cut/apply decals.

You can apply the transfer tape to the vinyl in rectangles, sheets, etc... it doesn't have to be cut in the same shape as the decal.

I found this video on YouTube that might help... he's using clear transfer tape. Yours may or may not be as see-through as what he's using but you get the idea: YouTube - How to apply vinyl decals
November 9th, 2010, 08:40 AM
2pinks&ablue's Avatar Chantelle
I wondered the same thing, thanks for the information! I have some binyl, but haven't used it yet.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search