Card Making

Forum: Paper Scrapbooking

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Paper Scrapbooking LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 15th, 2010, 10:10 PM
JanessaFaith's Avatar Scrapaholic
I want to get into card making! But I need some tips! Are there any supplies that aren't typical scrapbooking supplies? Is stamping a must (I see that a lot on cards)? What are some of your favorite card making techniques? And what size do you normally do? Okay I think that's about it, but any advice you have would be appreciated! And I'll definitely start checking out the card gallery more!

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggie!!

Follow Me!

November 16th, 2010, 05:18 AM
mandalyn's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't use any different supplies for cards. I buy the already scored cards and envelopes. That's just easier for me. Sometimes I use stamps and sometimes I don't. I usually use card maps or layouts to make it easier. Granted, my cards never turn out like what it's supposed. I like cards, but they just seem too easy.

November 16th, 2010, 05:28 AM
Sasix's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I use my same supplies too. I have done as Amanda has and bought pre-scored cards, but I also have made my own. (If you don't have a boning folder, you can use a good ole kitchen spoon rounded side to smooth the edges) I sometimes follow sketches, scraplift from others, or just play til I have something I like. They are easy (but can also be time consuming just like a scrap page ) and I like that I can usually make them quickly. I stamp sometimes, other times I print the saying with the computer & adhere to the card. I typically stick to standard sizes so the cards can be mailed with standard rate. For odd shapes (squares, oversized, bulky) they are typically hand carried to the individual.

I haven't played around with my cricut yet for card making, but do plan to do that soon. So many of the carts have these adorable card features on them. And I do have the Wild Card cricut cart too, and can't wait to start playing with those cards too.

I looked at your card in the card gallery, and it's adorable!! I don't know why you think it's not a good one. You silly girl.

Thanks Jaidynsmum for another perfect siggy!!
November 16th, 2010, 08:07 AM
Brittanie's Avatar just me
I've only done the one, and it was lifted from a friend's last year! lol. It's 4x6, and has a picture inside. I didn't have a boning folder though, I just used my plastic ruler.

November 16th, 2010, 10:05 AM
Well thanks Becky, I guess it's just so plain. I like the inside of it.

Thanks for all the tips so far. I've never heard of a boning folder, lol, is that for making the crease?

I went to bed last night thinking of card ideas.

Follow Me!

November 16th, 2010, 10:44 AM
yes the boning folder is for getting a good crease. I posted a link for some card ideas for you.

November 16th, 2010, 01:38 PM
babyloves2dance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Some supplies I use more for my cards than for scrapbooking are: bone folder, brayer, ink, stamps, embossing powder, heat gun, versa mark, embossing folders for my big kick and maybe soon a glue pad and glitter. Like Becky said - you can also use your Cricut to make cards too. I have really started getting into the heat embossing and trying different techniques (which I am trying to post all the techniques I try and all of the card tutorials I have done in the techniques subforum). I make 5 1/2 by 4 1/4 inch cards (pretty standard - 1/2 of a sheet of 8 1/2 by 11 paper) and make them all from scratch. Depending on what kind of card you make (plain fold, sliding card, easel card, pop up card, flip flop card, etc.) and what techniques you use will determine the difficulty of the card.

Splitcoaststampers.com is where I get a lot of my card tutorials and some of the techniques. Here is the link to their resources page: Resources: Tutorials for Card Making, Craft Techniques & Projects - Splitcoaststampers

Missing our angel since February 17, 2009

Come join us!! Click on the blinkies below to follow me there!

November 16th, 2010, 03:58 PM
Thanks for the link Kelsey! I don't have most of the items you mentioned. I guess I'll have to go shopping! But I'll start playing around with what I've got first. I'm glad you mentioned paper size. I never buy 8 1/2 x 11 so next time I make it to a craft store I'll have to get some!

Follow Me!

November 16th, 2010, 04:25 PM
babyloves2dance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Forgot to mention, 5 1/2 by 4 1/4 cards fit an A2 size envelope.

You can use 12 by 12 paper - just requires more cutting.

I started out with hardly any of that stuff and have just slowly added to it. Gets pretty pricey pretty fast...especially if you start investing in stamps! Ebay can be a good place for stamp sets. I have gotten some sets for 99 cents + shipping (approx $6.00 total for 1 stamp set) - and they are SU stamps too. I also got my embossing powder, heat gun and ink off of ebay.

Missing our angel since February 17, 2009

Come join us!! Click on the blinkies below to follow me there!

November 16th, 2010, 04:31 PM
I used 12x12 for my cards. I got 3 cards from a sheet.

November 16th, 2010, 04:57 PM
Brittanie, what size do you cut the paper to?

I have some stamps that someone gave me. I think they're Stampin' Up. I'll have to play with them. Only I don't have ink. Do you use just a regular ink pad? There's so much I don't know. And spending time here is getting me interested in learning so much more.

Follow Me!

November 16th, 2010, 06:52 PM
Well, I wanted to put a 4x6 photo in it, so I cut the paper into 3 4x12 strips and folded them in half.

I still need to get a picture of my family taken...somehow. lol.

November 16th, 2010, 07:14 PM
Easy enough! I'll have to try that!

Follow Me!

November 17th, 2010, 04:51 AM
Do you have a tripod, Brittanie? Or set the camera up across the room on a tv, table, etc. That's how DH & I get alot of our family pics taken.

Janessa - you've been given lots of great suggestions here. I can't wait to see you make some cards to. As far as stamps, I like the acrylic better then the wood block ones. They take up alot less space and are usually less pricey. Also sign up for the JoAnn, Michaels, AC Moore coupons. They'll be emailed to you and I typically get about 1 a week and they're 40% sometimes 50% off a regular price item. Here, all 3 take each other's coupons. I'm not sure if Hobby Lobby has the same coupon, I'll have to check that out.

November 17th, 2010, 10:29 AM
Thanks Becky, I'll definitely have to sign up to get coupons! We don't have an AC Moore anywhere that I know of, but we've got the rest!

I'm gonna try my hand at a few cards today. I have ideas, just hoping I can execute them right!

Follow Me!

November 17th, 2010, 10:42 AM
I'm sure you'll do just fine. They are alot of fun to do, and you can use many of the same supplies you already have to.

and since you don't have many stamps yet, you can always print out your text (greeting on front or inside messages) then cut and matt with paper for the card. I do that at times even now & I have way too many stamps.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search