Log In Sign Up

Darion's birth story - Born 3/15/13

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree9Likes
  • 4 Post By MsRK
  • 1 Post By ThaiSpice
  • 1 Post By ACMinAK
  • 1 Post By *Anya*
  • 1 Post By MommysPocket
  • 1 Post By Purrrrrrr

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2013 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 17th, 2013, 07:09 PM
MsRK's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,611
Well I can honestly say that I have NEVER done anything evenremotely so intense in my life.

We had a beautiful private room and the nurses were nothingshort of fantastic. We were taken to ourprivate room right away at 8am and got settled. It was me, my mother, fatherand DH.

They got me all hooked up and started taking my pressureevery 15 minutes and it was HIGH!!! I was nervous, anxious the whole nine andalready had high blood pressure so they tried to give me time to calm down.When I was laying on my left side I was in the low 130s/80 but when I sat up Iwas 175/90-180/102 it was horrid. So they decided to start me on magnesium sulfatewhich I didn’t want to happen. Thankfully I suffered none of the side effectsfrom it and thought I was doing well and got away with something.

The next med that they gave me was Cycotec to thin my cervixand hopefully start me dilating. I wassupposed to have three doses. (One every 3 hours) But after the second dose Iwas already having contractions that were 5-6 minutes apart. Some were alreadygetting majorly intense too. They offered me pain medication but I know thatthey pass through to the placenta and I didn’t want to risk it since I alreadyhad the magnesium sulfate iv in which can pass through as well. I wanted tohold out until I needed the epidural.

So I was able to do focused breathing through any badcontractions. It really wasn’t horrible and my brother also arrived and theywere all talking and sharing stories, laughing and this kept my mind off of anypain and cramps that I was having

At 11:30pm I wasdilated to 3-4cm so they started the first low dose of pitocin to speed up thedilation and such. Soon after is when I requested the epidural. Thecontractions were way different after the pitocin. They were much sharper, as Iwas told they would be. But after I had the epidural it was fine and I was numband sleepy. My brother and father left to go to me and DH’s house and my motherstayed with me and DH.

We were told way back that we could only have one person inthe room when it was time to push so my mother would have to go to the family pavilionwhen it was that time. But I thought to ask one of the nurses and she said thatwe could have three people in the room. I was SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO glad and so wasmy mother. The doctor told us that she would probably have to break my water inthe morning if progress was still this slow. She said that we would have toplay it by ear and see how the morning progressed.

I was able to sleep most of the night because of theepidural and through the contractions no sweat. So that was amazing. I wasgetting woken up multiple times for tests and they wanted to check my vitals,lungs, reflexes and pressure each time because of the epidural and the magnesium.(not to mention the pre-e and diabetes)


I was smooth sailing and they gradually had the dose ofpitocin increasing.. around 5:30am I was woken up by a sharp contraction that was ONLY at thefront lower abdominal area. Then the next few contractions were the same butVERY strong and I had to work hard to breathe through them. Then, all of a suddenI FELT something pop and I told DH.. Either darion just hit me hard in weirdplace since he is lower or something is wrong because I just felt something popor snap inside of me. We were talking about it for a few minutes and all of asudden I felt wetness. The nurse had just walked into the room and I said, I thinkthat my water may have broke. She took a look and sure enough.. my water hadbroken on its own.

This also made me realize.. HEY I’m FEELING wetness on theepidural. I also noticed then that mylegs and feet weren’t that numb anymore. So I mentioned that to the nurse andshe did the ice test to see where I was feeling wet/cold along my skin and itwas a LOT of places that was supposed to be numb. So they called the anesthesiologistback and she gave me another dose of medicine because when we pushed the buttonfor an extra dose from the epidural hooked up to the IV I was feeling NOdifference at all. So the anesthesiologist gave me a top off of medicine and Iwent back to numb again.

We tried to nap some more but around 7amish I noticed I wasfeeling the contractions more and more and my feet and legs were againreturning to normal. I told the nurse and we tried to push the button for anextra dose into the IV and NOOOO difference. Now the contractions were comingevery 3-4 minutes and as time ticked by I was less and less numb. By 8:20am I wasclutching my mother’s hands and was groaning in extreme pain trying to breathethrough my contractions, I couldn’t talk or anything during them. She wassaying that the pitocin was making them extra painful for me and asked thenurse if they could call the anesthesiologist back to try again.

This time a different anesthesiologist came in and he gaveme a top off but this time… NOTHING! Not a single bit of relief. So my originalepidural I could still feel fading away and the pitocin induced contractionswere now at every 2-3 minutes and were HELL. Worse and worse and worse as theywent on. I have a HIGH pain tolerance but this was like nothing I have everexperienced in my LIFE. DH was providing counter pressure which was taking SOMEof the edge off and I was squeezing both of my mothers hands so hard andgroaning while trying to breathe through blinding pain. The nurse peakedbetween my legs and said, Oh there is some bloody show here, I think you areclose let me call in the doctor.

My mother wasAMAZINGGGG she talked me through every single contraction. Telling me how Icould do this, making sure that I keptbreathing, telling me to focus on her words and envision myself on the beach(my favorite place) she would describe the sand and water and would tell me togo there while I breath in then exhale and blow the pain away… Just tons of tactics to keep me sane. Because I was starting to slip… BIGTIME. DH was staying on top of the counter pressureand telling me that I could do it and when the contraction was coming down onthe monitor. It was so painful that I was getting severely nauseous from thepain. I was bunched along one side of the bed and just dying!!!!

The doctor came in and she checked me between contractionsand said.. “Well guess what.. you are fully dilated, let’s get set up”(BEST NEWS I HAVE EVER HEARD!! *lol*) So while they setup I continued to just try to make it throughthe crazy pitocin contractions. But theytold me that I could bare down during the contractions now and that helped agood deal. But I was NOT handling it all well.. I started squeezing my mother’shands tightly and I was just shaking like crazy. I would just freeze up and clench tight andforget to breathe. The doctor kept saying how sorry she was but the pitocincontractions are so much worse than normal contractions but they can’t try tofix it now because I am about to begin pushing.

I just thought… DEARGOD… please don’t make me need to push this baby for another two hours.. I hadalready been braving through just two hours of pitocin contractions and Ithought I was going to die and I am NO ONEs WUSS!! I can take some pain. Butagain this was not even pain.. it was HORRID! I kept mumbling “I can do this..I can do this, I can do this” and my mother was saying “Of course you can!” Andall of the nurses and doctors were rooting for me too.

So they got everything setup and it was about 9:40ish andthey sat me up and the doctor had DH hold up one of my legs and my mother holdthe other and she told me how she wanted me to push. The next contraction camerolling around and they had me start pushing.. and everyone said “OH MY GOD..THE HEAD” They could already see his head from my first push! So the doctortold me to keep pushing and his head crowned RIGHT THERE! Everyone was soexcited because he was coming so fast and it helped me deal!!!

So on the next contraction they had me push again.. mymother held one leg with one arm and grab me behind my neck and pulled meupright more and it helped me push SO much harder and out popped his head! Thedoctor had to tell me to stop pushing while they removed the monitor from hishead! On the next contraction hisshoulders popped out and the doctor and nurses both screamed “OHH PUSH AGAIN..He’s almost out” SO I pushed once more as hard as I could and out he slid! JUSTLIKE THAT!!

He was here at 9:54am and I just broke down crying andimmediately reached out for him.. The nurses unsnapped my hospital gown and laid him right on my bare flesh and tried to wipe him off as fast as theycould and then and covered us up. I kept saying thank you to everyone throughthe tears and I told darion ..”Mommy and daddy have waited forever for you” ..Heis sooooo beautiful!!!! The nurses were rubbing his back and stuff to get himto cry and his cry was so cute. He has SO MUCH HAIR! *lol*

So they let me hold him for a long while before taking himto do the rest of the tests and such that he needed. But they stayed in theroom with him the whole time. And DH was crying and kissing me and I kepthugging my mom and saying thank you a billion times to her and DH.

The doctor told me that I had a very small tear, it onlyrequired a few stitches so its nothing major and she got me all stitched upthen she delivered the placenta and that was the end of the slight pain that Ihad left and I just collapsed back on the bed.

I started to feel really woozy when all was said and doneand they came to check the pad that they placed and I had soaked it. I wasbleeding a LOT! So they had to get me sorted … I had to get some suppositoriesand a shot in my leg to stop the bleeding and they did a lot of (sometimespainful) massaging of my uterus. But they finally got the bleeding to stop andI started to recover and feel more awake and alive.

Darion’s APGAR was7/9. So he was 100% fine… There isnothing wrong with him even though he was delivered early and he has latched 3of the 4 times that I have tried to feed him today which is NOT bad at all. Ifeel so blessed to have our little baby finally after so much time and tryingand heartbreak. He is PERFECT !!!

Here is the pic that I took of him on my mobile phone. Iwill add more shortly but now.. I’m going to try and get some sleep.
Thank you everyone for all of the well wishes and prayers!!!!
Reply With Quote
March 17th, 2013, 07:24 PM
ThaiSpice's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: May 2009
Location: AR
Posts: 19,888

Congrats again, and thanks for sharing!
MsRK likes this.

Last edited by ThaiSpice; March 19th, 2013 at 08:16 AM.
Reply With Quote
March 18th, 2013, 10:55 PM
ACMinAK's Avatar Regular
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Anchorage, AK
Posts: 74
Congrats on your beautiful little boy! Thank you for sharing your experience, it makes me all the more anxious`to finally meet my little one All the best to you and your family!
MsRK likes this.
Reply With Quote
March 18th, 2013, 11:16 PM
*Anya*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Bay Area. CA
Posts: 11,030
MsRK likes this.
Reply With Quote
March 19th, 2013, 04:01 PM
MommysPocket's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,272
Can't believe its been almost a week already! We need an update or at least another picture!
MsRK likes this.

Reply With Quote
March 20th, 2013, 07:23 PM
Purrrrrrr's Avatar Semi-crunchy Mommy
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Georgia
Posts: 1,715
Lurking from May:

Congrats! I had the same issue with the epidural with my son. I'm immune to numbing meds but they kept saying, oh it's a continuous thing and here's a button you can use to turn it up! Yeaaaaaaaaah, no, hahaha. This time I'm going all natural.

Your little one is adorable! So much hair!
MsRK likes this.

My Boring Blog
Reply With Quote
March 26th, 2013, 05:08 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 6,905
Congrats again!!
Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:58 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0