Log In Sign Up

Aaron's Arrival

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree7Likes
  • 6 Post By Mel_Kay
  • 1 Post By ThaiSpice

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2013 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 11th, 2013, 06:41 PM
Mel_Kay's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: May 2005
Location: TX
Posts: 2,360
On Thursday April 4th at approximately 7:40pm I sat up from the couch and felt a small amount of wetness. I was headed to the bathroom and assumed maybe I had leaked a little urine. As I sat down to potty I kept leaking fluid even after I had emptied my bladder. I sat a little shocked for several minutes to see if maybe I was imagining things. I was only 36weeks and 6days along and hadn't had any regular contractions. I had noticed throughout the day I was having more than normal but never thought about timing them. So I called my husband (who was trying to wrangle my 3 boys into showers and getting them ready for bed) into the bathroom to tell him I thought my water had broke. He, for the 3rd pregnancy and 3rd water breaking in a row didn't believe me. I put on a pad, got up to call my mom and tell her I felt my water had broken. I was certain it had and sure enough as I was talking to her I had another gushing leak that soaked the pad, my undies and pants. By then I showed hubby, he believed me and we started scrambling around to get the boys bathed.

First I called labor and delivery to see if I should come in or if I could wait it out a bit. I had not received the results of my groupB strep and since I didn't know the results they wanted me to come in. Once there they could check if my results had been sent over from the Dr. After this I called my youngest brother and SIL who live 45minutes away. They headed our way and finally at 9:15pm we headed to l&d.

In triage they checked my urine and did a vaginal swab to see if my waters had infact ruptured...this test came back positive. The triage nurse checked my cervix and with excruciating pain I watched as the nurse was literally elbow deep trying to find my cervix. Little man was still very high up in my ribs and my cervix hadn't dilated at all! I was completely closed. Once they said those words I knew I was in for a long night. Since the groupb results had not been sent, and since I had tested positive with my last two babies, they admitted me. I was then notified that although I REALLY had to pee, that I was not allowed up to walk around since my water had ruptured and then I had my first experience peeing in a bed pan...NOT pleasant! I was a little ticked knowing that I couldn't walk around and really mad knowing that walking could help the baby move down. From triage they rolled my bed down to labor and delivery and I was moved to another bed and they immediately hooked up an iv to begin saline and antibiotics. There I would labor all night with the intent of going natural, it was something I was really hopeful to do.

A lot of my laboring is a blur as I had a massive migraine throughout the entire labor. At one point I was given tylenol with the intention of it working (yeah right) and I was asked almost the instant I was rolled into labor and delivery if I wanted an epidural....what? I wasn't even in pain at that time and turned the epidural down. I was amazed how many times I was asked if I was ready for the epidural. They started pitocin at 4-5am (I think) and I was so very crushed knowing how painful pitocin is and how much I hated it...but there was only so much we could do and with being stuck in the bed the whole time my body just wasn't jumping into labor like it should.

At 7am and with the rotation of the nurses, I was checked again and very disappointed to hear that I was FINALLY dilated to a ONE....A ONE! This was 12 hours after my water had broken. It was then that I was growing even more frustrated with my situation, I was handling the contractions well and trying all the relaxation techniques I had learned. The only thing that was really painful was the migraine, it was making me sick and the tylenol didn't even put a dent in it. I was unable to sleep the whole night because of my head, and from the nurses running in and out every 15-20 minutes to adjust the fetal monitor because little man was moving too much and kept knocking the monitor off. At about 9am, contractions were a bit worse but I was still managing them fairly well but with the pain of my headache I asked the nurse if there was something else to help with the pain. They offered either more tylenol (which was a joke to this migraine) or stadol....I took the stadol which is funny that my reasoning was more to help with the migraine pain than the contractions. The stadol knocked me out instantly and I slept better than I have slept in 9 months! It did help keep knock the migraine down temporarily.

At 11am the nurse checked again and I was only a 3! That's it, I lost it! I could not believe that for someone who's last labor was 4 hours long that I had labored for 15 hours only to find out I was 3cm dilated. After much thought and consideration, I decided to get the epidural. Although I had been handling the contractions for 15 hours, I knew that we needed to get more serious to get this baby down and out. By 12pm I had my epidural in place and was able to relax a little more.

1:30pm my Mom and Dad had dropped Isaac off at preschool and were headed in to see me. They made it and while there I began shaking, and knew it meant I was dilating more. They sent my parents out, checked my cervix and I was finally 4.5cm! Still a bit frustrated, I did try to keep some humor and told the nurse that with my first son I was stuck at 4.5 for the longest and threatened with a c-section and that once I hit 5cm I went from a 5 to 10 in 40 minutes. She said, well hopefully that will be the case this time too! My parents made it back in the room and just sat down when the nurse said she wanted to check me again, she checked, I was 6cm. My parents started coming back in and the nurse said she was calling the Dr. and by the time my parents made it to the waiting room, I was 8cm. Then what seemed like 2 minutes later I was complete.

This time, I went from 4.5-10 centimeters in 20 minutes!! It was crazy and the nurse was blown away. I knew it was happening because I have gotten really shakey the last few centimeters with all babies. At 2:04pm on April 5, 2013 Aaron Kade literally shot out into the Drs. arms and onto my chest. It was INCREDIBLY overwhelming! He weighed in at 6lbs. 13oz. and 20 inches long. He was here and suddenly the 17 hours of labor seemed to disappear. I did end up with a tear that required two stitches, I was a little bummed about that as I hadn't had any stitches since the episiotomy I received from my first delivery.

After the delivery we had an hour of skin to skin time. It was just hubby, Aaron and I. Such a sweet moment. Aaron was ticked off the whole time though! He wasn't happy to be here, he wasn't ready to come out.

Around 6pm my parents brought the boys to meet their new baby brother. It was such a beautiful moment. Their faces were lit up in pure awe of him. Isaac, who has spent nearly 5 years as the baby of the family was so happy to meet him. When he was holding him he asked if we could "keep taking turns holding him over and over and over".

The nursing staff I had were AMAZING! I was thankful they were so great to work with. I did have several other issues though like not being able to walk around in labor and then not being moved into a post partum room. At 10pm I asked my nurse if I was going to be moved into a post partum room. She told me I would not because they were all full. I was livid! At this point I had spent 24hours in that delivery bed, I was so sore from the bed. The nurse moved me another bed into the room that was a little better. Finally on Saturday I was moved into post partum and it was like a small paradise! I was treated so much better, they really worked on my pain management and the bed was SO much more comfortable.

Aaron has been such a sleepy head and although he nursed well in the hospital, he has had a little trouble nursing at home simply because he falls asleep as soon as he latches. He is starting to get a little better each day, he has filled our hearts with such joy. In fact, the moment he came out I had this closing moment in which I realized a baby girl just wouldn't fit in our family. This baby boy was very much needed by this Momma, my heart is so full and I am extremely blessed.

Mommy to 4 boys

Last edited by Mel_Kay; April 11th, 2013 at 06:47 PM.
Reply With Quote
April 11th, 2013, 07:25 PM
MommysPocket's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,272
Love it! Sounds long but so rewarding! Congrats everyone!!

Reply With Quote
April 11th, 2013, 08:20 PM
ThaiSpice's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: May 2009
Location: AR
Posts: 19,851
Congrats again mama! Sorry about the slow start...sounds like you made up for it between 4.5 and 10, though! Glad he's here and healthy!
Mel_Kay likes this.

Reply With Quote
April 11th, 2013, 10:13 PM
plastikmom's Avatar Super Mommy
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: South carolina
Posts: 878
Thanks for sharing. Wonderful birth story!
Reply With Quote
April 12th, 2013, 05:10 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: NJ
Posts: 1,249
Wonderful story!
Reply With Quote
April 12th, 2013, 08:28 AM
Mommy in the Making
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 250
So quick to go from 4.5 to 10! That's amazing! Congratulations!!
Reply With Quote
April 12th, 2013, 10:50 AM
Purple_cat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,206
I loved reading your story, thank you for sharing it.
My Ovulation Chart
Reply With Quote
April 14th, 2013, 11:32 AM
sarahlorrain's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,501
Thank you for sharing! Congratulations!
Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:47 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0